If I install xp on another computer can I use the same cd key thats on my computer.

**Looks Around**

Yes, but depending on how long it's been since the last time you activated Windows, you might have to call to activate it. Removed

**:whistling::whistling: **

edit:removed reference to the possibility of software piracy. Dragon

Edited by Dragon
I have a Window XP SP2 CD the dell has just Windows XP.

if it is an OEM cd.. use the key on the sticker on the side (or call dell and they must replace the cd if they did not provide one)

a non OEM cd will not accept an oem key.

I have a Window XP SP2 CD the dell has just Windows XP.

if it is an OEM cd.. use the key on the sticker on the side (or call dell and they must replace the cd if they did not provide one)

a non OEM cd will not accept an oem key.

It must also be the same version. Home > Home, Pro > Pro. The SP doesn't matter.

I you they are both home or both pro you can. I did. I used my OEM disc that I bought for the sidewinder and used that disc for my compaq but used the key that came with the Compaq. You have to call Microsoft when the computer asks you to activate. When you call the provided number tell them you own the Liscense to both and have the keys to both. And make sure you have the Brand and Model Number ready. The first time I called the person didn't understand I had the Liscense for both but the second person did. She asked for the Product Key then the Brand and Model Number to confirm everything and gave me the code.

If I install xp on another computer can I use the same cd key thats on my computer.

Sort answer, NO... this is illegal and pirating. No ok to do.

Agreed Tony :)

As Tony said, what you want to do is illegal, and pirating, and as far as I know, it is IMPOSSIBLE to use the key from a Win XP CD more than once per install - The Key is specific to the CD, and will need to be activated - When the activation fails, you would have to call MS and have it activated.

Additionally, when MS does Validation to see if you are running a "legit copy of Windows" using that Validation Tool, it would find a problem, and say that your copy is not legitimate - XP Keys may be used to reinstall an OS if it fails, but using the same key on multiple machines is impossible as far as I know - and I have the FULL VERSION of XP Home Edition, and it wouldn't work with mine.

As far as OEM Versions, It normally only needs activation and I don't think a key from an OEM disk can be used with another CD - wouldn't make sense - So NOPE - No Go!

ONE CD, ONE KEY = 1 Single Install Per Machine, Per the EULA

Brian

Edited by baker7

As Tony said, what you want to do is illegal, and pirating, and as far as I know, it is IMPOSSIBLE to use the key from a Win XP CD more than once per install - The Key is specific to the CD, and will need to be activated - When the activation fails, you would have to call MS and have it activated.

Additionally, when MS does Validation to see if you are running a "legit copy of Windows" using that Validation Tool, it would find a problem, and say that your copy is not legitimate - XP Keys may be used to reinstall an OS if it fails, but using the same key on multiple machines is impossible as far as I know - and I have the FULL VERSION of XP Home Edition, and it wouldn't work with mine.

As far as OEM Versions, It normally only needs activation and I don't think a key from an OEM disk can be used with another CD - wouldn't make sense - So NOPE - No Go!

Brian

He is using a WinXP Home SP2 OEM CD to reinstall XP on a Dell instead of using the Dell CD. The Dell already had XP Home on it but it was the version before SP1. He can use an OEM CD to install XP on that PC but he needs to use the key that is already on the PC and not the one that came with the SP2 disk. This is legal. The only problem may be the key on the side of the computer. Sometimes OEM PCs have a key on the side that are the factory keys. He will need to use Magic Jelly Bean to retrieve the internal key on the Dell for activation.

ok this thread is being closed, we are clearly instructing someone on how to pirate Windows.

This is not only against Windows EULA but also against BT policy.

under Member Conduct
  • You agree:
    (1)to comply with all laws, rules and other regulations applicable to your use of the Services.
    (2)not to use the Services for illegal purposes.

After reviewing the original question, we've decided that the OP is NOT asking for help with an illegal action, and this post can continue.

The OP has 2 legit XP keys and only 1 XP CD, and is asking if it's possible to use this CD to reinstall on his other machine, and use that key to activate it again.

After reviewing the original question, we've decided that the OP is NOT asking for help with an illegal action, and this post can continue.

The OP has 2 legit XP keys and only 1 XP CD, and is asking if it's possible to use this CD to reinstall on his other machine, and use that key to activate it again.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

oh....OK my bad hehehehe :)

(checks glasses: Thats what I get for NOT having them on when I read the OP's first posting......)

Post On ;)

Brian

Edited by baker7

Quote:

I listen, in fact, I do believe its obvious you can use any XP CD with any XP Key

OK then answer me this: I have NOT been able, no matter what I try, to get SP2 installed and working on my computer. I own an Update WinXP Pro CD and own Win2K so that I can use the update.

Can I get somebody's WinXP Pro SP2 CD and do a reinstall with MY CD key and finally get my system updated to current specs?

I know somebody that has a WinXP Pro SP2 CD

I'm not sure if it is a OEM CD or not, however. Would that make any difference ?

Right now, I don't use IE or OE so I'm not so concerned with the security issues with those two programs but I really would like to be current with my OS. I HAVE installed ALL the other updates so I am current there.

This has REALLY been an ongoing struggle to try to get SP2 working.

I could go into more detail but I don't think it's relevant here.

Any thoughts from the experts???

thanks..........jr

IEHD, there's one thing I need to know before this thread should be continued. Do you have two legit XP discs and two legit CD keys? There still seems to be some confusion on this matter, at least for me.

He has 2 computers but one disk. Both PCs have XP on them. The one that is a Dell doesn't have the Dell disk and he wants to use his WinXP Home SP2 OEM disk to do a reinstall of XP on the Dell. This is legal and will work with the key that is on the Dell.

jimras

OEM key > OEM disk, Retail > Retail. Home > Home, Pro > Pro. Upgrade has it's own key.

Common Issues with Windows XP Service Pack 2

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

IEHD, there's one thing I need to know before this thread should be continued. Do you have two legit XP discs and two legit CD keys? There still seems to be some confusion on this matter, at least for me.

He has 2 computers but one disk. Both PCs have XP on them. The one that is a Dell doesn't have the Dell disk and he wants to use his WinXP Home SP2 OEM disk to do a reinstall of XP on the Dell. This is legal and will work with the key that is on the Dell.

jimras

OEM key > OEM disk, Retail > Retail. Home > Home, Pro > Pro. Upgrade has it's own key.

Common Issues with Windows XP Service Pack 2

ty lol

Agreed Tony :)

ONE CD, ONE KEY = 1 Single Install Per Machine, Per the EULA

Brian

I bought an XP HME SP1 cd 2 years ago or so and have since installed XP HME on 5 machines. No problems with activating or validation on either computers. I once heard that Microsoft does allow installation on up to ?5? computers.