Fans Off A Powersupply

Ok this is what I want to do.

I got some old fans from my school and an old power supply the fans only have 2 wires on them a red on and a black one. I am not sure if the fans even work right now they are 12 volt fans, how can I connected them to a battery or something to see if they work?

Then if they do work I want to connect them to the old power supply and run them off that. On the power supply I have a P4 plug that has red, yellow and 2 black wires (see Pic). I then want to cut off one of the black wires and the yellow one too and use the black and red one on the fan. I would have to cap the yellow and one of black wires right or could I run the other fan off those two.

I know about soldering and such

Here is a pic of what it am trying to do: the pink writing say that “this is where it will go†The fans will go there if they can. The green says that I will have to remove that white thing on the end.

What will I all need to do this:

Soder

Solder pencil

Wire cutter, strippers

Sador chisel

Sador sucker

Plastic wire ends I don’t know what they are called but you twist the 2 wires together and then cap it off with that, That is if I cant use the other 2 wires (yellow and black ) for the other fan

it sounds a little weird, but the yellow and black cables are what you really want. The red and black are 5v and ground, the yellow is 12v.

You should take a look at the wiki on creating a bench power supply elsewhere in this forum. A computer power supply needs to see a load to work, so just plugging it in isnt going to get you voltage unless it is plugged into a motherboard.

BTW, be very careful working on power supplies, the capacitors hold voltage for years.

BH

All right I dont think I am that good enought with electricty to build by own poswer supply with out a tutorial telling me exactley what to do. Do you have a site like that?

I alos have decided to scrap this project and just buy some fans with the power supply cord allready atached to them...

You got any website that you can think of me reading beore hand on electrict or mods or elctronics

I aslo have done some reserchg on building a computer,, do you have any websites that are with curent hard wear tutorials, or any tutorials at all?

There is a thread in the forum with the link to the power supply project. :ATX to benchtop

As for hardware tutorials, there are lots. Here is a google search to get you started:

Tutorials

And also feel free to search the forums and post questions, this is a very good place for advice, IMO.

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday