can some one explain

i have lots of Q concerning the animal

any ideas

marty

coyotes

arnt coyotes native to usa

Yup.

and i believe they should be protected

No need. There are bazillions of coyotes in the US. Indeed they've become a serious threat to other (sub)urban wildlife. They're even threating the newly-restored wolves in parts of the country.

i wonered why it made world headlines

can some one explain

No one truly knows why some stories become international news. In this case it was probably because it happened in New York City. Media organizations tend to treat local story as national or international news and there are a lot of media orgs our there. If I had a nickle for every utterly unimportant NYC or Atlanta story that CNN has run over the years....

As for why it was news to begin with, urban wildlife stories are popular in the US at the moment.

Edited by jcl

hi jcl i figured that

it is the same in my country

animals for some reason make people read the headlines

and this one in particular

poor bugger i bet it was terrified of the traffic

and worst of all PEOPLE

who are worse than animals,

yes i agree news media manipulate the public

marty

poor bugger i bet it was terrified of the traffic

and worst of all PEOPLE

who are worse than animals,

I dunno. Coyotes are pretty comfortable in human civilization. They arguably get along better in urban and suburban environments than in the wilderness.

We had several families, maybe a dozen individuals, living happily in the city within about a mile of our old house. When I took my nightly walks I'd frequently run into pairs or groups (parents and pups) out hunting. None of them seemed particularly concerned about my presence. They'd back off to a safe distance and wait for me leave and then go about their business. Never heard any complaints about them. Not sure most people even knew they were there. (I always wondered if the local school board knew that the woods behind the schools were full of coyotes and bears. They'd hunt cats, rabbits, and mice in the playfields and parking lots at night.)

Sigh. I wish there more coyotes around here. I miss having them around and they would help keep the opossum and stray cat populations in check and encourage people to keep their dogs indoors. There are some nearby but they don't range this far into the city.

Edited by jcl

thanks JC

are they native to america or have

they been introduced as pets and gone wild

like the dingo in australia

who have become very clever and cunning

seeing the species have come from domestic

ancesters

and gone wild .

in 200 yrs the dingo has become one of the most

cunningest animals in ozzy.

and from what ive read to night

the coyote has the same background

in ozz the dingo has kept the possum population down

we need them here in new zealand

as we have some of the rarest fauna in the world

and these buggers are eating it all away

one plant the kohatu they have nearly made extinct

and the only place to find them now is the nursuries

or the horticulturial gardens

these dam pests need to be culled

so coyotes or dingos would be a help

sorry i got a bit carried away

i tend to do that when on a favourite subject

marty

Howdy Marty, here in the wild west (Wyoming) coyotes are very plentyful. They are killers of sheep, i know some ranchers have lost almost a 3rd of their herd. Especialy the young sheep which can be devastating to a rancher & his family. I think there is a bounty on them here, i know there used to be, & the trappers set traps for them, their hides are selling for about $150 bucks. Some ranchers hire pilots to fly their small engine plane with a hunter to eliminate them.

There has even been reports of them attcking young children.

Now we are haveing trouble with the wolves that were planted by the goverment. They are on the endangered species act, but have reached their max numbers that were wanted by the goverment. Wyoming,Montana, Idaho, and a few other states want them taken off the list & a hunting season put on them, they have come into the cities & are killing cows, sheep & attacking people.

I have no problem with shooting them or leaveing them alone, doesn't matter to me, but if they were destroying my lively hood, or attacking one of my grand kids or a neighbor i would shoot to kill.

STAY SAFE

are they native to america or have

they been introduced as pets and gone wild

like the dingo in australia

They're native. But the situation is similar to the dingo in that the coyotes are a species thriving in a non-native environment. The difference is that we introduced the environment instead of the animals.

when I lived in north texas there was a bounty on coyotes...here in oklahoma there are about 8 elk that venture into town...I have seen then about 30 yards from our house...deer is also abundant here...everyone I know (except me) has hit a deer at least once.

Hey Bear, not unusual to wake up with a big bull elk sleeping in your yard. What a beautiful beast.

But i hate takeing the garbage out & finding a grizzley digging in trash can. My wife seems to think thats my job all the time, can't understand women.... lol.

I have a sound system hooked up to speakers out near the alley, when theres a griz out there i put on Betoven's lovers concerto #2 scares the hell out of them.. I hated it at first but after you play it a lot kinda grows on you.

I lived in ST. LOUIS, MO. for 15 yrs but wouldn't trade Wyoming for nothing. Been here for 31yrs & still can't find Broke back mountain...... LMAO !!!!!

Stay Safe

As others have stated, coyotes are native to most areas of the country. Not only has civilization encroached on their habitat, we've also reduced or eliminated their natural enemies and we've reduced or eliminated hunting. Oh well, if you don't want wolves or other predators in the area and you don't want to allow hunting, this is what you get.

It's news because they happened to have it on tape. You might read about a loose coyote on page three of a newspaper, but if there's video, it's NEWS! LET'S REPEAT THE SAME TAPE ALL DAY LONG! :lol:

hi flash.

thanks all for your

input

arnt domestic dogs and cats foragers

and will eat rubish

when hungry

i put them in the same catergory

as the dingo and the coyote

so if you shot and killed one of them all hell will break loose

human beings are not consistant.

i watch an american program

on animal planet