Social Security #'s Listed On H&r Block Envelopes

This was just on our evening news tonight.

Some of the mailings, possibly with a cd, from H&R Block, have your social security number printed on the envelope. Supposedly their website talks about it, but I didn't find it even with a search.

The local lady that received one, showed the envelope with her SS # blocked out in the midst of a long string of numbers. Addressed to her, or current occupant/resident of that address. She has not received the warning letter that H&R Block says it sent.

Here is one of the news articles I found about this latest of companies doing this sort of careless handling of peoples private information.

H&R Block Puts Social Security Numbers on junk mail envelopes

Sure makes me mad at such stupidity. What are they thinking/smoking in these companies that they don't even seem to care what they do with our private information? :wacko:

I told my husband tonight that it's time we shred (or burn) everything from now on. That would save me sorting out what is safe to recycle and what goes to shred basket.

I didn't know if I should put this here or in the security alerts section, so if the mods want to move it there go ahead.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

The scary part is that if you have moved since you last used them, they send it to your last known address so that who knows whom got it and now knows your social security number and name . All they need to open all kinds of things in your name .

:huh: Reminds me of a friend who spent 20-30 minutes a day sorting mail and removing covers off catalogs to be shredded. Duh0... You should have seen her face when I mentioned the "pre addressed" order form inside. :lol:

Yikes, I never thought of the order sheets. Yes I do tear off the address/code stuff of catalogs. One company asked my catalog code for an order a couple of years back, and then said will you be using the same credit card and number/expiration code as last time? That's when I knew that the address and code numbers on back cover could be used wrongly by someone. Because the long account code is yours and links in their computer to your credit card, just like your account number is full of private information anywhere else.

I am beginning to think it is impossible to stay safe, we've gone through id theft once got it solved fairly 'easy' though stressful for a long time (still at times) wondering if it would happen again, and never want to go through it again.

Thanks for the tip on order sheets, since I don't use them I never look at them but will now sure will. Yikes!!! :wacko: world we live in that we even have to do any of this. And it does seem so futile, when there are inside jobs (like what happened to us at credit card company) or just sheer incompetence on part of the companies or their sub-contractors, or any of the other ways it can happen, so what good does it do for me to try so hard to be safe??? I know I will continue to work on it, but it bugs me that so much of our info is "out there" for people to grab and misuse. :angry::angry:

Take care folks, try to stay safe too.

Pat

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
Ya know... I've done my taxes on-line with H&R for several years. If I get a "Snail Mail" of that sort, I'm going to a laywer.....

JUST HOW STUPID CAN THESE COMPANIES BE?

In the cases they showed on the news they mailed a copy of Turbo Tax or Tax Cut software , packaged like an AOL CD with the recipients name and address and social security number on the front (Outside mailing label).

Therefore it could be read and copied by anyone in the postal service, anyone who went through your mail in the box, anyone at whatever subcontractor H&R used to send all this out , as well as anyone who moved into your old address and recieved it (I think they said the label said "or current occupant " so the post office wouldn't waste time trying to forward it).