Good Morning, Blue Screen Of Death

Thanks, JSKY, but I have tried that, and it does not worked for me - When I chose R, I get the recovery console and Access is Denied, and I have already explained above what happens when I try to choose "To set up Windows XP now"

Thanks for your response.

I am about to the point of reformatting.

You delete your C partition and for all practical reasons, your stuff is gone.

I'd recommend a clean install at this point - by formatting your drive NTFS (quick if it's an option) then reloading Windows and all your programs. Wait up on it though, in case somebody else has an idea

xp operates better in ntfs

if you install it in fats

you will have to convert it to ntfs

after the install

it looks as tho your sys is corrupted

and may be a new install is better

xp is installed from the cd

and is much easier than the old systems

ive reinstalled xp a dozen times

when i first got the cd

six boot floppys came with it

so i had two options cd or floppy

cd is quicker and easier

but boot floppys act the same

except it takes a bit longer

good luck

i suggest for you to transfer all you privater data

to cds or floppys in the future

so you dont have this problem

marty

Edited by martymas

i need this to be clarified

i was getting a blue screen when i tried to install

by mistake i pressed fats at the install

and got in to problems.

when i posted here to this board

i was told to convert the drive to ntfs

which i did and i had no more troubles

im getting confused here

surely the message i got from the board

was the right one.

this is the second time ive seen a post with fat32

is compatable with xp

well it wasent in my case

can some one tell me why

marty

Edited by martymas

Marty,

I know that FAT32 works with XP personally (from a ME to XP upgrade, the file system was FAT32)

However, NTFS is recommended due to security and file compressions (as listed above) Maybe in your case it didn't work for some other reason - but I'm 100% positive XP works with FAT32 and NTFS

i need this to be clarified

i was getting a blue screen when i tried to install

by mistake i pressed fats at the install

and got in to problems.

when i posted here to this board

i was told to convert the drive to ntfs

which i did and i had no more troubles

im getting confused here

surely the message i got from the board

was the right one.

this is the second time ive seen a post with fat32

is compatable with xp

well it wasent in my case

can some one tell me why

marty

If your drive has already been converted to NTFS it cannot be converted back to fat32, that is why you had the problems.

NTFS is a permanent setting, the only way to remove that formatting is by replacing the Hard Drive with a completely new, unformatted one. It is normal for a drive that was pre-installed with Windows to already be formatted in NTFS.

NTFS is a permanent setting, the only way to remove that formatting is by replacing the Hard Drive with a completely new, unformatted one. It is normal for a drive that was pre-installed with Windows to already be formatted in NTFS.

or fdisk, format..

When Microsoft says convert it means to keep the data and make it different. but formatting NTFS does not effect anything on the drive that would make it have to be replaced to be changed. You will just loose all the information in the change.

The problem you may be thinking of is with XP's registry and the way it points to the disk.. you would need to use the disk utility's to unpartition the space then fdisk it.. then format it again..

for security..

fat32 is a simple file allocation table with a 32 bit name space..

ntfs (new technology file system) is a journalized file system, meaning it keeps track of writes and reads that may still be in the buffer and creates a map of how the drive partition should look. this way if you loose power or there is another type of crash fsck can reapply the journal and write the appropriate information to disk.

now windows 2000 has NTFS 4 and XP & 2003 use NTFS 5. along with the journal, there is granular permissions setting you can set.. this is very complex and easy to screw up.. this is why WINFS is suppose to go to a more simple mode of permissions more like a UNIX type system.. but we only see it in VISTA beta as they have already moved it for backwards computability..

fat (8,12,16,32) has no real way to set permissions on files or directory's.

the last great increase is speed.. why?? well since you have a journal, the system can just look at the data base and not search the drive for files.. Windows will ask you if you want to index the drive, all this does is copy the drive journal to the windows drive database.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system

a comparison of file system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Edited by iccaros

I am using FAT32 because I have a dual boot setup with98SE. This allows to to access either drive with the OS that is booted. The only issue I have had with XP was an update to Opera which I mistakenly installed to the wrong area. I really don't like this admin, all users and guest account crap. It would be alright if this was a shared computer and I was concerned about further security. I also look at it this way, if something happens with my XP setup I can boot to 98SE and retrieve my info on the XP drive.

I need to buy a couple of new HDDs and set them up with different partitions, one of which will be an image of the setup. My old 20GB drives are inadequate.

I am using FAT32 because I have a dual boot setup with98SE. This allows to to access either drive with the OS that is booted. The only issue I have had with XP was an update to Opera which I mistakenly installed to the wrong area. I really don't like this admin, all users and guest account crap. It would be alright if this was a shared computer and I was concerned about further security. I also look at it this way, if something happens with my XP setup I can boot to 98SE and retrieve my info on the XP drive.

I need to buy a couple of new HDDs and set them up with different partitions, one of which will be an image of the setup. My old 20GB drives are inadequate.

That's what I hate most about XP, the documents and settings/my documents/ shared documents/ susy's documents!

is this a work computer??

we mount all shared and home folders so they are reachable from Unix,Windows (any version) and Mac (unix). This way we only back up one point as the main OS can be restored in 30 min from an image. you can use a live cd to access the share drives and data until the main comes up. also with the VPN as long as you have internet access you have access to your work folders.

XP works well with either FAT32 or NTFS. NTFS is more secure.

I have no doubt that XP works with both FAT32 and NTFS as I've seen quite a few win98 to XP upgraded boxes, but the difference after converting a FAT32 to NTFS has been quite noticeable...so, XP working "well" on FAT32 might be a stretch IMHO.

This is my home computer. I guess you could also say I use for "work". I have worked on quite a few WinXP computers that are formatted FAT32 and they all run great. Many OEM PCs that come with XP Home are FAT32. The only major problems I needed to fix on them is malware issues. The people didn't renew their anti-virus programs. They thought the version that came with the computer worked forever.

I am amazed at how stable my setup is. I have had a crapload of programs opened at the same time for the last 6 hours and it didn't even moan. WIth only 512MB of memory on this PC my 98SE setup would have done a BSOD.

In fact where did the time go? I didn't realize making a home page with HTML could be so much fun. hahaha

We did a fresh install of our Win2000 about six months after we got this computer (due to it somehow refusing to accept our password one day) with the help of HP tech support who told my hubby to put it in Fat32 instead of NTFS. I tried to talk both of them out of it, even though as a complete computer newbie I had only heard it should be in NTFS from Leo on Call For Help, but didn't win the argument so still have it in Fat32. I do have the instructions to change it over to NTFS but haven't been brave enough to do it yet. And it seems to be ok as is. Maybe someday I will reinstall it all so it is fresh and clean and get it set up as NTFS? Or just go along until I have to do something else? Yep that last one's my favorite idea in case anyone is wondering will she or wont she! :rolleyes:

Pat

God bless everyone.