The computer is running Windows XP home edition I believe and it is an older E-Machine. The computer has always had its little bugs and what not but yesterday it just shut down. I restarted it and it loads up and and after about 1 min the screen turns black. I tried booting it up and safe mood and the same thing happens after one min, the screen turns black. Does anybody have any idea what this could be. Is there a way I could start the computer and possibly fix it or find out what the problem is? Thanks for any help you can offer.

On board video. I dont know what model it is though (T1220 - T1440 ?) One of the disks that came with it had those numbers on it.

Pick up a PCI video card and see if that will work. The onboard video may have gone bad. There isn't a sticker with the model number on the case?

I can boot the computer up with my norton cd but all the cd will do then is scan the a: drive.(if that means anything)

also when I start the computer up the 10 sec before the screen goes black the computer freezes.

Edited by Deucehearts

when you boot it up do you get any beeps like a long beep high pitch or 3 beeps in a row something of that nature?

does it load to windows or does it stay stuck in the boot process?

Edited by Mainter

sounds to me like either memory is loose or the videocard is overheating open up the case and push everything down make sure you got a tight connection also clean the dust out of the computer its prolly it the videocard is not able to breathe take some canned air good brand cause some contain water vapors and clean out the computer

like i asked before does the computer make 3 beeps when it boots up if you hear beeps of any sort post what they were that way we can have somewhere to start i know with emachines 3 short beeps is the onboard videocard is bad

check the conection from your monitor

to the on board video

and make sure it is secure

and that there are no bent pins

if there are bent pins

be careful if you straighten them

as they are brittle and breake easy

marty