I posted this on G4 but no ones responded yet.

I'm at my friends place and she's having a problem with her wireless setup. The router loses the cable signal at random. And the PC that's connected wireless, keeps having to reconnect at random. She can always get back on line by pulling the plug on the router and reconnecting it. But she's getting fustrated. It's out of warranty.

It's a Linksys WRK54G w/laptop adapter (bought from Walmart). Both PC's are running XP. Any ideas?

I posted this on G4 but no ones responded yet.

I'm at my friends place and she's having a problem with her wireless setup. The router loses the cable signal at random. And the PC that's connected wireless, keeps having to reconnect at random. She can always get back on line by pulling the plug on the router and reconnecting it. But she's getting fustrated. It's out of warranty.

It's a Linksys WRK54G w/laptop adapter (bought from Walmart). Both PC's are running XP. Any ideas?

I was having a similar problem, I have charter cable, I concluded it was something with charter.

Hehe. Their ya go, blame on someone else :thumbsup:

Anyway, has she tried updating the routers firmware?

You sure nothing is causing interfearence? It took me almost a month to figure out that my wifi was being disturbed whenever sombody called and another month to figure out wich phone it was. ( Yea I was a bit slow) Really make sure you unplug EVERY cordless phone in the house and see if it helps.

Edited by Sir_Siddy
o.k., She says that they've had the Roadrunner out twice and they checked the lines and said everything was fine. The router has the latest firmware and I made sure nothing was causing interference.

Roadrunner is owned by Time Warner. I put up with Time Warner crap for 3 years dealing with my cable TV reception. They would come out and screw around then pronounce it fixed. It would mess up again in a short period after. Finally I called support and said I was switching to Dish. One of their techies showed up and said that there was a problem with the main cable and that they knew about when I first called 3 years previous and in between. He told me it would take a week to repair. It was done in 3 days. A friend of mine had the Roadrunner/Cable TV package and continually had problems for a couple of years. They gave him the same run around. My niece has their Internet/ Cable Tv/Phone package and has had many problems with it. They told her 8 months ago that the phone service would operate during a power failure becuase they would install a battery backup. Yesterday the power went out and she didn't have a phone.Time Warner/Roadrunner goes through the motions without accomplishing anything and will lie through their teeth.

The wireless is running at 2.4ghz. All phones in her apt. are 900mhz.

900 mhz phones can causse cross harmonic interferance with 2.4ghz. it's the reason the FCC started requiring wattage limits and frq regestering on both 2.4ghz and 900 mhz. 5.4ghz is out of range to interfer with either 900mhz or 2.4ghz (hence no regulation on power for 5.4)

I have noticed that if its just wireless going out (not the cable ) then its most likely a power problem with the house (older house ) or older wireing (power) is emmiting noise in the 2.4ghz range.

a spectrum ananlyer is the only thing that can tell you.. with my Linux system my wireless driver tells me my noise floor (if the noise floor is close to signal level it will be hard for your card to hear the wireless signal)

iwlist eth1 scanning
eth1 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:0F:66:C8:3A:59
ESSID:"Dawn19619669"
Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
Mode:Master
Channel:6
Encryption key:on
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
Extra: Rates (Mb/s): 1 2 5.5 6 9 11 12 18 24 36 48 54
Quality:39 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Extra: Last beacon: 136ms ago

if a windows tool can give you noise level, that would be the only way to find out..

Edited by iccaros

o.k. My friend and I fixed the problem. The router's warranty had ran out so,we went to Walmart (drunk) last night and bought the same router. Then we put bad router in the box and returned it today and got her money back. Now everything is running fine. Some might say this is wrong but I say screw it

o.k. My friend and I fixed the problem. The router's warranty had ran out so,we went to Walmart (drunk) last night and bought the same router. Then we put bad router in the box and returned it today and got her money back. Now everything is running fine. Some might say this is wrong but I say screw it

You did good. Screw Walmart.

now walmart can rasie my prices of goods to make up for it ;)

now walmart can rasie my prices of goods to make up for it ;)

Shop at Piggly Wiggly then :thumbsup: