Help With Linux Date And Time

Hi Guys and Gals!! :)

Hope everyone is doing well and all is going good for everyone....

My question is this... How do you change the date and time in Mandrake 10.0?

When I try to change the date and time I get a pop up asking for a "root password" I tried all the passwords I use and none work, I can't really remember what passwords I typed in when I set up Linux on the duel boot, I usually use one password for my O/S passwords and it didn't work so I'm thinking maybe I just can't remember the password or it already came password protected, wich is kind os stupid because how the hell are you supose to change the time??

Any help would be great....Thanks Team and everyone keep up the good work!!

LOL....Hello friend...

Thanks.....

Very glad to be back....

I'm in no hurry to get an answer, I just wanted to post my first question on B's boards and this has been driving me up the walls...hahahahahaha

Take Care..

Hi Tymekyller,

When you installed mandrake you would have been asked to create a root password. The root password is what will allow you to change your clock time and do a lot of other admin tasks.

Did you write down this password? If you find the password you're in luck, that'll allow you to change your clock time.

If you didn't write it down you're kind of hooped. I'll try and do a google search on how to change the root password for Mandrake.

jcl, uberpenguin do you guys know a command line log-on trick to do this? I've read about it, just can't remember the command.

thanks,

hitest

Hi Hitest....

Thanks for your help, I sort of figured it ask me to create a password when I installed, I guess I should have been solber...hahahhahaha

I will also look for a fix for this.....

I hope I don't have to format and reinstall it because then I think I would have to format xp and reload that as well because it is a duel boot :( .....hahahahaha that's tyme's luck for you.....lol

Thanks again for the help...

Hi Hitest....

Thanks for your help, I sort of figured it ask me to create a password when I installed, I guess I should have been solber...hahahhahaha

I will also look for a fix for this.....

I hope I don't have to format and reinstall it because then I think I would have to format xp and reload that as well because it is a duel boot :( .....hahahahaha that's tyme's luck for you.....lol

Thanks again for the help...

Hi man,

Yep, you can re-install that'll fix your issue, but then you'll lose all your stuff. If you do re-install just remember to jot down the root password.

I haven't had a chance to google your issue yet. I know there's a way to some how change your pass word. I'll go look now. :D

If the Mandrake CD has a shell you can drop into (never used it so I don't know), you can also just chroot to your root partition and then run passwd to reset it.

# chroot /dev/hda1
# passwd
# exit

Of course, replace /dev/hda1 with whatever the drive/partition is, e.g. /dev/hda3, /dev/hdb2, etc.

If the Mandrake CD has a shell you can drop into (never used it so I don't know), you can also just chroot to your root partition and then run passwd to reset it.

# chroot /dev/hda1
# passwd
# exit

Of course, replace /dev/hda1 with whatever the drive/partition is, e.g. /dev/hda3, /dev/hdb2, etc.

Hey Kyle,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not certain if Mandrake CD has a shell. I guess another possibility would be to use your idea with a knoppix CD. Then su to root and follow your steps.

That might work.

Awsome it worked, Knoppix was the hero in this battle!! hahahahahahahaha

Good thinking guys, damn there are some freakin smart people around here!!!

Thanks again....

You're welcome!

Thanks go to Kyle :D He's a super smart dude. He's a master level Linux/Unix guy from way back to the tech tv board days. Now we've got jcl, Kyle, and uberpenguin back here again.

Very cool.

Now we've got jcl, Kyle, and uberpenguin back here again.

Very cool.

I'll second that!!!!

I'm definitely glad I have somewhere to go to ask my lamebrain questions....also glad these guys aren't linux elitists that can dumb things down a little for a noob.

keep up the great work guys!

also worth mentioning, great tip on this thread...although I don't think I'd ever do something as silly as forgeting my root password (no offense TK ;) ), it's cool to know all is not lost

• 3 weeks later...
Now we've got jcl, Kyle, and uberpenguin back here again.

Very cool.

I'll second that!!!!

I'm definitely glad I have somewhere to go to ask my lamebrain questions....also glad these guys aren't linux elitists that can dumb things down a little for a noob.

keep up the great work guys!

also worth mentioning, great tip on this thread...although I don't think I'd ever do something as silly as forgeting my root password (no offense TK ;) ), it's cool to know all is not lost

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

All I have to say is don't install an o/s that needs root passwords and what not while you have been drinking...lol... Please do it on a solber brain....or you will end up like me...

"I'm definitely glad I have somewhere to go to ask my lamebrain questions."

I'll second that one...lol...