Technology

hi team i have a Q for the americans. posters on the board .

i watched a program from the UK.about the legal profession

up dateing to,the computer age.i must ad this only applies to lap tops.

it seems the hdd"s are replacable in the new laptops.much like floppys or cds

there wasnt any connections all that was required was to insert the hdd into a slot and when it was full replace it with another.with out having to.connect it to a ribbon connector.

this article was researched in the usa.

my Q does any one know if this technology applys to desk top compts.

the draw back was it would only take a forty geg hdd at a time.

tho that would last me a life time.

marty

it seems the hdd"s are replacable in the new laptops.much like floppys or cds

there wasnt any connections all that was required was to insert the hdd into a slot and when it was full replace it with another.with out having to.connect it to a ribbon connector.

PCMCIA (PC Card), Compact Flash, Secure Digital, etc, HDDs all work like that (in theory). Normal internal laptop HDDs are also often fairly easily swappable with the use of a screwdriver, but I've never heard of anyone doing it for reasons other than maintenance.

my Q does any one know if this technology applys to desk top compts.

PCMCIA, CF, and SD will work on desktops if you can get the ports. You can also get hot-swap IDE and SCSI kits for more normal drives.

I never have understood why ribbon cables are used directly. It's not like they're easier to use, and the electronics for a fixed connector in each drive bay would probably only cost a few cents per unit in volume.

But then, I still don't understand why we have unique processor, memory, video, drives, etc, connectors in the first place, or why everything isn't hot-swappable. PC hardware just doesn't make much sense to me.