Got a list of reasons to suspect a story is an UL, but no list of UL's. <_<

Actually, there's one here on the boards: The smarty-pants job application. It's made up. I got one version of it recently that was attributed to an older person applying at Wal-Mart instead of the usual kid & McDonald's.

These things always make me wonder why people create them in the first place, and why people tend to tack on things like "pass this on or ... " whatever. Is it something in human nature? Something in the nature of people who spend a lot of time online? I don't get it. Why not just call it what it is, a funny joke or story? Why imply that "This is true!"? Anyone who's been around the block, uh-hem, knows it ain't.

hi JD

yes im a skeptic

when it comes to something

of the imagination

i had it explianed to me

the storys start out genuine

but as it goes from mouth to mouth

it gets caught up in half truths

and then myths over time

marty

To THIS day I remember the first time I played "telephone" as a kid (where you whisper something to the person next to you, they whisper it to the next person and so on, then the last person repeats what they heard). I was ASTOUNDED (if a six-year-old can even BE "astounded") that the words or phrases had been altered into something entirely different from the original. I could not believe it, I thought everyone was playing a joke on me or something.

And to this day I remain skeptical of something I "heard" or "read" that I did not witness myself.

Yet, my friends keep sending me this stuff. :rolleyes:

"Microsoft says this is true!" "This is from the communications director of a major corporation!" "McAfee said this is very dangerous!" "This happened so don't [fill-in-the-blank]!"

Yeah, right. :angry:

I get so annoyed at this JUNK. I can almost tell by the subject line, it is not true.

Of course the usual, send this to as many people as you can, confirms that it is more than likely not true.

My sister send me one a couple of days ago, with a note that the previous person checked "Urban Legends" and it was not there, so it must be true. I knew it wasn't as soon as I read the first line. I checked Urban Legends and found it in 10 seconds. I keep telling her to check this junk before you send it out.

Argh, sisters, you gotta love them. :blink::D

mMmMmM

i have a lady friend who sends me things

but im sure they are not urban legend

i class urban legend as

properganda

rumours can cause havoc

among the believers

the news media is famous for it

there are many falacys

open an umbrilla in doors is bad luck

dont pull a face in a strong wind

or your face will stay like that .

i belong to an ethnic race who believe

if you talk about some one behind there back it will bring

bad luck to both of you

and it goes on and on

marty

Edited by martymas

I'd classify an Urban Legend as just a story, like a story told 'round a campfire or a fairy tale. What makes it an urban legend rather than a simple work of fiction like a fairy tale is that some people believe it, or even just parts of it, and that it spreads (often changing in the process). Whether there is, or ever was, any truth to it is irrelevant, since the entire point is to get some kind of reaction (emotional; shock, surprise, anger, agreement, ANY reaction whatsoever will do).

I'm not sure where propaganda comes into play, why would anyone want anyone else to believe there are alligators in the NYC sewers? What purpose would that serve? (Especially: What political purpose?)

I don't think superstitions fall in the same category as there's usually no "tale" to tell, no backstory, no expectation of an emotional reaction to it. "Step on a crack, break your mother's back." Doesn't say why, no reasons are given, there's no reason to believe it, you're not even EXPECTED to believe it, though some do.

Personally, I "knock wood" (aka "touch wood") even though I don't REALLY believe there are wood nyphs inside waiting to cause mischief. :)

I'm not sure where propaganda comes into play, why would anyone want anyone else to believe there are alligators in the NYC sewers? What purpose would that serve? (Especially: What political purpose?)

Hazard pay for the NYC Bureau of Water and Sewer Operations employees? :)

Edited by jcl
I have a sister just like that, Barb! Only she sends me "virus alerts" that are hoaxes. Ahhh, they mean well, don't they?

Liz

I know they mean well. I just never give up trying to educate her about this stuff. I usually just delete it.

Maybe we could put yours and mine together and they can send each other all those emails. :lol::lol:

Barb

Typical one I got today re: a person with the screen name MonkeymanXXX (numbers vary) who's contacting people and killing them! Don't talk to this guy! He's already killed 56 women! Uh, and the only place we hear about this is through an e-mail forward? Fifty-six deaths doesn't make the news? Why, oh why, do I get these things ... ? I once e-mailed back that I don't want this type of stuff, but the friends who send them along have my address in some sort of macro or something so I guess they're too lazy to take my name outta there, or they're not capable of doing so. :huh:

hi JD is there no way you can ban it as spam

like in thunder bird

or message rules in OE

i ued to get a lot of that stuff

from a very good lady freind

but now i have to filter her mail

yes those people are a pain in the butt

but they seem to think they are being helpful

as some of the other posters have suggested

ive learned to swear silently

when i get this sort of mail

marty

There's no way to distinguish between the actual communications ("Hello, how's it going?"), the 'forwards' I've never seen and do enjoy (jokes, funny pictures, etc.), and the ones that I wish they knew better than to forward (warnings, "send to 15 people or <whatever>," etc.).

I finally gave up with one, the "get to know you" questionaires. I actually fill those out and return them to the sender (but not to "10 other people"). I don't know WHY I gave up, but now I'm listed as "The one most likely to reply!" :lol: