Now that I have installed WinXP what are some of the must have programs. Also where do I find decent icons that are not asscociated with malware/spyware.

I tried to install Paint.NET but it kept freezing during install. I only have 512MB of RAM. I did install and update .NET 2.0. I may try GIMP. I have Ultimate Paint on the 98SE drive but it isn't much better than MS Paint. I will download Terregan to mess with. I use IrfanView for an image editor and love it but I woud like something with a bit more options that's free for now. I can't afford Photoshop.

I don't listen to music on the PC. I am not into videos. WMP 10 is fine for me. I use NTI Platinum for burning.

I have plenty of anti-malware programs, but now I want to have fun because of what XP offers. It is already tweaked.

I am going to have to get more memory and a larger hard drive plus a better video card. Once that's done Win98SE says goodbye.

My specs;

WinXP Home / Win98SE, 2 20GB HDDS ATA100, AMD XP 2400+, Epox 8KHA+, 2x256MB Kingston PC2700 and MSI MX4000 T-128.

hi TT me again

have you disabled the hole that lets

blaster and sasser weorms comes through.

in case you havent

go to

run -type dcomcnfg press enter.

when opened

double click - component services

double click compt

right click my compt

properties

default properties

uncheck .distributed com on this compt

apply ,ok.

marty

I fully updated XP and disabled the risky services when I first installed it. I downloaded, installed Bootvis and have let it do it's thing a few times as I add more programs. I used Startup Control Panel to disable crap that doesn't need to run. The heaviest load on memory is my anti-virus. On bootup I am using around 220MB. The only thing by my clock is my anti-virus. I plan on buying more memory and a newer larger hard drive soon.

photoshop alternative: PSP7 this is a free fully legit version here is the link.

Paint Shop Pro 7.0 Free w/Animation is available -

http://com-puterworks.com/Free_Downloads.htm

If you want some other fun programs to use see this thread, its where I got the psp7 link.

http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4928

photoshop alternative: PSP7 this is a free fully legit version here is the link.

Paint Shop Pro 7.0 Free w/Animation is available -

http://com-puterworks.com/Free_Downloads.htm

If you want some other fun programs to use see this thread, its where I got the psp7 link.

http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4928

I went through that list yesterday. I thought about PSP7 but because reviews were better for Paint.NET I tried to install that instead. CPU usage jumped to 100% and the install froze. I tried to install it in Safe Mode Administrator account and it opened right up but warned that it can't install in Safe Mode. I think I need more memory for that. I'll try the PSP7 instead. Basically I need something that crops better than Paint and lets me create banners and other such graphics.

I downloaded PSP7, Avery Design Pro and Google Earth. Next is Terregan.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

I haven't tried Picasa yet as I haven't bought a digital camera yet, but just saw a mention in one of the PC World magazines I have been catching up on that this is so good, it would be worth buying (I will try to find the article tomorrow and come back with it if I do). Google owns it now and it is a free photo editor/organizer.

Picasa

Pat

God bless everyone.

Terrorist - take a look at FastStone Image Viewer - been following it and using it since the early days and

it's great and very popular - http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm.

on 512 Ram, I updated to SP2 and my system is very slow - double boot time - and ram is running at 50% despite having all unnecessary services & startups disabled - can't upgrade the hardware right now so I'm thinking of removing SP2.

Here are some goodies :D :

ExtractNow!

(love it - just drag a zip onto the shortcut and it outputs to a file (set your options)on my desktop)

post-242-1142914563.jpg

Cubic Explorer

(some say the best)

iColorFolder

post-242-1142914917_thumb.jpg

CleanCache

(because it "Wipes" the files off your drive - 3 choices including DOD and Gutmann

(CCleaner as a backup check only) :D

post-242-1142915216_thumb.jpg

Power Defragmenter GUI & Sysinternals Contig

(because XP defrag well, leaves much to be desired) (drop both into a file & put a shortcut where you wish)

post-242-1142915757_thumb.jpg