I recently reinstalled XP and updated it to SP2 and all the new updates, and for some strange reason it keeps freezing after 20 mins -1 hour its very annoying. I have tried to increase the commit charge memory, cause I only have 256 memory. Only using 2 or 3 apps when it happens. And if I try to fix it it gives me the blue screen and always a different message about whats wrong. ati.sys etc...

Please help, Before I was getting the blue screen while I was trying to format the HDD and had to get a spare one and now this is happening the freezing.

ati.sys is a problem with your video card. Check all of your connections and cards. Reseat all of them. With only 256MB of RAM use the Performance setting so you don't have all of XP's visual crap slowing it down. Run Error checking on the drive. Did you defrag after loaing all of the programs and updates?

freezing compt can be caused by many different things

hardware conflict,spyware,virus,

and corrupted software

have you tried to uninstall those video drivers

and reboot your sys

some third party drivers are not compatable with windows

so let windows find the drivers

they may find ones that suit.

you need plug and play enabled for windows to find them

tho i think plug and play is there by default

good luck

marty

This could be caused by bad RAM or wrong Bios settings for the RAM. Also try using the stock graphics drivers for that video card. If that smuda.sys is the correct spelling of the file you had better do a HJT log and post it at the Malware section. AdAware or SpyBot isn't going to help.

I have formated the comp about 3 times now, with the other HDD that came with the comp it was giving me the blue screen each time I wanted to format and install XP so I added the other HDD a spare 1 and works but freezes and blue screen still which is now. I got the comp off a friend who said he couldnt install XP on it, thats why I got the other HDD. What should I do??????

You should start narrowing down possible hardware problems. If you have onboard video, try and remove the card. It may be worth buying an extra memory stick, then you can see if the memory installed is the issue.

Is it 2x 128MB? If it is then take one stick out and see what happens. If you get the BSOD, then take the stick out and put it in the other slot. If you still get it, use the first stick and put it in the second slot. If you get it again, take the second stick and put it in the first slot. That should narrow down your memory problems.

I just have 1 256 stick and onboard video. The memory was not giving me trouble before just when I try to format it it gives me the blue screen. When using DBAN to format with 3 or more passes wit 1 pass its fine. But I still get the blue screen after XP is installed.

I've tried both CD Roms and both give me BSOD. The Ram seems fine it worked fine before when I first recieved it but then put in a vieo card and another memory stick and had trouble with both so removed them and now after formating 3 times still the same problem. ??

If I am understanding you properly. You have tried differnt ram and removed the video card, but are still getting the problem. Your motherboard may be bad. I was getting blue screens a while back, I ended up replacing the motherboard to fix the problem.

one more thought, it may be worth trying the ram in the other slot.

If I am understanding you properly. You have tried differnt ram and removed the video card, but are still getting the problem. Your motherboard may be bad. I was getting blue screens a while back, I ended up replacing the motherboard to fix the problem.

one more thought, it may be worth trying the ram in the other slot.

I think he tried the RAM in a different slot - or at least it was recommened earlier - like shanein said, it's probably the motheboard