Bash Commands For Permissions

ok, I got a file I need to get rid of, it is currently set at Read only and because of it I can't delete it, even in Root, so my question is how do I change the permission so I can delete it?

Current setting are

drwxr-xr-r

everytime I try to remove it I get permission denied Read Only. It' s not a system file so I know I should be able to delete it.

ok, I got a file I need to get rid of, it is currently set at Read only and because of it I can't delete it, even in Root, so my question is how do I change the permission so I can delete it?

Current setting are

drwxr-xr-r

everytime I try to remove it I get permission denied Read Only. It' s not a system file so I know I should be able to delete it.

You could try logging on as root, then as root right click the file, choose properties, then click on permissions, change the permissions on the file so you can delete it.

Current setting are

drwxr-xr-r

You could try logging on as root, then as root right click the file, choose properties, then click on permissions, change the permissions on the file so you can delete it.

tried that it didn't work, but I got rid of it, luckily my son wanted to play his games on Windows, so when I rebooted I was able to delete it go figure

Current setting are

drwxr-xr-r

tried that it didn't work, but I got rid of it, luckily my son wanted to play his games on Windows, so when I rebooted I was able to delete it go figure

Good to hear you were able to get rid of it:-)

For future reference: deleting a file requires write permission for the directory containing the file. When you create or delete a file you're (logically) editing the directory.

Edited by jcl
For future reference: deleting a file requires write permission for the directory containing the file. When you create or delete a file you're (logically) editing the directory.

write permission was given to the directory, it was trying to lock it as part of the operating system, which has to be loaded at boot time. Now when I shut down DSL, I get an error that xxxxx files media is missing. go figure. I'm looking further into this.

write permission was given to the directory, it was trying to lock it as part of the operating system, which has to be loaded at boot time.

Curious. It sounds like the immutable attribute (see chattr(1)) was set on the file for some reason.