Stained Windows! Microsoft To Mark Illegal Copies

Same here. I think you have to install it if your want Windows Defender or IE7.

Microsoft has been validating your windows xp copy for while now as a prerequisite to using windows update. Even before this patch you needed a validated copy to get those programs(ex. beta ms antispyware, media player 10).

I chose not to install it, and also checked the box, do not ask about this update again.

You know they'll get it on there anyways - I loaded mine though since I have no worries

I hate installing updates that are not security patches or bug fixes for the OS. I even regret installing WMP10. It sucks.

I believe if you don't install it, it will be like the original WGA before. You won't be able to install anything you don't all ready have, (IE7 beta, Windows Defender). And you won't be able to install The full version of IE7, or windows media player 11.

Well, I have MS on Auto update (I know, I know....but I need auto update or it won't get done :) ) and that bugger is a sneaky thing!

Went to shut down the idiot box last night and the shut down button had the little shield on it and had "click here if you want to shut down without installing updates"

I cancelled it, looked in my Task Bar, no little yellow icon, no bubble naggie note, nothing to suggest there was even an update downloaded!

Being pooped, I chose to shut down without installing the update (midnight computer problems and me do not mix) Well, this afternoon when I turned the idiot box on, it installed the update--no asking, no saying "please", just did it. :angry2:

Luckily, everything's running fine (so far *knock wood*) BUT it made me mad that I wasn't able to even SEE what the update WAS. I'm assuming that update was the "antipirate one". Usually, I can click the yellow shield icon in the taskbar, click custom and see and choose each update.

I feel sorry for folks who don't run amuck in tech forums and have no idea about this update's arrival...like my Daughter. Sure hope hers went ok (no panicked phone call from a screaming banshee, so assuming all is ok!)

Liz

I installed it on my lappy, still running 2k on a dual boot desktop (SuSe is the other boot.) and slax on the other desktop

No problems with the update. Have to run windows as there is some work software I need that isn't available yet for any version of linux.

hmm, I hope this doesn't bug my upstairs computer. I used the same CD for both my systems (Software missing for upstairs computer) but used different keys for each install MS said it was okay when I called. I haven't seen anything on non-genuine copy yet. Maybe cause it was activated legitimately, I won't be bugged.

hmm, I hope this doesn't bug my upstairs computer. I used the same CD for both my systems (Software missing for upstairs computer) but used different keys for each install MS said it was okay when I called. I haven't seen anything on non-genuine copy yet. Maybe cause it was activated legitimately, I won't be bugged.

one key per install, you did not do anything outside of the oem licence. You have two rightfully legal installs.

Edited by shanenin