I need help looking for a laptop. I have a buget of around $900-$1200, and honestly I do not know that much about them. Im more of a desktop person. So i've come here for your helpful insight :D

I'm not a big fan of Toshiba Laptops - especially the satellite, I've worked with a lot of them that have had overheating problems caused by faulty hardware (I mean the motherboard, not just fans)

that may be, but I got a pretty decent one for $500. The sad thing was it only came with a 90 day warrenty. I tried to return it becascue of that but bestbuy wanted my to pay a 15% restcoking fee, so I kept it. The only other thing I dislike about it is the horrible battery life.

His price range is from $600-1200. You're not going to get Alienware for that. The Dell XPS M140 comes with Media Center which fits his requirement for watching movies and listening to music plus gaming. Plus it used a Pentium M which should give him decent battery life.