Of course it had to be the number one key listed at Microsoft for pirated keys.

XP "Corporate" :D

DING, DING! The Colorado college was passing out a corporate version with the pirated key. All of the kiddies were then passing it around to their friends.

That's why if you're doing something illegal - you keep it on the D-Low. Of course, it's impossible not to tell everyone how you used pirtated software and saved about $100 some

Well, here's the latest in my quest.

I checked and there was an updated BIOS available, which I got.

The tech guy said that the old BIOS didn't allow SP2 to work right ..something to do with ACPI, whatever that is....

That installed fine. I also found that there were newer drivers for my video board so I went to nVidea's site and got those and installed those.

Now I'm ready to try it again and boy, if it doesn't go this time, then I QUIT!!

I'll update later............

jr

Well, here's where I'm at.

I FINALLY got SP2 to finish installing and restart without too much trouble,

When it did the restart after finishing the install, it tried to boot from the CD which was still in the drive. I should have pulled it out but I didn't think of it at the time. The computer kind of started to boot but stopped on the Windows XP black screen and just sat there so I finally hit the power switch to turn it off and then restarted it. I removed the CD and let it boot up.

The first thing I did next was get my AV running again. I use Avast.

I have had it running and it went to Windows Automatic Update ( set to notify but NOT automatically install ) and it said that there were updates to download and I let the comp download and install them.

This happened three times---different updates each time and now it seems like they must all be in there because the little shield doesn't come up in the task bar anymore.

I opened the control panel and double clicked on the Windows Firewall and saw that this is turned ON. (Is this a good thing? I've read that it might not be but I don't know)

I STILL can't get the security center to open. When I double click on it, I get the title bar for the window on the screen and then it goes black for about 10 seconds and then restarts the computer.

BTW--I also tried to access Windows Update thru the control panel and that, too, caused a black screen and restart.

I still have some problem in there but I'm darned if I know what it is.

Any ideas???

Thanks............jr

Edited by jimras
I opened the control panel and double clicked on the Windows Firewall and saw that this is turned ON. (Is this a good thing? I've read that it might not be but I don't know)

Thanks............jr

If you have a firewall installed, the one in Widows will be OFF. It is turned on automatically when you install SP2 if you don't have a firewall already. To install SP2, any firewall is supposed to be disabled according to MS. The PC that I am on had everything running when it downloaded automatically from MS. I have had NO problems at all. The other PC's that I have put SP2 on where when I did a clean install and it was the next thing put on then I went to MS and got all the updates. It took 3 times like you stated as some are to be done by them selves and there are also updates for updates.

OK......I have a router which is supposed to be a "hardware" firewall.

I DON'T have a software firewall running. I have do the online checks and

scans to check if I am vulnerable and have always gotten great reports so do I really need to have the Windows Firewall running too?

thanks..jr

If you use another firewall disable the XP firewall. SP2 automatically turns it on. If you have no other firewall you will have to configure the XP firewall to allow your connections.

As for Microsoft Windows Updates.

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:

Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.

Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.

Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

I have been searching for a solution for this exact problem and found it on the alienware help site enable Hyperthreading on your computer to cure the "Stop: 0x9C MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" error or ifa laptop without the option

try this

Restart the computer and tap the [F2] key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.

Once in the BIOS Setup Utility, use the arrow keys to select the Advanced menu followed by the Intel Developed Advanced Menu and press [Enter].

Select the Throttle Duty Rate option, press [Enter], change this option's value to 0.0% and press [Enter] again.

Select the Clock Chip Initialization option, press [Enter], change this option's value to Disabled and press [Enter] again.

Select the ACPI Table/Features Control Sub-Menu and press [Enter].

Select the C2 - Stop Grant option, press [Enter], change this option's value to Disabled and press [Enter] again.

Select the C3 - Stop Clock option, press [Enter], change this option's value to Disabled and press [Enter] again.

Press the [F10] function key to save the changes made and exit.

I was so happy to boot I thought you could try it also.

YD