How To Reinstall Windows Xp

Hi Brandon!

Daughter also recently got a new Dell with no disks---I was told that you can call Dell and insist they send you the operating disks (I keep forgetting to have Daughter bring home her invoice from college so we can do that, too!)

*if you do call Dell, give me the scoop on your luck, Daughter HAS to bring her invoice home the end of April, school is done, then! :thumbsup: *

Liz

has dell got a recovery partition

like HP

look in the sys tools and see if the option for a recovery

partition is there

i dont know how to use it so you may have to google to

find the answer

just a thought

marty

Thank you everyone for your replys :)

shanenin,

I will try what you said after I can speak with Dell like blim suggested I try :thumbsup: thanks.

blim,

Hi blim..I will call them soon and also I will look on there site to see if I can find anything there first.

martymas,

I don't see anything like that, but I could be wrong.

Any more suggestions are still welcomed.

Hi,

I recently bought a new computer with windows xp sp2 on it from Dell. And it didn't come with a reinstall disk or anything to reinstall windows xp. Is there a way to manually do this or a way to get a reinstall disk?

Thanks in advance.

I recently did the same thing. bought a new dell but had no reinstall disc. Iwas told to call dell and ask for one. Thats what I did , and in a couple of days I got it

Actually I found a recovery partition. Just press ctrl+f11 at bootup and a screen with options come up to either restore or cancel (forgot the second option it might be cancel). I will try it once I get a disk to back my data on.

imabooger,

Do you know what number I should call for dell to request a disk?

Actually I found a recovery partition. Just press ctrl+f11 at bootup and a screen with options come up to either restore or cancel (forgot the second option it might be cancel). I will try it once I get a disk to back my data on.

imabooger,

Do you know what number I should call for dell to request a disk?

How new is your Dell? I've never seen one with a recovery partition (only on HP and Compaq)

hi all. the reason i suggested the recovery option

was . a friend tried to install reinstall

and the sys said please inset a sys disk

and press enter

this didnt work

so he sent it to an outlet

and it appears before you can reinstall.

the hidden partition with win

has to be completely wiped.

so dell have a cunning plan

to keep you using dell products

the outlet explained with dell and hp

you dont need a disk.

all you need is to use the recovery option.

as i said in a previous post i havent used it .

and i couldnt give info on how to use it.

before you try the option would it be better to try google

or go to the dell site

they are cunning buggers

by using the hidden partition

they have you over a barrel

i made my own compt so i dont have that problem

blim is right you can demand a recovery disk

not a full version

marty

Read your manual. There may be an option to create a recovery disk. I believe this is a one shot deal on some OEM computers.

Would you believe that Daughter's Dell didn't come with a manual? :angry2: (purchased January 2006) I ALWAYS read manuals, boy did that tick me off!

Liz

Read your manual. There may be an option to create a recovery disk. I believe this is a one shot deal on some OEM computers.

Would you believe that Daughter's Dell didn't come with a manual? :angry2: (purchased January 2006) I ALWAYS read manuals, boy did that tick me off!

Liz

Liz:

It does come with a manual, but it is on your computer. She should have had a shortcut on her desk top that takes you to it (PDF FORMAT) If she does not have it on desk top, go to:

C:/Dell/Docs/Manual.........

I just got a new one last week and that is where mine is. As for Windows XP, I made sure I checked to send me CD for add charge of $9.00. Well worth it. If you did not ask for it, you won't get it. You will have to burn your own copy, I think. Not sure. Read manual. All the manufactures are doing it this way from what I read. It is not just Dell.

Barb

Ahhh, thanks, Barb! The kids kicked me out of Kate's dormroom when they were setting up her computer (I get nervous and ask too many questions, and drive them crazy, so they tell me... :D ) I'll look for that when I visit her at school!

I'll still have to call Dell and plead for a disk, (and it will be well worth the $9) as she didn't order a CD burner with her new idiotbox, her remark to boyfriend was, "I don't need a CD burner, I've never burned a CD in my life, my brother does that for me" :D Gotta love little brothers.

Liz

if you know somebody with a generic windows xp oem disk you can use that. When it asks for the key use the one on your COA(attached to the computer).

The only problem with doing that is you need to download all the seperate drivers for everything as Dell automatically install them with Windows when they make the computer.

Check in My Computer. Is there 2 Hard Drives being show in there?

• 2 weeks later...

if you know somebody with a generic windows xp oem disk you can use that. When it asks for the key use the one on your COA(attached to the computer).

The only problem with doing that is you need to download all the seperate drivers for everything as Dell automatically install them with Windows when they make the computer.

Check in My Computer. Is there 2 Hard Drives being show in there?

The dells I have worked on, have their drivers on a seperate disk. You will still need to install them seperately. Maybe dell does things differently now(like a restore disk).

Some manufactures have restore disks that will restore a complete image as your computer left the factory, including drivers. As far as I know, dell does NOT do this.

Hi,

I recently bought a new computer with windows xp sp2 on it from Dell. And it didn't come with a reinstall disk or anything to reinstall windows xp. Is there a way to manually do this or a way to get a reinstall disk?

Thanks in advance.

I know that I'm alittle late, but haven't on her in awhile. but when I did't get a disk, all I did was call dell at 1-800-624-9896 and ask for a mri cd kit and documentation, and in about 2 or 3 days it came in the mail . Hope this helps some. But I did talk to some guy in India, and could barely understand him.