Suggestions Needed For Start Page.

I have beed messing with HTML for the first time due to someone (Pat) wanting to know how to create a start page. I have no idea how this shows up outside my Opera and IE settings. I replaced my first crappy page created at Geocities usng Page Wizard many moons ago to see what it looked like on a hosted site. Of course there are the crappy Yahoo ads to the right when viewed in IE (I didn't try blocking with the hosts file). I know I need a different site to host this at. I use this as my Home Page.

Any suggestions? I can take it because I know this is crap. :lol:

My Tech Page

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

hiya TT,

some suggestions per request:

• change the color scheme, grey and brown are not a good combo, I would recommend either a comination of blue and light grey or, if you want to stick with brown combos, brown and dark orange. (if at all possible stay completely away from dark colors)
  • do away with the clock and weather links, for the following reasons, The clock isn't set up to use a javascript to read the visitors time and put that in place. For the type of page you have going on there, the weather just doesn't fit in. It has no variance on tech issues like you're promoting there.
  • put your image of the guy on the computer in the upper corner or as part of the banner instead of the down on the bottom. Keep it on the same side.

Other than those listed above, the only thing different I would do is use CSS instead of tables, that way you change only one item in one file and it changes the entire look.

I don't like the weather deal either. That's some Yahoo crap that I tested to see how it works. I am trying to find a decent clock for free that does as you suggest.

How's the changes so far?

This is my first time using HTML or any other web design coding. How do you do CSS? :D

changes are looking great :)

before I go into using css are you using a kind of html editor, like dreamweaver or frontpage, or are you using the web based editor?

If you want a decent clock I can create one in Flash that can look either digital or like an old fashioned analog face, le tme know I will be more then glad to build it.

I'm using notepad. I think I have the metapad executable someplace. I can't stand Geocities/Yahoo. I should probably look into a good editor but I have limited funds. Disability doesn't pay much. I am looking for another host site that doesn't place ads. A digital clock would be cool, thanks. Eventually I want to create some web pages for activities I am involved with, such as my NASCAR race club and family genealogy.

Would Nvu work?

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

ok, based on that a good place to learn CSS is here.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

I can make a digital clock in Flash no problems. this is resizeable using HTML code, so you can make it as large or small as you prefer, do you want a date function also?

A couple of decent free editors are HTMLKit or Selida HTML Editor

I previously checked out Weather.com. It is a nice interface but they want too much personal information. Of course I am used to using fake names and addresses when needed. Dragon already gave the link to w3schools. I have been reading through it and see it's a decent tutorial. I also downloaded HTMLKit. I have signed up for for a Google website and am on the waiting list. I am also looking at GoDaddy and 1&1 for a domain name and hosting. That crappy Geocities site I started using 5 years ago will do for testing. Thanks.

if you are seriously interested in possibly going with a paid host or domain name, check the web hosting section of my site. Link is in my signature.

here is the flash file I said I would make.

Edit:removed file. Dragon

if you are seriously interested in possibly going with a paid host or domain name, check the web hosting section of my site. Link is in my signature.

here is the flash file I said I would make.

All others, please contact me for permission prior to using this file. It is copyright protected and not under GPL licensing.

Far out! It looks great. I did check out gtg. I am seriously thinking of using them. I need to find out about paying. I don't have a credit card, just debit/checking account. Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

They accept paypal for payments

you can use my site to order services, from what I'm seeing your best bet would be the mini-geek plan. Plus I know the owner of gtghosting I was his first customer :)

Have you ruled out hosting yourself? I did it and found it to be quite easy. I plan on putting up a tutorial on my site on how I did everything. You could get away with completely free using no-ip.com or pay $6/year for an actual .com address like I did...it is up to you. You don't need a killer PC to host a site for a small margin of visitors, my "Server" is a P3 933MHZ with 512MB RAM and a 60GB HD.

Have you ruled out hosting yourself? I did it and found it to be quite easy. I plan on putting up a tutorial on my site on how I did everything. You could get away with completely free using no-ip.com or pay $6/year for an actual .com address like I did...it is up to you. You don't need a killer PC to host a site for a small margin of visitors, my "Server" is a P3 933MHZ with 512MB RAM and a 60GB HD.

I have been looking at that. I have the guts to my old PC laying around. 1GHz AMD T-Bird (slot A), Shuttle AI-61 and 512MB of RAM. I just need a new case, PSU and hard drive.