Norton Replacing Ghost With Save & Restore

There's also tighter integration with Symantec's Protection Center, which includes virus protection

Well...... we all know just how good THAT is.

We use Acronis. I'm rather "'puter stupid" and don't find it difficult. I think Norton and Symantec is pricing themselves off the market.

Yes I sure know how hard it is to be rid of old hidden stubborn Norton stuff, still have some of it left over and giving me trouble (I have used Symantec removal tools several times and part of it is still there! :angry: ) which is why I will end up doing a clean install one of these days. :angry:

The reason I posted this was I have seen board people here and elsewhere mentioning Ghost, plus the recent ads for various places listing bundles of Norton stuff with Ghost 10 included prompted me to tell people it is being phased out even though it is less than a year old, and Norton has this new version.

Norton may be a pain in the butt to get rid of, but it's very good at what it does! And I loved the ad blocking feature included in my old Norton firewall programs. Now I have F-Secure Internet Security Suite and it has a totally pathetic pop up/under blocker and forget about it blocking any other ads. Grrr! So am using Google popup blocker which is doing pretty good, but still stuck with regular ads everywhere. Gee I was so blessed to have Norton blocking ads, didn't even know there were so many ads on websites!!! No I don't want to switch browsers, I like IE just fine, and only have Win2000 so don't have XPSP2 IE adblocker. Unfortunately Microsoft was to stingy to update IE in older systems to include their ad blocker. So anyone know a good, SAFE, legitimate, no spyware/malware full ad blocker for all ads?

Pat

God bless everyone

Norton may be a pain in the butt to get rid of, but it's very good at what it does! And I loved the ad blocking feature included in my old Norton firewall programs. Now I have F-Secure Internet Security Suite and it has a totally pathetic pop up/under blocker and forget about it blocking any other ads. Grrr! So am using Google popup blocker which is doing pretty good, but still stuck with regular ads everywhere. Gee I was so blessed to have Norton blocking ads, didn't even know there were so many ads on websites!!! No I don't want to switch browsers, I like IE just fine, and only have Win2000 so don't have XPSP2 IE adblocker. Unfortunately Microsoft was to stingy to update IE in older systems to include their ad blocker. So anyone know a good, SAFE, legitimate, no spyware/malware full ad blocker for all ads?

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by bar5

I trashed Norton a few months ago. I found it sucked @$$ back when I had a major virus scare when 2 attacked at once (idiot brother of mine opened 2 files that were supposedly from his school but they were zipped files that the email meesage claimed had important info, turns out they were 2 exe's disquised as txt's) Norton was the first thing that died. AVG Free Edition to the rescue! It couldn't update but at least it was up to date enough to catch those virsus. System restore and were back to normal. I let my Norton subscription run out uninstalled and deleted every last trace of it (i'm pretty good at eliminating anything I don't want on my system). Now that Noton Internet Security is gone, Sunbelt Kerio has been chuggin along in it's place. My system runs MUCH better cause Norton loves to suck down the power. Kerio don't.

Thanks Barb for recommending SuperAdBlocker, it sure does look good. But I am using F-Secure Internet Security Suite which is very fussy (it deletes, blocks, or denies other programs which I hate!) about not using products that would interfere with it's main items....so if SuperAdBlocker was only an ad blocker I could try it, but it also is an antispyware program. So sigh....until I change IS suites that seems to be out.

I have heard of an ad blocker called WebWasher something...but don't know if it is legitimate or loaded with bad stuff too. It is hard to separate good stuff from bad, at least for me to sort it all out.

Thanks again Barb.

Pat

God bless everyone

Thanks Barb for recommending SuperAdBlocker, it sure does look good. But I am using F-Secure Internet Security Suite which is very fussy (it deletes, blocks, or denies other programs which I hate!) about not using products that would interfere with it's main items....so if SuperAdBlocker was only an ad blocker I could try it, but it also is an antispyware program. So sigh....until I change IS suites that seems to be out.

I have heard of an ad blocker called WebWasher something...but don't know if it is legitimate or loaded with bad stuff too. It is hard to separate good stuff from bad, at least for me to sort it all out.

Thanks again Barb.

Pat

God bless everyone

You are very welcome, Pat. It does have a free trial D/L, but I understand if you do not want to take the chance of screwing up your computer. If I hear of anything else, will let you know.

Take care

Barb