okay when i went to one of my family members house me and my papa got to talking about computers since he is from the cia and use to work for them and such well there house burned up really bad and he lost 1600 dollars of software on his computer and also the computer.I'm no good at computer buying so i would like to know what could be the best broadband cannotion for him he only going to be sharing photos search the web talk to people and run software and such, also whats a good computer under 1100 for him something to do basic stuff but with enough ram and gb

any help will be greatly appreciated

okay when i went to one of my family members house me and my papa got to talking about computers since he is from the cia and use to work for them and such well there house burned up really bad and he lost 1600 dollars of software on his computer and also the computer.I'm no good at computer buying so i would like to know what could be the best broadband cannotion for him he only going to be sharing photos search the web talk to people and run software and such, also whats a good computer under 1100 for him something to do basic stuff but with enough ram and gb

any help will be greatly appreciated

The basic Dell PC would be good enough to do what he wanted. I would get at least 512 MB of Ram. What is available for internet service in his neighborhood? Cable is usually a little faster then DSL but if the speed isn't the worry, I would just get DSL as it is usually a little cheaper. If he has cable, and there are a lot of people who subscribe to their internet service in his area, it will slow down at peak times when a lot of people are using it. If he has cable, sometimes you can get a deal with them on internet service because you have cable with them. Phone calls are FREE to check on what is available and so is the internet. You don't have this problem with DSL. I have 1.5 and it is great. They also offer 3.0 and 5.0. I was on dialup for about 14 years and the 1.5 DSL is just great for me.

Edited by MrBill

Ill second that, however don't limit your search to just dells. Although they are a good computer for the money there are deals out there that give you more bang for the buck cheak out tigerdirect.com, ebay(watch for scams all that, and read EVERYTHING.), new egg, sometimes ive found good deals on yahoo shopping as well. Good hunting ill let you know if i spot anything worth cheaking out.

I'll third it. A basic emachine will serve you very well for what you want to do.

Don't even think about an emachines

unless you need a toilet

no offense to Emachines users

I own several emachines a couple are modified but one is stock I have yet to have one quit that I did not destroy in my PC infancy. I even had one catch fully on fire, I put it out tore out the offending PS and worked great. Emachines are not for everyone but they are not the junk that many people label them to be.

Ever commercial brand has bad ones get out the door and someone will get it but if you find one Counterfeit dollar bill does that mean all dollar bills are counterfeit. I was soured on Compaq for years because of one bad experience yet I have a Compaq Laptop today that has worked wonderful. I know many people who work for Dell (my office is a few blocks away in Nashville) and just from what they tell me tons are return daily for component failure I have no doubt this happens with all the major players emachine included. I respect your opinion I'm sure you have documented proof of why your statement is true but I have a track record that tells me the same anbout mine.

Disclaimer: This was just an attempt to stimulate good intelligent conversation not a flame war anyone that take offense to statements assume full responsibility for their own aggravation, I accept not responsibility be it whole or in part.

Preston