I did soldering on micro components for Stryker corp. Tiny little things for the pin connectors. (like usb plugs) Flux was not used because it's a type of acid that could corrode. If it was used, (flux cored solder) we had to clean it up enough to pass a 100X microscope inspection.

Interesting

The places I worked where techs soldered, they treated it as an art form. I think I agree. If you use too much solder, you have a gobbed up mess that may short accross pins. If you stay on a lead to long you can ruin the board. Find some old stuff and practice on that. I work with teachers - some love to take off with their laptop still plugged in! :blink:

Hate to sound stupid, but what is Flux?

I am not exactly sure. In plumbing it is used to help the solder both flow and bind to the metal. I believe it is used in the same way for electronics.

flux is used for removing oxidation from the metal fittings. oxidation comes from exposure to the air..... it's dirty.