I just built a new pc for a friend with all new parts. After I format the drive and partion, I can install an OS but it wont boot to the OS. I tried doing this several times reformating each time. I've tried win98, SUSE, and RedHat. It only boots to linux if you have the linux disc in the cdrom or I get this error:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE; INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I have done alot of messing around with it and I cant seem to get it to work, does anyone have any ideas?

install runs through without errors?

Goto manufatures website, download diagnostic tools, run to test drive. Drive may have bad sectors.

OS CD is free of scratches/smudges? Label side of cd is free of scratches?

M

I just built a new pc for a friend with all new parts. After I format the drive and partion, I can install an OS but it wont boot to the OS. I tried doing this several times reformating each time. I've tried win98, SUSE, and RedHat. It only boots to linux if you have the linux disc in the cdrom or I get this error:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE; INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

I have done alot of messing around with it and I cant seem to get it to work, does anyone have any ideas?

Maybe you've got a windows or linux boot loader that's messing up your boot sector. You could try to use a win 98 boot floppy and boot from that. Remove all partitions with the floppy disk, then format c:

After your hard drive is cleanly formatted maybe you'll be able to install. It may be a hardware issue, are all cables connected properly?