I have a system with an AMD k7 750mhz processor. It was running windows 98se with 128mb of ram. I had to test some used ram I purchased on ebay. I installed 2 additional 64mb sticks; now the computer has 256mb of installed ram. The ram showed up properly in the bios, i also was able to get to the desktop. I soon got a blue screen with this error, VXD VCACHE (importaant part). This usually means indicates bad ram. Since installing the ram casued this problem, i was certain it was one of the two new stick I installed.

For fun I thought I would try the program memtest86, I have never used it before. I was curious to see if it would be able to find the bad stick(I know at least one of them are bad). Its been running for about 4 hours and is only 26% complete. Does memtest86 alsways run so slow, is this typical?

To recap, memtest is testing three sticks, one 128mb and two 64mb.

I would test each stick separately. Did you try rotating the sticks one at a time then boot the computer? This would at least give you an idea if the stick is incompatible with the motherboard and/or bad.

As for the speed of memtest.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Execution Time

The time required for a complete pass of Memtest86 will vary greatly depending on CPU speed, memory speed and memory size. Memtest86 executes indefinitely. The pass counter increments each time that all of the selected tests have been run. Generally a single pass is sufficient to catch all but the most obscure errors. However, for complete confidence when intermittent errors are suspected testing for a longer period is advised.

I did not try those things. They would have been the easiest. I was curious to see how memtest worked. At the rate it is running it will not be done for about 12 more hours. i will take a look at that link you posted.

I understand that switching them would be easier. The point of the thread was the speed of memtest86. I guess I was thinking the test would take test less then an hour. I was surprised at the slowness of the whole process.

I understand that switching them would be easier. The point of the thread was the speed of memtest86. I guess I was thinking the test would take test less then an hour. I was surprised at the slowness of the whole process.

really it should be as fast as your ram.. (which could be realy slow in that old systems)

plus memtest86 never ends.. you need but one pass to see erorrs. unless you are paranoied then run it two or three to see if things change when they get hot

from memtest guide

The time required for a complete pass of Memtest86 will vary greatly depending on CPU speed, memory speed and memory size. Memtest86 executes indefinitely. The pass counter increments each time that all of the selected tests have been run. Generally a single pass is sufficient to catch all but the most obscure errors. However, for complete confidence when intermittent errors are suspected testing for a longer period is advised

I ran a memory test one time (bout 2 years ago heard about whatever I used on TSS) and it was a PC133 setup with then I think 384MB in it. It was an 800Mhz PIII. It took a couple of hours but 4 hours and only a quarter of the way done, that sounds too slow.

The speed will also depend on if you are running the full gamut of tests. For Athlon processors run tests 5 & 8. If you receive errors during those test then the memory isn't compatible with the Athlon which can be picky.