~ Today I installed the updated version of Sygate Personal Firewall.

I immediately experienced problems with it. It wouldn't respond to clicking on the

different settings, and when it did respond, it was slow or jerky, and it eventually

just froze.

I uninstalled then reinstalled it, from a different website...again, the same thing.

I went to Sygate's support forum and several people had already posted similar

problems with it. ( Note: I never experienced a problem with the prior version, and it

was uninstalled prior to downloading the new one.)

Sygate's support forum

I thought everyone should know that there is a chance that you may experience a problem, as well.

Edit: I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section...sorry :rolleyes:

(Mantra: Will not post when I'm over-tired!!)

Hmmm I've been using Sygate for a while now ,,upgraded to the latest ver (firewall) installed it over the top of older ver,,kept my settings ,,and have had no probs with it ! been using it for the last week or so.

Maybe I just have "the luck of the gods" with my comp

......, tried to find the old version with no luck. If anyone has the url for the older version please share it with us. ........

A tip/suggestion:

Whenever you download a program, save the installer. That way if you ever have a problem, such as this, it's just a matter of falling back to a previous version.

This is the way I do it:

In the My Documents folder, I have a folder named Installers.

In that folder, I have folders for each program; Firefox, Ad-aware, Spybot, Irfanview, etc....

In each of these folders, I have a folder for each version; Firebird v0.7, Firefox v0.8, Firefox v0.9, Firefox v0.9.2, etc...

In each of these folders, I put the installers, and a Notepad doc.

In the Notepad doc, I put all the important info about the installer, that I copy & paste from the website.

Then you can burn your Installers folder, when you burn your back-up disk.

That way, if you ever have a problem with a newer version of a program, or have to reinstall your OS, you have all of your programs on disk, and ready to install. No need to waste time re-downloading all of your programs (especially if you're on dial-up).

Just my $.02 worth.

tg1911,

I concur with your tip. My main folder is named DOWNLOADS and my sub-folders where I keep my installers are named BROWSERS, FIREWALLS, SECURITY,etc. I take screen shots of all the settings for each application I install so I can reconstruct everything if necessary.

Great tip.

......, tried to find the old version with no luck.  If anyone has the url for the older version please share it with us.  ........

A tip/suggestion:

Whenever you download a program, save the installer. That way if you ever have a problem, such as this, it's just a matter of falling back to a previous version.

This is the way I do it:

In the My Documents folder, I have a folder named Installers.

In that folder, I have folders for each program; Firefox, Ad-aware, Spybot, Irfanview, etc....

In each of these folders, I have a folder for each version; Firebird v0.7, Firefox v0.8, Firefox v0.9, Firefox v0.9.2, etc...

In each of these folders, I put the installers, and a Notepad doc.

In the Notepad doc, I put all the important info about the installer, that I copy & paste from the website.

Then you can burn your Installers folder, when you burn your back-up disk.

That way, if you ever have a problem with a newer version of a program, or have to reinstall your OS, you have all of your programs on disk, and ready to install. No need to waste time re-downloading all of your programs (especially if you're on dial-up).

Just my $.02 worth.

Hey, thanks tg, I like your system. I'm going to redo my My Documents file like yours. I still haven't found a link to the older sygate version though. :(