Firefox Help Needed Already.

This is for my Compaq, XP home. Ok I uninstalled firefox PR via ad/remove, no problem there.

Installed the new one 1.0 all went well. Then I was installing a theme, can't remember which one though. After I closed my firefox and went to re open it I get this ( Alert-Error Launching browser window: No XBL Binding for browser ) What happened now ? This is what I tried with no success. I uninstalled firefox via ad/remove then I reinstalled it only to keep getting the same exact error. I uninstalled it once again then did a system restore to an earlier time, then reinstalled it again only to keep getting the same error as mentioned. What the hell did I do wrong ? and what can I do to make it right ??? :wacko:

This Link is the page that has the below text.

Firefox Won't Start!

So you've downloaded and installed Firefox 0.8 and when you try to start it you get one of these messages:

Error launching browser window:no XBL binding for browser

Error message showing 'No XBL binding for browser'

This is happening because you have an incompatible extension installed from a previous version of Firefox, Firebird or Phoenix - such as Tabbrowser Extensions.

How to Fix

On Windows:

1. Open My Computer.

2. Open Local Disk © (or wherever your profile data is stored).

3. Open Documents and Settings.

4. Open the folder whose name is your Windows user name.

5. Open the Tools menu and click Options...

6. Click the View tab and ensure Show hidden files and folders is selected in the Advanced settings: section. Click OK to close the panel.

7. A folder called Application Data should be visible. Open it.

8. Open the Phoenix folder

9. Open the Profiles folder

10. Open the folder called default. (If you are using another Firefox profile, open the folder matching the name of the Firefox profile you are using.)

11. Open the folder whose name contains a strange sequence of characters and a .slt extension.

12. Find the chrome folder

13. Rename the chrome folder to something else, like chrome-backup.

14. Close the Explorer window and try and launch Firefox again.

If after this you get the same error, uninstall Firefox completely, and remove the folder you installed it into (e.g. C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox) completely, then reinstall Firefox.

On MacOS X:

1. Open your Home folder.

2. Open the folder called Library

3. Open the folder called Phoenix

4. Open the folder called Profiles

5. Open the folder called default. (If you are using another Firefox profile, open the folder matching the name of the Firefox profile you are using.)

6. Open the folder whose name contains a strange sequence of characters ending in .slt.

7. Find the folder called chrome and rename it to something else, like chrome-backup.

8. Close the Finder window and start Firefox again.

On Unix:

1. Open a terminal, and cd to ~/.phoenix/

2. cd to the directory called default. (If you are using another Firefox profile, cd to the directory matching the name of the Firefox profile you are using.)

3. cd to the directory whose name contains a strange sequence of characters ending in .slt

4. Rename the directory chrome to something else by entering mv chrome chrome-backup

5. Close the terminal, and restart Firefox.

Notes

You should never install a new version of Firefox over an old version, make sure to uninstall the old version first and remove the folder it was installed in.

Please be sure to read the release notes carefully before you install a release or post to our support forums, they contain helpful and critical information.

This problem should disappear in a future version of Firefox (hopefully 0.9) when extension incompatibilities will be dealt with automatically.

Good Luck

M

This Link is the page that has the below text.

Firefox Won't Start!

So you've downloaded and installed Firefox 0.8 and when you try to start it you get one of these messages:

Error launching browser window:no XBL binding for browser

Error message showing 'No XBL binding for browser'

This is happening because you have an incompatible extension installed from a previous version of Firefox, Firebird or Phoenix - such as Tabbrowser Extensions.

How to Fix

On Windows:

1. Open My Computer.

2. Open Local Disk © (or wherever your profile data is stored).

3. Open Documents and Settings.

4. Open the folder whose name is your Windows user name.

5. Open the Tools menu and click Options...

6. Click the View tab and ensure Show hidden files and folders is selected in the Advanced settings: section. Click OK to close the panel.

7. A folder called Application Data should be visible. Open it.

8. Open the Phoenix folder

9. Open the Profiles folder

10. Open the folder called default. (If you are using another Firefox profile, open the folder matching the name of the Firefox profile you are using.)

11. Open the folder whose name contains a strange sequence of characters and a .slt extension.

12. Find the chrome folder

13. Rename the chrome folder to something else, like chrome-backup.

14. Close the Explorer window and try and launch Firefox again.

If after this you get the same error, uninstall Firefox completely, and remove the folder you installed it into (e.g. C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox) completely, then reinstall Firefox.

On MacOS X:

1. Open your Home folder.

2. Open the folder called Library

3. Open the folder called Phoenix

4. Open the folder called Profiles

5. Open the folder called default. (If you are using another Firefox profile, open the folder matching the name of the Firefox profile you are using.)

6. Open the folder whose name contains a strange sequence of characters ending in .slt.

7. Find the folder called chrome and rename it to something else, like chrome-backup.

8. Close the Finder window and start Firefox again.

On Unix:

1. Open a terminal, and cd to ~/.phoenix/

2. cd to the directory called default. (If you are using another Firefox profile, cd to the directory matching the name of the Firefox profile you are using.)

3. cd to the directory whose name contains a strange sequence of characters ending in .slt

4. Rename the directory chrome to something else by entering mv chrome chrome-backup

5. Close the terminal, and restart Firefox.

Notes

You should never install a new version of Firefox over an old version, make sure to uninstall the old version first and remove the folder it was installed in.

Please be sure to read the release notes carefully before you install a release or post to our support forums, they contain helpful and critical information.

This problem should disappear in a future version of Firefox (hopefully 0.9) when extension incompatibilities will be dealt with automatically.

Good Luck

M

Mikex, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. It worked like a charm re nameing the chroome to chroome-backup did it. I hit the panic button hear and almost thought I was going to have to reinstall windows all over again Lol. It wasn't funny at the time but now I am laughing. I owe you big time. ;)

Don't thank me it's all google.

I have a local start page for IE and Firefox, on this page I have Google search there, along with a most of my favorites.

I sometime get tunnel vision when working on something and forget to google.

M

Just want to say to anyone who has been thinking of downloading Firefox 1.0, don't be afraid of downloading it because of what just happened to me. Turns out I just made more of the situation and panicked instead of taking a deep breath and walk away from my computer for a few minutes. Bye all means if you were thinking of a great browser, Firefox is the one too get. :D

As a matter of fact I just downloaded it again for my Dell and I have no problems on either computer. ;)