"it's A Miracle!"

Anyone have a problem with the "It's a miracle" "praise the lord" type of "news" reporting that CNN did last night when they once again speculated on the facts and got the story ass backwards about the mining tragedy in W. Virginia?

Edited by irregularjoe

I do, the poor family members waiting there suffering twice because people say things before they verify the facts. Our local newspaper came out with that kind of headline but by the time most people read the paper the truth was already out.. People are so impatient to get the news out to the world that they no longer wait long enough to verify the truth.

it's sad but that is typical CNN journalism...if you watch FOXNEWS you will constantly see breaking news that is 12 hours old. byran gumball saw 2 more planes at the world trade center that no one else saw. BIG BUCKS

well i watched cnn all that night and all i saw was them reporting on what was happening...the "its a miracle...and praise the lord" stuff was from the victims' families and the governor..which became the story being reported...

now... i'm no fan of saturation sensationalized coverage of tradgedies...but they are as much a part of life as talk radio has become...which is why i never watch fox...and why i tune cnn out when they cross the line...

the real story here i believe is why the mine officials allowed a completly inaccurate rumor to circulate for so long...which they now admit was a mistake...why this mine was operating with so many violations...and did that have anything to do with the explosion that killed these folks...???

Edited by screi
well i watched cnn all that night and all i saw was them reporting on what was happening...the "its a miracle...and praise the lord" stuff was from the victims' families and the governor..which became the story being reported...

now... i'm no fan of saturation sensationalized coverage of tradgedies...but they are as much a part of life as talk radio has become...which is why i never watch fox...and why i tune cnn out when they cross the line...

the real story here i believe is why the mine officials allowed a completly inaccurate rumor to circulate for so long...which they now admit was a mistake...why this mine was operating with so many violations...and did that have anything to do with the explosion that killed these folks...???

I agree.

However, the job of the news network and reporter is to sift out the bs BEFORE they publish it.

I agree.

However, the job of the news network and reporter is to sift out the bs BEFORE they publish it.

we apparently did not see the same coverage...i was watching a live broadcast in which a number of people came up to a reporter and told him that they were told by "someone" that 12 were alive...the reporter asked a number of times who made that statement...asked if it was the Gov...or a mine officiall..no one knew...

over the next 3 hours or so...the reporter made reference to the fact that they had not received any "official" confirmation...in fact at one point said that he thought it was "odd" that it was taking so long for any mine official or the Gov to make any statement(especially if it was such good news)...and lamented that none of the cnn staff could reach any official..and clearly stated a number of time that the information that there were "12 alive" only came from the victims families at the church...this was all live reporting..on scene as it happened..(i was beginning to question the 12 alive report at this point)

even later when Cooper was talking to the emergency room doctor about the one who was removed from the mine..he was trying to get more info about the status of the remaining miners..the doc said that she had NO contact with anyone at the mine....i knew then that what i was beginning to believe(that something was not right about the 12 alive report) was probably true...and shortly after that was when cooper was interupted by a woman and her two children...who reported that the families were told by the mine officials that only one had survived...

cnn's coverage was clearly not some edited.. patched together video sound bite compilation you get so often...and yes there were awkward moments during the long hours of waiting for info...and yes the emotions of hope and despair were painfull to watch.. but i do not believe that cnn's coverage deserves to be vilified...

you can however...conclude that live news coverage is subject to.. and might fall victum to.. misrepresentaions...misinterpretations and rumor...and can provde a powerful view of human nature/behavior when people are under stress....

I agree.

we apparently did not see the same coverage...i was watching a live broadcast in which a number of people came up to a reporter and told him that they were told by "someone" that 12 were alive...the reporter asked a number of times who made that statement...asked if it was the Gov...or a mine officiall..no one knew...

over the next 3 hours or so...the reporter made reference to the fact that they had not received any "official" confirmation...in fact at one point said that he thought it was "odd" that it was taking so long for any mine official or the Gov to make any statement(especially if it was such good news)...and lamented that none of the cnn staff could reach any official..and clearly stated a number of time that the information that there were "12 alive" only came from the victims families at the church...this was all live reporting..on scene as it happened..(i was beginning to question the 12 alive report at this point)

even later when Cooper was talking to the emergency room doctor about the one who was removed from the mine..he was trying to get more info about the status of the remaining miners..the doc said that she had NO contact with anyone at the mine....i knew then that what i was beginning to believe(that something was not right about the 12 alive report) was probably true...and shortly after that was when cooper was interupted by a woman and her two children...who reported that the families were told by the mine officials that only one had survived...

cnn's coverage was clearly not some edited.. patched together video sound bite compilation you get so often...and yes there were awkward moments during the long hours of waiting for info...and yes the emotions of hope and despair were painfull to watch.. but i do not believe that cnn's coverage deserves to be vilified...

you can however...conclude that live news coverage is subject to.. and might fall victum to.. misrepresentaions...misinterpretations and rumor...and can provde a powerful view of human nature/behavior when people are under stress....

As far as I know, there's only one CNN report.

So I suspect that we indeed see the same one.

My point is that maybe they should NOT have been "reporting" every on the spot coverage of anyone that ran up to them and recanted the latest rumor as fact. Because obviously it wasn't.

It makes good Jerry Springer type shock news, but it's not responsible reporting.

Ok your wrong there. It was not the mining officals that started the rumor in the first place. After the rumor got started the reason it took three hours to corret it was because the mining officals was making sure that the facts where right. Also citations and violations are given out out the ass to these mines. It's amasing that they can even operate. Exmaple: If there is a stack of flammable things in just sitting around they the mine is written up. Or when the inspector is there and a miner is standing in a spot they souldn't be then that's written down. Then alot of them don't even deal with the mine, it deals with their trucks and things. Like if a coal truck has a light out the DOH wirtes them up and it goes on the mine's safety record and is a "violation" of the mine.

the mining officials knew 20 minutes after the first report of 12 alive came FROM the rescue team that they had only one survivor...they also knew that the celebration at the church was happenning....to let that continue even though they did not have all the details...was unconsionable...which they admitted the next day...they could have at least tempered the euphoric celabration with a cautionary message to these folks...

there seems to be a feeling amoung some here that the media started the rumor...it did not...and blaming the media for it would be like blaming the cell phones used to spread it...

the reports i've seen reported seem to indicate that the violations that might be relavent to this event were concerning unsafe levels of coal dust and debris...and some fire safety violations...??

..hardly trivial considering the explosion and resulting deaths...

Times report on the story

Edited by screi

"It makes good Jerry Springer type shock news, but it's not responsible reporting."

the difference here joe...as i see it...is springer is a staged, scripted event...produced for a target audience...(of which i am not a member..thank you)

cnn's mine coverage was reporting on a real...ongoing event/tragedy...involving real people and gut wrenching drama

make your own call on how relevant it was to you...i found it compelling enough to watch...and i believe that cnn presented an accurate view of the events...albiet confused and chaotic..it was how and what happened that night..

Edited by screi