OK, boys, settle down *hugs* You're both right--giving jd lots and lots of choices to choose from will help him decide what will be the best gadgets for his new toy and Terrorist reminding us of his budget is will keep everyone and jd down to earth. You all are giving jd lots of great advice :wub:

Now, XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center??? Daughter got XP Media Center on her new idiot box and from what I can see so far, listening to music, watching movies, playing games, all that can be done on Home with Windows Media Player, too, so I'm thinking "why get add-ons that can break?" I did send her an email asking which system she prefers, if she answers, I'll post her reply.

As far as Pro goes, it probably depends on if you'll use the extra features that Pro has on it, again, if you'll never see yourself using these gadgets, why have them?

What's the cost difference between the different systems? I'm guessing plain ol' Home is the cheapest?

What do you plan to do with your new toy, jd?

Liz

I download a lot of movies and games of bittrorrent so its for both of those.

Could get Windows XP Home OEM for $59.99 from: Windows XP Home OEM

Get your OS off of newegg or tiger direct.

Ok I was just wondering why I should get it off Newegg or TigerDirect? Just wodering. It's cheaper on eDirectSofware.

eDirectSoftware has a bad rep. Do your self a favor and buy WinXP Home or Pro OEM from a decent retailer like NewEgg or Tiger Direct. eDirectSoftware sells Dell branded WinXP disks with a COA from other manufacturers.

Ok I was just wondering why I should get it off Newegg or TigerDirect? Just wodering. It's cheaper on eDirectSofware.

eDirectSoftware has a bad rep. Do your self a favor and buy WinXP Home or Pro OEM from a decent retailer like NewEgg or Tiger Direct. eDirectSoftware sells Dell branded WinXP disks with a COA from other manufacturers.

Isn't that against the liicense to install branded software on a different type of computer?

Isn't that against the liicense to install branded software on a different type of computer?

It's supposed to be. I don't know how they get around it, but if you notice they don't state this on their site that the COA is for another PC manufacturer. They do say the disk is for Dell.

buying a DELL OEM or any other OEM is bad cause you are loaded with branded XP of Dell or whatever OEM you got ( it just looks tacky) also all the different OEM use a different key algorithm then the regular xp