well it seems the problem is fixed what ever it might have been, I now am on Ubuntu.

just in case here is the lsmod from it.

Module				  Size  Used by
ipv6 217408 6
rfcomm 34972 0
l2cap 22404 5 rfcomm
bluetooth 43012 4 rfcomm,l2cap
cpufreq_userspace 4444 0
cpufreq_stats 5124 0
freq_table 4484 1 cpufreq_stats
cpufreq_powersave 1920 0
cpufreq_ondemand 5916 0
cpufreq_conservative 6820 0
video 16004 0
tc1100_wmi 6916 0
sony_acpi 5516 0
pcc_acpi 11392 0
hotkey 9508 0
dev_acpi 11396 0
i2c_acpi_ec 5760 0
button 6672 0
battery 9604 0
container 4608 0
ac 4996 0
joydev 9280 0
analog 10528 0
floppy 52692 0
pcspkr 3652 0
rtc 11832 0
usblp 11776 0
snd_seq_dummy 3844 0
snd_seq_oss 29440 0
snd_seq_midi 8608 0
snd_seq_midi_event 6656 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 44688 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_via82xx 25792 1
gameport 14472 2 analog,snd_via82xx
snd_ac97_codec 72188 1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm_oss 46368 0
snd_mixer_oss 16128 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 78344 3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 21764 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 10120 2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart 6784 1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi 22816 2 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device 8204 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd 48644 13 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm
,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore 9184 1 snd
i2c_viapro 7696 0
i2c_core 19728 2 i2c_acpi_ec,i2c_viapro
shpchp 80612 0
pci_hotplug 24628 1 shpchp
via_agp 9472 1
agpgart 32328 1 via_agp
dm_mod 50364 1
tsdev 7616 0
evdev 9088 0
psmouse 26116 0
mousedev 10912 1
parport_pc 31812 1
lp 11460 0
parport 32072 2 parport_pc,lp
md 40656 0
ext3 115976 1
jbd 48536 1 ext3
thermal 13192 0
processor 23100 1 thermal
fan 4740 0
usbhid 30688 0
via_rhine 20356 0
mii 5248 1 via_rhine
ehci_hcd 29448 0
uhci_hcd 28048 0
usbcore 104188 5 usblp,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
ide_cd 36996 0
cdrom 33952 1 ide_cd
ide_disk 16128 4
ide_generic 1664 0
via82cxxx 12188 1
ide_core 125268 4 ide_cd,ide_disk,ide_generic,via82cxxx
sata_via 8836 0
libata 47876 1 sata_via
scsi_mod 124872 1 libata
unix 24624 632
vesafb 8088 0
capability 5000 0
commoncap 6784 1 capability
vga16fb 12232 1
vgastate 8320 1 vga16fb
softcursor 2432 2 vesafb,vga16fb
cfbimgblt 2944 2 vesafb,vga16fb
cfbfillrect 3840 2 vesafb,vga16fb
cfbcopyarea 4480 2 vesafb,vga16fb
fbcon 34176 72
tileblit 2560 1 fbcon
font 8448 1 fbcon
bitblit 5248 1 fbcon

it was obviously something on their end that was stopping me from getting online. since now I am online after switching to dhcp on Ubuntu. I will have to call them to find out. Who knows maybe DSL fixed it. I'll update you after I have talked to them, can't call for another 20-30 minutes.

Now if I could just get my optical mouse working in Gnome :(

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the mouse ..

can you ls /dev/input

cd /dev/input

ls

have the new mouse pluged in..

can look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf and search for mouse.. se what device it is pointing at..

note you can search in vi by being in edit mode (it esc key) and using the /

like I said before it's all greek to me, maybe this will make sense to ya.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

I will try the other option after I get through updating the OS.

I'm currently using my ball mouse instead of the optical, would that be better done in terminal mode?

Edited by Dragon

well I tried the ls /dev/input as you posted. didnt' work. I still have no mouse usage. for some reason it just doesn't like my optical mouse. It worked fine in DSL. and my optical mouse used to work when I had the previous version (hoary) installed. but now it doesn't, I'll wander around the ubuntu forums and see if I can find any answers. I know it is getting flooded with this issue. However, so far everyone I have seen complaining about it uses a USB mouse instead of a PS2 mouse. go figure.

Also I called the phone company about the previous problem. appearantly the way it sounds DSL kicked the dhcp server into action so it allowed Ubuntu to hook up. not sure what exactly was the problem but they didn't do anything.

well Hitest that would work except I don't have any internet connectivity, which is why I started this thread. therefore I can not get it from synaptic. Unlike Mandriva, ubuntu doesn't give you everything on disk. it only installs base items and then you download the rest from their repos.

Right.......sorry.......................hitest turns red and bursts into flames. :blush:

Sheesh, I did read that you had connectivity problems as well......dang. (bangs head into keyboard)

Yes, I did know that Ubuntu only does a base install, I've run it before.........good luck with this , Dragon. :D

It's too bad that you couldn't use another box to download the utilty that you need, if that's even possible.

well I tried the ls /dev/input as you posted. didnt' work. I still have no mouse usage. for some reason it just doesn't like my optical mouse. It worked fine in DSL. and my optical mouse used to work when I had the previous version (hoary) installed. but now it doesn't, I'll wander around the ubuntu forums and see if I can find any answers. I know it is getting flooded with this issue. However, so far everyone I have seen complaining about it uses a USB mouse instead of a PS2 mouse. go figure.

Also I called the phone company about the previous problem. appearantly the way it sounds DSL kicked the dhcp server into action so it allowed Ubuntu to hook up. not sure what exactly was the problem but they didn't do anything.

I'll try to translate greek :)

all devices are stored under /dev

mice are under /dev/input

what I was tring ot say, not to well, is look under /dev/input

and try commenting out Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"

# is for comment

hope this helps..

cd /dev/input
ls

and check theat you have a /dev/input/mice like it says in your xorg file

ok, I understand that a little better thanks :)

I will try it with commenting out Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"

I know when I did the ls /dev/input it did show /dev/input/mice.

now for grins and giggles i decided to do a little exploring. so using nautilus I looked in /dev/input and found the following Mice and mouse0.

dunno if that helps any or not.

as I was searching around the ubuntu forums, what I have gathered this is a issue that is possibly a bug with the 2.6 Kernel. I have a feeling that it's not Kernel related tho. just one of those gut instincts :)

Ok, well I rehooked my optical mouse up after commenting out the option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

didn't do anything. when I move my mouse the optic light goes out. now I can plug my ball mouse in and it still works. Any other ideas that might help???

ok I did a dmesg and was surprise with what I found in it.

[4294715.168000] input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1

before I ran the dmesg, I replaced my optical mouse with the ball mouse, and here is the line from when that was done.

[4295107.425000] input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1
Ok, well I rehooked my optical mouse up after commenting out the option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

didn't do anything. when I move my mouse the optic light goes out. now I can plug my ball mouse in and it still works. Any other ideas that might help???

Does the mouse work properly on another system? The optical beam going out is puzzling, could be faulty hardware. I would try all the different devices under /dev/input as well as /dev/mouse and /dev/psaux if they exist, I would also try Option "Protocol" "auto"

Try running

$ cat /dev/input/mice

and wiggling the mouse. Control-C to kill it. If you get a screenful of garbage at least you'll know it's working.

Edit: That command might require a sudo.

Edit: Garbage and beeping :)

Edited by jcl

try this..

replace /dev/input/mice in xorg.conf with /dev/input/mouse0

*note this may not do anything if mice is a softlink (think shortcut but at the file system level) to mouse0

** do jcl's sugestion also..

out put should look something like this

cat /dev/input/mice
▒ÿ▒ÿ▒ÿ▒ü▒÷▒÷▒õ▒ó▒ò▒ó▒ð▒ó▒ò▒ó▒õ▒÷▒ù▒ü▒ý▒þ
(
ÿ(ÿ8üÿ▒ô▒ñ▒ê▒ë▒í▒ò▒ú(( ÿ(
þ(þ(þ(ý(þ(ü(
ý(ý(ÿ(ÿ8þÿ8úÿ▒ù▒ù▒ø▒ú▒(þ(þ(þ(ý(ÿ(þ8þþ8þÿ▒þ▒ÿ8ýþ8ùÿ8ùþ8øÿ▒ø▒÷▒ú▒ü▒ÿ
▒þ▒ü▒÷▒÷▒ÿ8ÿÿ▒þ▒ü▒ü▒ý▒ü▒ý▒þ▒ÿ▒ÿ

Edited by iccaros

Does the mouse work properly on another system? The optical beam going out is puzzling, could be faulty hardware. I would try all the different devices under /dev/input as well as /dev/mouse and /dev/psaux if they exist, I would also try Option "Protocol" "auto"

yes, I'm using it right now on Windows. no issues. The only time it doesn't work is with Linux. This is a new GE optical mouse. Been using the old ball mouse for the last 7 or 8 months, but got tired of having to continuously clean that stupid things ball, and rollers.

/dev/psaux doesn't exist in my dev file.

try this..

I'll try that and jcl's suggestion today, and see what happens.

yes, I'm using it right now on Windows. no issues. The only time it doesn't work is with Linux. This is a new GE optical mouse. Been using the old ball mouse for the last 7 or 8 months, but got tired of having to continuously clean that stupid things ball, and rollers.

/dev/psaux doesn't exist in my dev file.

try this..

I'll try that and jcl's suggestion today, and see what happens.

oh.. a GE mouse.... I had the GE wireless mouse I could never get to work with anything but windows.. sorry to say. I have no clue as why..

didn't get a chance to do that yesterday, however I know jcl's suggestion won't work, now that I think about it, because I go to move the mouse adn that's when the optic laser goes out.

I still will try the xorg.conf change to see if that works, hopefully I will get a chance to check that today.

well that didn't work, didnt' screw up X but still no mouse usage. Maybe I should see about getting the source files and doing a little comparing to the mousedev on DSL to Ubuntu. then recompile the kernel. I know thats going to take a while to do though. especially since I'm not familiar with bash and really dont' have any idea on what I'm doing. It will make an interesting learning process though.

ps2 and I don't want to go out and buy an adapter for a usb port. It shouldn't need it.

I do not think a usb adapter would even make a difference. If it was a usb mouse i may have thought the problem would be a usb module not getting loaded; that is not the case. I am not sure how much control the Deskop enviroment(kde, gnome) has over the mouse, but you may want to see if a different one works(it might give you ideas).

ps2 and I don't want to go out and buy an adapter for a usb port. It shouldn't need it.

I do not think a usb adapter would even make a difference. If it was a usb mouse i may have thought the problem would be a usb module not getting loaded; that is not the case. I am not sure how much control the Deskop enviroment(kde, gnome) has over the mouse, but you may want to see if a different one works(it might give you ideas).

truly I would look at the DSL xorg.conf file and not anything else.. It may be that the IR is showing up as diffrent buttons, since it sends the same signals to the PS/2 port as a ball mouse wiht two buttons/switches..

so DSL must be remapping the buttons.. xorg.conf is where that resides

so far it seems it works fine in KDE desktop. it's just gnome that isn't liking it. I was able to try it on kde desktop in a livecd of ubuntu and it works.

truly I would look at the DSL xorg.conf file and not anything else.. It may be that the IR is showing up as diffrent buttons, since it sends the same signals to the PS/2 port as a ball mouse wiht two buttons/switches..

so DSL must be remapping the buttons.. xorg.conf is where that resides

i will look into that. Worse case scenario, I go with DSL. The other day was the first time I had actually used it, seemed like a pretty decent setup, plust I feel like it would give me more avialable disk space after installing since it's only 50mb in size, and I have a 5 gig hdd it's on.

well, thats it, I did a lot of researching into this today, It turns out to be a kernel issue. First I'm going to try the new kernel see if it works, if not, then I will take the original Kernel and figure out how to recompile it and make it work. It just doesn't make sense that the mouse works fine on some distros, but not all of them. It's got to be a programming glitch.

well, thats it, I did a lot of researching into this today, It turns out to be a kernel issue. First I'm going to try the new kernel see if it works, if not, then I will take the original Kernel and figure out how to recompile it and make it work. It just doesn't make sense that the mouse works fine on some distros, but not all of them. It's got to be a programming glitch.

kbuntu..

it will let you stick with ubuntu ut have KDE (I like kde more... so you really can't trust my openion on this)

but...

to compile a kernel is easy.. really...

were here to help..