Hi experts.

I have been frustrated because I can't get SP2 to install on my machine and I've tried many times

What I'm going to do next week is start with a clean, formatted HD ( I have an extra ) and see if I can get it

installed on there.

I intend to start with just the new HD in the machine and the XP CD in the drive.

My question is this.........I should I install the XP Pro first and that has SP1 already in it. Then, should I go to Windows Update and just let it take over? I do have SP2 on CD but I don't know if I need to do all the updates to SP1 first. Since I will be installing on a clean HD, there will be NOTHING else running in the background like AV programs or anit-spyware programs to get in the way of the install.

If I can get it to work finally, I'll just transfer over all my data from the other HD later.

What about installing the drivers for my video card and sound card? Do I do those before going to Windows UPdate or just use the genaric drivers that XP installs and wait till SP2 is installed and finished.

The problems I was having was at the end of the install of SP2, my computer would hang when doing the restart and then the Internet Security Panel would try to open up . Locked up tight. Could never ever get past this.

I guess it should work the way I intend to do it but just wondering about the order in which to do things.

System Specs....Athalon 2500+ Barton core 512 MG Memory MB is Gigabyte GA-7VT600 (-L) and the Video Board is a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

Any sage advice??? Thanks.........jr

Install your XP Pro with SP1 then install your motherboard, graphics, modem or Ethernet drivers. Once that is done install SP2. If you use the disk it will be faster. After SP2 is instlled get the rest of the updates then install your anti-virus program. Of course if were me I would slipstream SP2 to your XP Pro SP1 disk. Another note SP2 contains all of the SP1 updates.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

hi jim

from my own expereince with xp and sp2

i have a cd like you

and when i fresh install xp

my first task is install sp2 from the cd

this installs the firewall

then i trun my up dates to auto

and let it run its course

the difference is im using dial up

which is why i got the cd from microsoft

if you have broadband

look at the stickies

in software tips.at the top of the page

i think there is info on sp2 and updates

good luck

sp2 here

Edited by martymas

You can put on the drivers first (before SP2) Just don't install programs and such - that's where you run into issues with SP2 since it's practically a new operating system.

I'd say your best bet would be (probably not an option though) would be to install XP with and XP CD with SP2 already included.

nope, don't have a CD like that. Have to do it the hard way!

I'll keep a record of what I do in case I have problems and get

back on the BB here for more help if I need it.

I probably won't have the time to do all this till Wed next week on

my day off.

Thanks, everybody.........jr

nope, don't have a CD like that. Have to do it the hard way!

I'll keep a record of what I do in case I have problems and get

back on the BB here for more help if I need it.

I probably won't have the time to do all this till Wed next week on

my day off.

Thanks, everybody.........jr

This is what I would do it will take some preparation.

1. Download AutoStreamer

2. get a full copy of SP2 Get it here

3. Get your XP CD

Use AutoStreamer to Slipstream SP2 into XP this will create a ISO file (which can be made into a bootable CD) if you do not have Nero (which is easier than most to burn a bootable file) To burn the ISO to disk Download a copy of CD burner XP Pro (free CD burning program that with burn ISO file)

4. Burn the ISO file.

You now have a bootable cd Of XP with SP2 included already.

Use it to reinstall XP. Keep with your Original copy in a safe place.

Preston

Well, still no luck.

Here's what I did. I made an streamed CD to incorporate SP2 into

the install. I used Autostreamer and I downloaded SP2 this time rather

than use my SP2 CD.

The basic install went OK and did the restart and then asked me to sign in

as administrator. I did.

After about 5 seconds, I get a pop-up window that says Windows has

recovered from a serious error and should it send a report to MS. I said

no to the sending but I did click to see what the error was. This is what the error message said:

BCCodes 10000ea BCP1: 81CA88C0 BCP2: 81E16590 BCP3: F895DCB4 BCP4: 00000001 OSVer 5_1_2600 SP2_0 Product 256_1

Then when I went back to the desktop, I get this little balloon popping up from the taskbar telling me that I may be at risk because there is no anti-virus program running. I know this because there is NOTHING else on this hard drive. It says to "click on this balloon" to fix the problem.

When I click on the balloon, the Windows Security Center tries to open. I get the title bar and the outline of the window but nothing in the window. The computer hangs for about 5 seconds and then the computer restarts itself. Then it just loops---serious error message---pop up balloon---click that--hang & restart.

This is REALLY frustrating. Do I REALLY have to have SP2? I have ALL the other updates that are available installed and I DON'T use Outlook Express, I DON'T use IE, I DO use and run Anti Virus and spyware checking programs regularly.

Anybody got any ideas to try? It's easy enough to try as I just have to swap HD's and turn it on.

Thanks...............jim

System Specs....Athalon 2500+ Barton core 512 MG Memory MB is Gigabyte GA-7VT600 (-L) and the Video Board is a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

jr

You shouldn't have any problems with those specs. I'm running XP Home with SP2 on a XP 2400+, Epox 8KHA+, 512MB Kingston PC2700 and MSI MX4000. Have you tried doing a low level format on the drive then run FDISK and format with a Win98/ME bootdisk?

I use KillDisk to wipe the drive so no remnants of previous installs can cause problems then I FDISK and format with this WinME bootdisk from Radifed. http://radified.com/Files/bootmec.exe. Just format a floppy then install this to it (self-extracting).

Well, OK but I've done this 5 times now.

This time it was on a New Clean Freshly formatted HD.

NOTHING else on it.

Did it install correctly with the fresh hard drive? I have seen remnants on a used hard drive cause many issues with a new install. Every empty hard drive I have on hand has been wiped with KillDisk then FDISKed and formatted FAT32 with the WnME bootdisk. I have seen problemic drives turn into usable drives again using this procedure. In fact I am using an old IBM drive that a friend said was dying and causing him all kinds of grief. It is running my XP HE SP2 install just fine.

I'm not sure........when it finishes and does the restart, I get the error message that I posted above. If I just close the error reporting window,

then I get the balloon telling me about the missing antivirus.

When I click on THAT balloon, the security center tries to open and then

I start looping.

I would probably say, no--it didn't install correctly.

Are you installing using FAT32 or NTFS? If NTFS try FAT32. You can switch over to NTFS later after the install. Also try a full format instead of quick. Another problem may be the memory. Have you tried memtest86+ or Windows Memory Diagnostic to check it? What brand and type memory? With the Barton you should use PC2700 at least. Some boards can be finicky with certain brands.

The memory is 512 MG of Corsair DDR 2700 (w/heatsink)

I did do a full format using NTFS. I have not tried the memtest, however, everything seems to be working fine.

After I installed SP2 I disabled Security Center. I don't allow Auotmatic Updates and use Panda anti-virus with it's firewall. I see no need for Security Center popping up and telling things that do not concern me. I won't even download or use Microsoft's anti-malware programs. For the normal user who doesn't understand how to protect their PCs then Security Center is fine.

I agree with that.

I use Firefox for a browser, and Eudora Pro for Email and MailWasher Pro

to check Email before downloading.

I run AGV antivirus and regularly check with Spybot S&D and AdAware.

I also run spyware Blaster and keep my hosts file current, too.

I really can't understand why I can't get SP2 to work but unless there

is a realson in the future that I REALLY have to have it in there, I think

I will just say "to heck with it" and keep working with SP1 and all the other

updates.

I want to thank everybody that offered ideas. This is a GREAT forum with

a lot of very knowledgeable people.

Thanks again...............jr

The only time I have had SP2 fail to install was due to a bad key. The customer installed WinXP that he got from an online college in Colorado so he could do his courses. Of course it had to be the number one key listed at Microsoft for pirated keys. In fact I have that PC still sitting on my workbench. I've had it since last September waiting for him to pick it up. All i could do is remove the malware and install the critical updates. At least he doesn't plan on using it online anymore.

Of course it had to be the number one key listed at Microsoft for pirated keys.

XP "Corporate" :D

DING, DING! The Colorado college was passing out a corporate version with the pirated key. All of the kiddies were then passing it around to their friends.