I am trying to upgrade a computer from IE5 to IE6. it does not have an ethernet port. I am trying to download it using my high speed connection, then I can place it on a cd. I found this link, but it is only letting my download a .5 mb file. Is it possible to download the whole install. here is the link that is only allowing me to get the half a megabyte file

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Not sure if this is will work or not, it's "supposed" to be the full version--I emailed myself this link after I reformatted the Possessed Gateway and I haven't gotten around to getting it online yet.

http://www.petri.co.il/download_the_full_ie_package.htm

And this one, too

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

*ahem* Please let me know if either of these is the full version of ie6?? :blush::):blush:

Liz

Edited by blim

Thanks for the feedback, Shanenin and Robroy (and thanks for letting me hijack your thread, Shanenin :thumbsup: ) Now to wait for the family to fight over the one internet connected idiot box and get IE installed....I figure as long as PG isn't online, this reinstall will stay squeaky clean (so far so good)

Liz

What is the point of having IE on a comp with out internet access? You can add what ever version of IE your comp came with on the OS by going to Start/ Control Panel/ Add/Remove Programs/ Add/Remove Windows Componants/ and checking IE and click next.

He didn't state that the PC has no Internet access, just that it doesn't have Ethernet capabilities. In other words downloading IE 6 with dialup would be time consuming. As t the rest of your comments he already has an older version of IE which he would like to upgrade.

Well....just wanted to add my input to the post....

I have re-installed IE6 after my computer had a homepage hijacker (many, many years ago, before I knew how to remove them), and checking back on the installer, its .5MB--480 kilobytes to be exact. It worked for me in the past, I'm sure that .5MB file is going to work.

If you're downloading updates as part of your business (I saw it in an earlier post) then I strongly recommend that you buy a USB to Ethernet Adaptor. It's great for old computers (for fixing of course) and for getting reloaded computers online (since you most likely won't have the Ethernet driver loaded on there)

It's a Godsend and I think they only run for about $20

If you're downloading updates as part of your business (I saw it in an earlier post) then I strongly recommend that you buy a USB to Ethernet Adaptor. It's great for old computers (for fixing of course) and for getting reloaded computers online (since you most likely won't have the Ethernet driver loaded on there)

I second that....like the floppy of the modern age :). On sale you can pick up a 128MB one for $10 or cheaper if you're lucky.

For future reference and others with the same problem...the latest version of IE can be found on one of those AOL disks that you see everywhere. Just close out the AOL install when it starts,explore the CD. Its there. No download required.

IN fact,the latest disk that I explored also had ad-aware on it . Those AOL disks are good for something besides coasters.

I second that....like the floppy of the modern age :). On sale you can pick up a 128MB one for $10 or cheaper if you're lucky.

No I was referring to an adaptor that goes from a USB to Ethernet

Newegg $13.99 Trendnet Adaptor

Not a flash drive

I just purchased one off of eBay for about $10 w/ shipping (from America) Trust me, you'll need it if you reload Windows enough

Edited by xxkbxx

I had an older PC in my shop that didn't have an ethernet port,and only 2 UBB ports. I bought a DLink combo USB Hub/ Ethernet. Plugged it into the USB,installed the drivers (not necessary in XP) and I had ethernet,plus 3 USB ports in place of one. All of this without opening the Computer.

I bought the unit on Ebay ..a box of 10 unopened new in box for $60 incl shipping. Used 2 of them,gave 1 away...sold the rest on ebay one at a time. Ended up with a small profit,overall.

I assume they still make them. The easiest way I've founf to add ethernet to a computer.

I had an older PC in my shop that didn't have an ethernet port,and only 2 UBB ports. I bought a DLink combo USB Hub/ Ethernet. Plugged it into the USB,installed the drivers (not necessary in XP) and I had ethernet,plus 3 USB ports in place of one. All of this without opening the Computer.

I bought the unit on Ebay ..a box of 10 unopened new in box for $60 incl shipping. Used 2 of them,gave 1 away...sold the rest on ebay one at a time. Ended up with a small profit,overall.

I assume they still make them. The easiest way I've founf to add ethernet to a computer.

Personally, I'd rather throw in a $10 NIC card for a longterm fix. I only use the adaptors for repairs