Hey Everybody...it's me again. Hope your Wednesday is groovin'.

I'm rather curious about Desktop Themes because I'd like to add one. The first thing I initially did was visit http://ubuntuguide.org/ and searched high and low to see what they had to offer but I didn't find anything. Then I gave it a shot and decided to visit http://themes.freshmeat.net/ but didn't really understand the lingo. I think the theme thingy is rather cool because it makes your desktop look really good as opposed to the normal everyday desktop. It's really not a big deal but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about adding a theme?

click on computer→desktop preferences. there you will find a theme manager. in there, all your themes are stored and changed.

you can add more themes by downloading them at e.g. www.gnome-look.org. there you will get the tar.gz files for the themes. simply drag and drop them into the theme selector window and they get automatically installed.

There are several themable components with seperate themes.

GTK+ is the toolkit used by GNOME applications. All the widgets that make up those applications will be in whatever you set as the GTK+ theme.

Metacity is the window manager (you can use others if you want though) and its themes control the border arround the windows.

Icon themes control the icons used to represent files as well as those used in dialog boxes, buttons and tool bars.

These three make up the majority of theming on GNOME and are the three components contrlloed by the theme control dialog iccaros mentioned. Your desktop background, mouse cursor, sounds, loading screen, and GDM greeter are handled seperately.

Besides http://gnome-look.org/ and http://themes.freshmeat.net/ there is also http://art.gnome.org/

click on computer→desktop preferences. there you will find a theme manager. in there, all your themes are stored and changed.

you can add more themes by downloading them at e.g. www.gnome-look.org. there you will get the tar.gz files for the themes. simply drag and drop them into the theme selector window and they get automatically installed.

Well if I click on System > Preferences > Theme I find the theme manager with no problem.. and I chose the theme "Glider" , it says to "Install Theme" , the Theme Installation window pops up and ask me for A Theme Install location or to browse where it is.. Where's the location? and how do I accomplish this?

Well if I click on System > Preferences > Theme I find the theme manager with no problem.. and I chose the theme "Glider" , it says to "Install Theme" , the Theme Installation window pops up and ask me for A Theme Install location or to browse where it is.. Where's the location? and how do I accomplish this?

if the theme is listed its installed... just select and hit ok..

you may have ot log out and back in depending on how your linux distro set it up, mine I wait 30 sec..

"Install Theme" is for adding themes to that list. So it is asking for a theme package that hasn't been installed yet, for instance one you might download from one of the sites we listed. Simply selecting something on the list should be enough to apply the theme, you don't need to press a button afterwards. Instant settings changes like that are a standard part of GNOME's Human Interface guidelines (HIG), there are some places it just doen't work but they try to do it where they can.