I've complained about eMachines in the past - most of the time it's faulty PSU's

But now I've totally had it

I was reparing a customer's computer - it had a bad motherboard - and I was replacing it. After testing the new board out of the box, it performed fine. I then put it in the case and plugged in the cables and the BIOS gives me a fan speed error - even though the fan is spinning fine (I checked connections, different fans, everything)

So, I switched to another board (another new one) tested out of the box, then put it in. As soon as I plugged in the power to the PSU the computer turns on and I smelled smoke. The CPU and RAM were fine, but the board was fried

Come to find out yesterday that the GD power supply was eating the boards - so I'm done with eMachines - they SUCK

I've complained about eMachines in the past - most of the time it's faulty PSU's

But now I've totally had it

I was reparing a customer's computer - it had a bad motherboard - and I was replacing it. After testing the new board out of the box, it performed fine. I then put it in the case and plugged in the cables and the BIOS gives me a fan speed error - even though the fan is spinning fine (I checked connections, different fans, everything)

So, I switched to another board (another new one) tested out of the box, then put it in. As soon as I plugged in the power to the PSU the computer turns on and I smelled smoke. The CPU and RAM were fine, but the board was fried

Come to find out yesterday that the GD power supply was eating the boards - so I'm done with eMachines - they SUCK

The older e-machines were not the greatest PC's around. The newer ones have improved greatly. Do you think that e-machines makes their own PSU? No they don't. You need to Get on the people that made the PSU.

The older e-machines were not the greatest PC's around. The newer ones have improved greatly. Do you think that e-machines makes their own PSU? No they don't. You need to Get on the people that made the PSU.

Funny you say that i have had over a dozen e-machines mainly cus i have never had one fail on me. My first computer was an emachines(400mhz and a whopping 32mb of ram) and my latest is an emachines(2800+ Athlon XP 1GB RAM) I must have been the lucky customer. I have had the WORST luck with IBM's have had 3 and all three of them went dead within the first year, first was the mobo second was the PSU and 3rd was the BIOS.

out of the five I have own I have only had one PSU fail (of course from then on I replaced them on day one). I have not had any problem out of any of them with the exception of the funky power switch on this one.

I found my first one at the dumpster (366mhz cyrix) it ran about a year before I replace the PSU and the processor with a 500mhz AMD it is still running to this day That was in 98 or 99. I will continue to buy them as long as I have to share a PC with my family. I don't feel cheated in the least. Statistically speaking there is no way any Commercial or custom computer maker can have 100% satisfaction they all send out a number of defective ones even the big names do it. I stand by statement that emachines make great entry level/ budget family PCs.

Preston

Edited by rhema7

I have had only one eMachine. A friend of mine gave it to me Xmas eve 03. The thing was built in 99. It was an eMonster 600. It had a PIII 600MHz slot 1 with original 64mb of PC100 but when i got it it had a 128mb PC133 stick in it too. It had a VooDoo3 3000 in it that I immediately chucked and put a GeForce 2 in it. The only prob I had was I had bad luck with hard drives. It originally had a 20GB seagate but it sounded like my friend had dropped the HDD cause it failed to work and rattled really badly when you shook it. I replaced it temporarily with a 2GB Seagate then put a 10GB Fujitsu. It quit real fast. I put the 2GB back in then replaced it with a 20GB WD. After a few months of use I thought it died. I put a 3GB seagate this time from a Compaq I think. Well not but a few months ago I discovered that WD still works cause I have FC4 on it right now but it's in a different computer. A few weeks ago I gave that computer to a good friend of mine to replace his god awful Compaq with a Cyrix in it. The eMachine now has an ATI 3DRage Pro Video card, just 128MB PC133, and his 4GB Seagate from his Compaq. All this time and it still has its cheapo no name OEM PSU. I loved that little monster, but when you have 3 computers in the house that can run circles around it, ya kinda don't want to hang on to it too much.

Edited by Honda_Boy
I used the same memory and different CPU to test

But a different board instead

The reason I'm getting on eMcachines is because they constantly have crappy PSU's and now it's REALLY pissing me off

My suggestion to you would be to refuse to work on E-Machines. That would take the bitter taste out of your mouth...

If I kept falling off a bicycle because I couldn't ride, I would not get back on again...

Edited by MrBill

The reason I'm getting on eMcachines is because they constantly have crappy PSU's and now it's REALLY pissing me off

My suggestion to you would be to refuse to work on E-Machines. That would take the bitter taste out of your mouth...

If I kept falling off a bicycle because I couldn't ride, I would not get back on again...

Exactly.

I've yet to find a DELL,Compaq,HP, or ANY pre-built off-the-shelf PC with a good,quality PSU. They are all crap.

all my systems have always had good PSU's. My gateway, my 2 Compaqs (one is over 8 years old), my emachine, and even the PSu that came with my MGE XG Sidewinder case is still runnin strong. The 200W PSU in my bedroom compaq is chuggin along fine powering all the regular stuff plus a GeForce FX5700 Ultra. Never had failures or restarts.

Just cause I have always had good luck with mine doesn't mean that they are always gonna be good. I would say that a lot of OEM supply's are cheap I guess i've just been real lucky. Alos the ages of all my PSU's, Gateway 5 years, Compaq #1, 8 years, Compaq #2, 1 1/2 or so, eMachine about 6, and the MGE about 1.

Edited by Honda_Boy

My 6 year old Gateway has been great

All i've ever done is upgrade the RAM and replace CD drives in it

you do know that gateway and emachine are the same now...right? :blink:

That's disheartening.

I didn't know that. So much for the South Dakota home grown image, I guess.

My 6 year old Gateway has been great

All i've ever done is upgrade the RAM and replace CD drives in it

you do know that gateway and emachine are the same now...right? :blink:

Don't break his heart now... I wonder if he got on the CD drive people because he had to replace them?

usually what the guy at the shop I hang out at does is when he gets a comp witha fried mobo he usually suggests a new system due to the proprietary things each manufacturer does such as power button jumpers, shapes sizes and compatibility. Usually the fried mobo systems he gets are little cheapo Celeron or old P4 Compaqs, HP's, Dell's, and eMachines. I don't think I've seen a single AMD based system being repaired though. Hehe. Had to bash intel somehow today. :) The vast majority of the complaints he hears is "I can't get on the internet." He gets a few fried boards but can't work with them easily due to proprietary stuff.

P.S. he had an old Packard Bell in is shop a couple of weeks ago. It was covered in Viruses.

P.S. he had an old Packard Bell in is shop a couple of weeks ago. It was covered in Viruses.

A year or so ago some idiot brought in a Packard Bell saying that it woudn't boot

I went to boot it and ended up removing a floppy disc and it worked fine (except for the fact that is was old as hell)

Minimum $25 charge - they never came back to pick it up

heck...my old packard bell(S606..Win95) is still running in my tool shop...used to run a home inspection software package a few years back...made me a lot of money..don't know why i just don't recycle it...i'm usually not so sentimental about things that caused me so much pain...LOL