Hey,

I just read this at slashdot, it is sort of cool. Ajaxwrite is a web based word processor that is platform independent. That is, you connect to the application on the net with your browser, launch it, and a fully functional word processor launches. You can use Linux, Windows to run it. :D

You can type documents then save them to your hard drive in a variety of formats M$ Word, Open office, etc.

Ajaxwrite

Nice Find.

Thank you, Bubba Bob! :D I like the idea of web-centric apps, you can type a doc anywhere, save it to your HD, or archive it to the Internet and retrieve it later. Software should be freely available to everyone. :D

webbased apps are definately the direction the computer world is taking. Traditional software companys(like microsoft), must be worrying a little bit. They either will have to change their buisness model or eventually lose their buiness.

IT is a great little app. It even allows you to save in pdf format(not that I have a need to)

Edited by shanenin
webbased apps are definately the direction the computer world is taking. Traditional software companys(like microsoft), must be worrying a little bit. They either will have to change their buisness model or eventually lose their buiness.

IT is a great little app. It even allows you to save in pdf format(not that I have a need to)

I agree, shanenin, it is a great little app indeed. :D

Yes, M$ should worry. There are wonderful office suites out there that are free. I'm happy with Abi Word and Open Office. Ajaxwrite has been added to my list of cool toys that are actually functional, worthwhile.

Agreed, a cool app but I have to agree with Carnevil at this point too...If you're going to make a cross-platform web-centric app, it should be cross-browser too.

As it stands, I'd consider this bordering on a firefox extension...doubt MS would worry at all about that...Make it IE (et al) compatible and they might take notice.

Agreed, a cool app but I have to agree with Carnevil at this point too...If you're going to make a cross-platform web-centric app, it should be cross-browser too.

As it stands, I'd consider this bordering on a firefox extension...doubt MS would worry at all about that...Make it IE (et al) compatible and they might take notice.

Hmmmmm.......that's pretty stupid that Ajaxwrite doesn't support all browsers, t0c. Not exactly ready for prime time.

Yeah, Carnevil, I agree with you. If you can't access it with your browser of choice it doesn't make the cut. :(

Oh well, maybe after enough people get upset with the developers they'll expand support for all browsers. A cool idea though, but, this is alpha level software.

I don't think microsoft should worry about this app. I am taliking about 5- 10 years down the road. I thnk computing as a whole will be more webbased. Prpprietary software you install on your computer will be a thing of the past.

I just sent this e-mail to Ajaxwrite:

Gentlemen,

You have an excellent product here, what a wonderful idea! :-)

It works very well indeed with Fire Fox.

I have one suggestion though. If you want this product to really be ready for prime time I suggest that you make it compatible with other browsers such as Opera, and Konq.

Best wishes with your continued success!

Perhaps if enough interested users suggest this they will modify their product. We will see. :D

Grrr. AjaxWrite isn't intended to be be a multibrowser solution. It's a XUL application ferchristsake.

If it isn't intended to be a multibrowser solution why are they looking into using other browsers.

Grrr. ajaxWrite isn't intended to be a multibrowser solution. It's a XUL application ferchristsake.
AjaxWrite requires Firefox 1.5, or newer, browser. We are investigating extending ajaxWrite to other browsers such as Internet Explorer. Let us know your feedback on the forum.

Yes, it probably isn't multi-browser functional in its present form, but, they're perhaps going to work on that. :D

If it isn't intended to be a multibrowser solution why are they looking into using other browsers.

If it was intended to be a multibrowser solution they wouldn't need to "investigat[e] extending ajaxWrite to other browsers"; it would have been designed to be portable from the start. What they're mean is that they're considering porting it to IE. That would likely be an significant effort, not entirely unlike porting MS Word to Linux.

Edited by jcl
That would likely be an significant effort, not entirely unlike porting MS Word to Linux.

Yeah, which means it may not happen........too bad......it probably should have been designed to run other browsers in the first place as you said, jcl. It will be interesting to see if they attempt to make it compatible.......maybe they're just blowing smoke.

For what it's worth this would be a good time to get used to browser-specific webapps. Web 2.0 is ramping up to a platform war between XUL and XAML. If that happens it's going to be a mess, maybe worse than the browser war. It's quite possible that Presto (Opera's layout engine) and KHTML will be briefly marginalized while Mozilla and Microsoft do battle. If either XUL or XAML win -- and the only real alternative I'm aware of is WHAT-WG's (X)HTML5 -- it's possible that Presto and KHTML will be permanently marginalized in the rich-client space. (Which isn't to say that Opera, Konq, Safari, etc will be marginalized, just that they would need XUL or XAML compatibility. The Safari XAML extension has already been announced.)

Opera Watch: Are there any plans to support Mozilla's XUL API? If not, why?

Opera: No current plans to support XUL. Opera for desktop is built on top of our own cross-platform "Quick" GUI tool kit , where Mozilla/Firefox uses the

For what it's worth this would be a good time to get used to browser-specific webapps. Web 2.0 is ramping up to a platform war between XUL and XAML. If that happens it's going to be a mess, maybe worse than the browser war. It's quite possible that Presto (Opera's layout engine) and KHTML will be briefly marginalized while Mozilla and Microsoft do battle. If either XUL or XAML win -- and the only real alternative I'm aware of is WHAT-WG's (X)HTML5 -- it's possible that Presto and KHTML will be permanently marginalized in the rich-client space. (Which isn't to say that Opera, Konq, Safari, etc will be marginalized, just that they would need XUL or XAML compatibility. The Safari XAML extension has already been announced.)

You got any websites where I can keep track of all of this stuff?

Edited by Carnevil

I wish.

[Edit: Surprise, the same key-combo that opens my RSS aggregator submits posts here. [Expletive deleted]]

Edited by jcl

I wish.

[Edit: Surprise, the same key-combo that opens my RSS aggregator submits posts here. [Expletive deleted]]

I wish too, that way I would know what the hell was going on. So I wouldn't argue and make myself look like a dumbass. I'm surprised you haven't come across that key-combo thing before this.

I wish too, that way I would know what the hell was going on.

Spend eight hours a day reading news feeds, blogs, 'zines, roadmaps, technical reports, conference papers, and documentation. You still won't know what's going on, but you'll be able to fake it. Works for me.

So I wouldn't argue and make myself look like a dumbass.

Hey, it's the Internet. Everyone looks like a dumbass.

I'm surprised you haven't come across that key-combo thing before this.

I've never tried to open the aggregator while posting :) Suppose this would be a good excuse to play with Greasemonkey.

Edited by jcl
I wish too, that way I would know what the hell was going on. So I wouldn't argue and make myself look like a dumbass. I'm surprised you haven't come across that key-combo thing before this.

You are very far from being a dumbass, Carnevil :D

I'm very happy you choose to post here, man! :thumbsup:

I wish too, that way I would know what the hell was going on.

Spend eight hours a day reading news feeds, blogs, 'zines, roadmaps, technical reports, conference papers, and documentation. You still won't know what's going on, but you'll be able to fake it. Works for me.

So I wouldn't argue and make myself look like a dumbass.

Hey, it's the Internet. Everyone looks like a dumbass.

I'm surprised you haven't come across that key-combo thing before this.

I've never tried to open the aggregator while posting :) Suppose this would be a good excuse to play with Greasemonkey.

I can totally do that, which brings up the question of. Can I get some good source for the type of stuff from you?

You're right, thats kind of what the internet is for isn't it.

What aggregator do you use? I've tried a few and haven't found one I like yet.

Oh and Hitest, thanks for the kind words it's always nice to be appreciated. :)

Edited by Carnevil