Diet Soda Reduces Cancer Risk

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_28945.html

Overall, the team found, drinking soda slightly reduced esophageal adenocarcinoma risk. When they separated out the effects of diet and non-diet soda, Mayne and her team found people who drank diet soda had a 53 percent lower risk of the cancer than those who drank the least. Sugared soda had no effect.

I wonder if they could break this down into diet soda with splenda, those with aspartame , and those with acesulfamine.

Of course the fact that drinking one non diet soft drink a day will add fifteen pounds per year to the average person could just mean that obesity is the culprit.

Think I'll wait for them to figure out what's going on before I switch to that nasty, NASTY diet stuff.

Oh, and it's "pop," not soda. :lol:

I hate nutrasweet with a passion; but to me splenda tastes just like sugar (well maybe a bit of a hint of chlorine like over chlorinated city water ). Since my wife is diabetic and needed to loose the weight after her heart attack and bypass all we buy now is diet with splenda. We even buy the bulk splenda for cooking and it is quite satisfactory in things like cobbler, cornbread , muffins, cakes and cookies.

*I'm gonna live forever!* I've been drinking diet Coke for over 30 years... Can't stand the sugared stuff, it leaves a bad after taste for me.

And yes, they have done wonders with sugar subsitutes over the years. (don't like the new Coke Zero though)

Personally, I prefer natural sugar in everything as well. The Splenda and equivalents just leave an artifical and chemical taste in my mouth.

As for pop/soft drinks, I can't stand those much and I don't know why considering all my friends drink a ton.

... to me splenda tastes just like sugar (well maybe a bit of a hint of chlorine like over chlorinated city water ). ...

I guess it depends on your motivation. A long, long time ago I was determined to lose weight and switched to diet. Son-of-a-gun, it didn't taste bad at all. I thought they had performed some miracle and made it taste OK after all. Once the weight was gone I had a diet soda and it tasted like CRAP again.

I've been so leery of having that nasty taste in my mouth again I haven't tried any of the new sweetners introduced since Nutrasweet. I'm willing to try Splenda since I've heard it's quite good, but I'm not goin' out of my way to get me some.

Basically splenda is normal sugar (Glucose) which has one hydroxyl (OH) molecule replaced with a Chlorine (Cl) atom.

Borden had been cleaning a sugar refinery in Florida with hot super chlorinated water and someone resumed production without first flushing the system. The first batch out was this bizarre puffy substance . They decided they better test it to make sure it was not toxic before resuming production and thus splenda was discovered.

The main result of this is that the crystals are much larger and less dense. But it has a comparable (although slightly more like caramel or brown sugar since it is processed at a higher temperature) taste and sweetness volume for volume (not weight for weight where the sweetness of splenda due to larger crystal size is much higher) .The larger crystals actually tend to trap air so they fizz as they dissolve.

However, due to the slight chemical difference; it takes as much energy to metabolize as it produces.

Hence zero calorie.

I did drink a soda that use Splenda, my god... it taste sooo awful.

Since many school starting banning soda in vending machine of their, it will ruin the profits of the soda company. so i knew they will switch to Splenda to order to put those soda back to the vending machine and might ruin the flavor of it. that one of my main concern about Splenda.

I did drink a soda that use Splenda, my god... it taste sooo awful.

Since many school starting banning soda in vending machine of their, it will ruin the profits of the soda company. so i knew they will switch to Splenda to order to put those soda back to the vending machine and might ruin the flavor of it. that one of my main concern about Splenda.

Yeah, I tried diet big red with splenda and it tasted positively foul.

On the other hand, the Diet Rite white grape is excellent, as are the Diet Rite and RC Diet sodas. The new diet berry Seven-up with splenda is also good in my opinion.

goman87 Posted Today, 03:16 AM

My dad always told me not to drink it, because he said it raised your chance of cancer.

That is the point. This rumor has been circulating and the National Instititute of Health decided to confirm it. Instead they found out that the exact opposite is true. That people were being fed false information about the danger of diet sodas.

hi pete

as a diabetic my self

sugar is out for me

ive tried all the artificall sweeteners

but i cant get used to the taste

so now i drink water.

water in this country is AT THE MOMENT

plentifull.

and the area i come from, has some of the purist water

in the world,[and sweet]

scientists words not mine

so i recommend drink water

if possable

for your health

marty

Basically splenda is normal sugar (Glucose) which has one hydroxyl (OH) molecule replaced with a Chlorine (Cl) atom.

Borden had been cleaning a sugar refinery in Florida with hot super chlorinated water and someone resumed production without first flushing the system. The first batch out was this bizarre puffy substance . They decided they better test it to make sure it was not toxic before resuming production and thus splenda was discovered. ...

First, chlorine?!? Something they've reduced, minimized or eliminated altogether from public water supplies due to health risks? Yummy! (And likely explains the actual or perceived 'yucky' taste.) I'm guessin' the chlorine atom is pretty well 'attached' so the health risk is either non-existant or, at if there is one now or to be found, is different from the one that occurs in potable water supplies.

Second, "Oops, we left a toxic chemical in there, let's see how this bizarre puffy stuff tastes!" Ain't serendipity grand? :blink:

I know, I know, essentially everything we eat is comprised of chemical compounds. I kid.

Mmmmm, and don't I love my well water. Our local city water has 11 different chemicals at the tap... And it stinks of chlorine like a public swimming pool. Jeesch, they get the water from wells.....

Just 6 miles east of me, Augusta, MI holds the "best water in Michigan" title. And they have "well protection zones" that dissallow TruGreen and other agri/topical applications. Lovin' that!