My Eyes Hurt! Crt Vs Lcd Opinions Needed.

Ok so I'm getting old and lately have noticed that I don't see like I used to.After a few hours on the computer I am getting headaches and my glasses don't seem to work anymore. I am thinking eye strain. So.....could a few of you that have or do use BOTH give me some advice as to whether a flat panel LCD would be easier on my eyes? Not looking for brands or links,just opinions based on your experience. Bear in mind that I am NOT a gamer,so don't factor that in.

I've also posted this on the CFH board but don't expect much from that area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

An LCD using DVI would be much better on the eyes. Get a 17"-19" LCD and set it to 800 x 600. Your eyes will thank you. My CRT starts bugging my eyes after a few hours no matter what I set the contrast to. I have it running at 800 x 600 with the fonts set to Largest. Be sure to read the reviews of LCD monitors. There is a lot of cheap crap out there. I should add you will need a video card with DVI out to work with the LCD monitor. Analog just doesn't cut it.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

an anti glare screen on a CRT should help. I'm 17 and have glasses and after say 7-8 hours I might start having problems. I've also heard that with glasses eyestrain is worse, I THINK, I'm not sure on that one. Personnally i don't like LCD, and they too can cause strain I'd think cause it's like staring at a light ( cause of the back light). Something I have read says for proper eye health you should take a break every 30 minutes or so. I take breaks from looking at my screen from time to time.

P.S.The worst eye strain is starting Battlefield 1942 when after the opening video there is a bright white screen that comes up displaying copyright info and that HURTS.

I agree with the LCD recommendation.

Even with the refresh rate set as high as possible, a CRT flickers.

You might not perceive/see it but that flickering can cause eye strain.

And CRTs can lose focus with time adding to the strain.

With an LCD there's no ficker, and no chance of the guns losing alignment or focus.

Ok so I'm getting old and lately have noticed that I don't see like I used to.After a few hours on the computer I am getting headaches and my glasses don't seem to work anymore. I am thinking eye strain. So.....could a few of you that have or do use BOTH give me some advice as to whether a flat panel LCD would be easier on my eyes? Not looking for brands or links,just opinions based on your experience. Bear in mind that I am NOT a gamer,so don't factor that in.

I've also posted this on the CFH board but don't expect much from that area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

85% of PC users have there CRT screen too bright you might try adjusting it also your refresh rate maybe too low. I find anything below 75mhz gives me a headache mine is set at 85mhz. If it can support it set it higher. Most modern PC support upto 85Mhz. I know people who get seizures at 60mhz.

Preston

Thanks for all of the advice. Part of my problem is that I have a neurological disease that causes my eyelids to droop a bit and I have to make an effort to see things that are not brightly lit.

Got some stuff going up on ebay soon that just might buy me a new monitor.We shall see.

Oh,and you people are great!

I switched from a CRT to a Dell LCD (since I have a Dell) 17in, and it definately is clearer.

The text is sharper. I got a DVI graphic card also.

Since you are not a gamer, you don't need an expensive graphic card, just one that has DVI

outlet. Check Newegg for card.

Barb

Ok so I'm getting old and lately have noticed that I don't see like I used to.After a few hours on the computer I am getting headaches and my glasses don't seem to work anymore. I am thinking eye strain. So.....could a few of you that have or do use BOTH give me some advice as to whether a flat panel LCD would be easier on my eyes?

I have a 19" NEC Multisync 97F and I just toggle (CTRL + Mouse Wheel ) to get bigger fonts. I had that for 3 yrs and then I got this http://www.pixpond.com/1/os2as.jpg LCD about 3 months ago and this is LESS eye strain then the analog. But the analog really wasn't that bad..I think anything you stare at for anymore then a few hrs is gonna strain the ole eyeballs no matter what..I don't hardly game either and I bought my GeForce FX5500 vid card for the DVI-Svideo output..and an eye check up couldn't hurt either ;O) http://www.pixpond.com/1/2h7j7.jpg

Edited by kidcnote