Gettin An Error When I Bootup

Today when I rebooted my puter, while it was loadin everythin I got a box.. Windows Instaler - Preparing to instal. That box went away and another popped up, Norton AntiVirus 2005 - Please wait while windows configures Norton Anti 2005. Then another box, Norton AntiVirus 2005 - Nortons does not support the repair feature, uninstall and reinstall.

Can anyone help me with this?

Edited by Angie

trying to click on the direct link to the problem at Symantec seems to be stalling. I willl quote the solution here and provide a link at Microsoft for finding this solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-u...id=2514&sid=759

Message: "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature . . . "

Situation:

You may see the message "Norton AntiVirus 2005 does not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall." during the installation of Norton AntiVirus 2005. This message can also appear when starting the computer or when opening a Microsoft Office document or worksheet after Norton AntiVirus is installed.

Solution:

Before you begin:

If you changed the default location for the Norton AntiVirus shortcuts in the Windows Start Menu, then go to the Technical Information section.

Follow the steps in the section "Restore the Windows Start menu entry for Norton AntiVirus."

If you see this message again when opening a Microsoft Office document or worksheet, then go to the Technical Information section. Follow the steps in the section "Disable the Office plug-in."

If neither of the above situations applies to you, then continue with the rest of this document.

There is more than one possible solution for this. Try the solutions in the order listed. If the first solution does not work, then try the second solution.

Solution 1: Check for needed Norton program folders

This error can happen if needed folders are not created during the installation. Follow the steps in this section to check for the folders.

To check that the quarantine folder exists

If the error message appears, click OK to close the dialog box.

On the Windows desktop, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer.

Go to the following folder depending on your Norton program version:

C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine

C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine

C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine

Do the following depending on whether the folder exists or not:

If the folder exists, skip to "To check that the Incoming and Portal folders exist."

If there are no folders, then go on to step 5.

Click the following folder depending on your Norton program version:

C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus

C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus

C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus

From the File menu, click New > Folder.

Type Quarantine and press Enter.

Go on to the next section.

To check that the Incoming and Portal folders exist

Go to the following folder depending on your Norton program version:

You should see the two folders Portal and Incoming listed under the Quarantine folder.

Do the following depending on whether the folders exist or not:

If the folders exist, skip to "Section 2: Download all other available Symantec program updates."

If there are no folders, then go on to step 6.

Click the following folder depending on your Norton program version:

Type Portal and press Enter.

Type Incoming and press Enter.

Close Windows Explorer.

Restart the computer.

If this does not fix the problem, then go on to the next solution.

Solution 2: Download all other available Symantec program updates

To install the updates, start your Norton program, run LiveUpdate, download all available updates, including any Norton AntiVirus Updates, and restart the computer when prompted. For more details on how to run LiveUpdate, see the document How to run LiveUpdate.

If this does not fix the problem, then go on to the next solution.

Solution 3: Run the Symantec Automated Support Assistant

The Symantec Automated Support Assistant finds many problems and then directs you to one of the following resources:

A technical document

A file to download

A virus removal utility

To run the Symantec Automated Support Assistant

Exit all programs, except for your Web browser.

Run the Automated Support Assistant, and follow its instructions.

The Automated Support Assistant is a quick way to check for the most common threats.

Restart the computer, if prompted.

If this does not fix the problem, then it is possible that the problem can be caused by a security risk that may have infected your computer. Run an online virus scan to rule out an infection. Go on to the next section for detailed instructions.

Solution 4: Scan from the Symantec Security Check Web site

From the Symantec Security Check Web site, you can run a full scan of your computer. The scan looks for viruses, worms, and Trojans. If any are found, the scan results give the name of the threat. Many threats include a link to a Security Response write-up, which includes removal instructions. You may see more than one link if there is more than one threat.

Note: This scan cannot remove any threats that are detected. You must remove any threats manually, or by using a tool, if one is available.

To scan from the Symantec Security Check Web site

Exit all programs except for your Web browser.

Double-click the following link:

Symantec Security Check Web site

If you see a security warning that asks you to install Virus Detection, click Yes.

In the Virus Detection section, click Start.

Allow the scan to run. This scan could take a long time if you have a slow Internet connection.

When you are finished, click the Back button to return to this document.

Depending on the results of the scan, do one of the following:

If any known threats were found, remove them. Click the link to each threat and follow the steps in the Removal Instructions section of the Security Response write-up. Once you remove the threat, return to this document and go on to "Solution 5: Remove and reinstall all of your Norton programs."

If no known threats were found, close the browser window to return to this document, and go on to "Solution 5: Remove and reinstall all of your Norton programs."

Solution 5: Remove and reinstall all of your Norton Programs

Follow the steps in the following document to uninstall all Norton programs, restart the computer with no other programs running on start up and then reinstall the programs:

Uninstalling and reinstalling your Symantec program after you see error messages

Technical Information:

Restore the Windows Start menu entry for Norton AntiVirus

This message can happen if you have changed the default location for the Norton AntiVirus shortcuts in the Windows Start Menu. The default locations of the shortcuts are:

In the stand-alone version of Norton AntiVirus:

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton AntiVirus

In Norton AntiVirus installed as part of Norton Internet Security:

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus

In Norton AntiVirus installed as part of Norton SystemWorks:

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Norton SystemWorks Premier\Norton AntiVirus

If you have moved the shortcuts from the default location, then move them back to their original location to fix the problem. For details, read the next section.

Follow the steps for your product. Click the icon to the left of the section to either expand ( ) or collapse ( ) it.(If you cannot open a section, then your Web browser does not let scripts run, or the Windows Script host is not working. Read Cannot expand sections in a Symantec Knowledge Base document for how to fix this. Come back to this page when you are finished.)

To restore the Windows Start menu for Norton AntiVirus

Follow the steps in each section in the order listed.

To create the Norton AntiVirus Start menu folder

On the Windows desktop, right-click Start > Open All Users.

In the right pane, double-click Programs.

On the menu, click File > New > Folder.

In the right pane, type Norton AntiVirus and then click a blank space in the pane to save the name.

Go to the next section

To copy the Norton AntiVirus shortcuts to the new Start menu folder

On the toolbar, click Folder.

In the left pane, go to the folder where you moved the Norton AntiVirus menu shortcuts.

Click the folder.

Click the right pane and then, from the menu, click Edit > Select All.

From the menu, click Edit > Copy.

Double-click Norton AntiVirus.

From the menu, click Edit > Paste.

Exit Windows Explorer.

If this does not fix the problem, then go on to the next section.

To restore the Windows Start menu for Norton Internet Security

In the right pane, double-click Norton Internet Security.

In the right pane, type Norton AntiVirus and then click a blank space in the pane to save the name.

Go to the next section

In the left pane, go to the folder where you moved the Norton AntiVirus menu shortcuts.

Click the folder.

In the right pane, double-click Norton Internet Security.

Exit Windows Explorer.

To restore the Windows Start menu for Norton SystemWorks

In the right pane, double-click Norton SystemWorks. (If you have Norton SystemWorks Premier, then double-click Norton SystemWorks Premier.)

Go to the next section

Click the folder.

In the right pane, double-click Norton SystemWorks. (If you have Norton SystemWorks Premier, then double-click Norton SystemWorks Premier.)

Exit Windows Explorer.

Disable the Office plug-in

To fix the problem, disable the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office.

To disable the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in

For instructions, see the document Turning on and turning off the Norton AntiVirus plug-in for Microsoft Office. Follow the steps in the section "To disable the plug-in for Office 2000 or Office XP" under your version of Norton AntiVirus.

LOL, Angie, yep, teenagers.....they "know it all" about these strange techy idiot boxes till they break, and then WHO do they call wailing??? Yep...Mom. :D We need teenagers like the teenagers here at BT's!! Glad you got it fixed.

Do you have Adaware, Spybot and especially SpywareBlaster installed? Spybot and Spywareblaster have saved me from hearing the wailing a LOT!

Liz

Liz all my daughter is interested in is chattin it up with her friends.

I've had AdAware and SpyBot. I recently installed Spyware Guard not really sure about it.. It just sits there LoL Should I replace it with SpywareBlaster or add SpywareBlaster?

Let the experts chime in here, but I personally love SpywareBlaster, don't know anything about SpywareGuard. SpywareBlaster is easy to install (even for a noob like me!) and it puts about 5000 cootie infested sites in your "Restricted Site Box", so if one of the kids tries to go to one of these sites, the computer won't let them.

I think SpywareBlaster stopped some aggravating pop-ups we used to get, too (not sure, we installed Spybot and Adaware and Spywareblaster the same day...)

DO make sure to drum into Daughter's head to never open a sent link when she's chatting, unless she knows for sure the person on the other side really sent the link. Heard some horror stories about links sent through AIM

Liz

hi angie

another good safe guard

is to reset your cookies

go to IE.tools- internet options-privacy tab

advanced -check override automatic cooky handling

then check.prompt for first party cookies

check- block third party cookies.

check allow session-cookies

this way when you go to a site

and the site wants to place a tracking cookie on your sys

you will get a prompt notice

and you can click weather you want it

or not .

have fun

marty

one suggestion I think most people forget about is to create a limited user, and only allow others to use that for the internet.. that way things will not have permission to install. you lock the admin user (your normal user) with a password. it may sound like a pain, but I would rather use a password and not have to clean up my computer every month.

to create a limited user, go to control pannel --> users

create a user, it will at the end ask if its is a normal user (read admin can distroy your computer) or limited.

When I use windows I only use a normaly account when I must.. some games and to install/repair some thing. all other times I use a limited user account.

I dont like norton, because its big, it doesnt detect most viruses and trojans, even the corporate edition, and its only updated on wedensdays.

I now use NOD32, which is $40/year i think. Its well worth the money, as i see the "nod is updated" ballon three times a day, its wonderfull. Even on christmas day it came up twice!

The renew value goes down to $30/year. Its also very small and it is parinoid ammount of security!

It makes me wonder why i even tried to use norton.

Pierce

I agree with Iccaros's suggestion, create a limited user account for your daughter & her friends to use so they don't have the user rights to mess things up....too much anyway.

Teenagers will ALWAYS find a way to screw things up somehow, but this may help limit the damage control ;)