Temporary Folder Broken? [Resolved]

Here's something odd. While searching for what's eating up my step-dad's harddrive, I came across his temporary internet files folder. Under properties, it is listed as a little over 6 Gigs. The weird thing is, he's never been connected to the internet. There were two files in there, and I deleted them. But the folder remains over 6 gigs, even though it is empty. All hidden files/folders are showing. Ive gone through all the methods I can think of to clear Temp. Internet files, and nothing changes anything. Why is this folder reporting such large contents even though it is empty, and how can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Matt

There are more then one way to get a virus on your computer..... you can get them from CD's and Floppys etc.

True, but I really doubt that has happened. He guards the thing like its his life. If nothing else works, I will check however.

it's not adviseable to remove IE from WinXP, it is connected to your main shell. if that gets screwed up then you have to eitehr do a IE repair or reinstall the system.

it is very likely a hidden partition

and he would have to wipe the drive

is the compt a dell or an hp

they have hidden partitions

the hidden partition holds their branding

im not sure of the size of them

but does the compt show the dell or

the hp logo at boot up if it does there is your answer

the only other way is to get another hdd

or wipe the drive

marty.

It is a Dell, but marty, this huge size points directly at this folder. It cant be an unknown partition because it would not say an empty folder is over 6 gigabytes, it would just show the harddrive as not adding up correctly. There's something wrong with this folder...

Id doubt it, but might wait till Dragon gets back and see what he says.

One option would be to create another XP User account, transfer any files he would want to keep, and delete the current account.

^^ I'd try that.

Edited by Bubba Bob
yo matt

have you tried to delete it in safe mode

marty

No I havent, but I will do, thanks marty.

You dont think it is actually a vital folder, and criple my system if i lose it do you?

it is a vital folder, that is the gateway to where your browser cache and cookies are stored using contentIE5 folder.

My issue about this though, That shouldn't have an info in it since he doesn't connect to the net with it. the ContenIE5 folder doesn't store anything unless you go on the internet. The only thing on that thread, that could possibly coincide with this issue, is the Index.Dat file being messed up.

yo matt

have you tried to delete it in safe mode

marty

No I havent, but I will do, thanks marty.

You dont think it is actually a vital folder, and criple my system if i lose it do you?

it is a vital folder, that is the gateway to where your browser cache and cookies are stored using contentIE5 folder.

My issue about this though, That shouldn't have an info in it since he doesn't connect to the net with it. the ContenIE5 folder doesn't store anything unless you go on the internet. The only thing on that thread, that could possibly coincide with this issue, is the Index.Dat file being messed up.

Not only the index.dat but the size of the folder can be reduced. I use CCleaner to clean the index.dat files. Another thing to clear is the Temporary Internet File subfolders within Content.IE5.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Is it possible Windows allocates whatever amount of space you choose rather than dynamically allocating the space? That is, you allocate how much space you wish to use for Temporary Internet files (Control Panel, Internet Options, General tab, Temporary Internet Files section, Settings button, Amount Of Disk Space To Use slider) and Windows might actually set aside that much space as unusable for anything else?

In other, other words, follow that path and set the Amount of disk space to use much smaller.

Trouble with words today: If you set the amount smaller, even to zero, it should automatically delete whatever's in there to comply with your setting.

Trouble with reading everyone's posts before I post: Yeah, use a utility to delete the contents of the DAT file, then set the size to zero.

Edited by JDoors

"1. In either My Computer or Windows Explorer, create a new folder.

2. In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu.

3. On the General tab, click Settings under Temporary Internet Files.

4. In the Settings dialog box, click Move Folder under Temporary Internet Files folder.

5. Click the folder that you created in step 1, and then click OK.

6. If you are prompted to log off, click Yes, and then log on to Windows again. If you are not prompted to log off, click OK to close all of the dialog boxes.

7. In either My Computer or Windows Explorer, delete the old Temporary Internet Files folder, and then create a new folder in the same location with the same name.

8. Repeat steps two through six again, but in step five, click to select the new folder that you created in step seven."

Darn it! My instinct was to change folders but I couldn't figure out how to do it (I tried TweakUI but it only allows you to change other folders). NOW I remember that option in Internet Options. I gave up too soon. :)