Help Choosing Between Dell Pcs

I'm helping a friend buy a computer. He doesn't want to build one, he would rather buy one from Dell. He just needs one for the normal day-to- day things and alittle bit of gaming (Example: Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Age of Empires III). Here is my question: How decent are the Dell Dimension B110, Dimension E310, or Dimension E510.

Dell Dimension B110

Dell Dimension E310

Dell Dimension E510

Here is my problem:

The B110 only has a Intel Celeron CPU, but comes with a 15-inch Flat Panel Monitor.

The E310 has a Pentium 4, but doesn't have a PCI-Express Slot like the E510.

The E510 has a PCIe Slot, but the monitor costs additional $200 or so.

So which would be the best. He would like to spend as less as possible, I know those don't go together. Thank you and I mean thank you for reading all of this and looking at the links and such. Thanks.

About the only thing I can contribute is that (in my opinion!) a fancy flatpanel monitor isn't necessary. Sure, looks cool on the desk, but from what I've seen, there isn't much, if any difference in picture quality.

Also, I would recommend that your friend spend an extra $20 and add "an old fashioned floppy drive if he is still in school. We did that and both kids have used it A LOT for school stuff.

When BT's was down, I asked a similar question to yours at Drew's World--many of the same great helpers that we have here at BTs help there, too. There might be some info there that can help you decide (although it was mainly regarding Celeron vs Pentium Processors)

Here!

Liz

About the only thing I can contribute is that (in my opinion!) a fancy flatpanel monitor isn't necessary. Sure, looks cool on the desk, but from what I've seen, there isn't much, if any difference in picture quality.

Well, he sort of needs a new monitor. His is slowly dieing. That is why I was looking at Dell's because most of their systems comes with a good deal including a monitor.

B110 will be crap for gaming. PCI slots greatly limit video card options.

E310 only has PCI and a x1 PCI-Express slot (so no PCI-Express video cards will be compatible). Same problem as above.

E510 is workable, but you're going to have to add a video card after purchase. Everything Dell offers with it is trash.

The eMachines looks pretty decent. You're still going to need a video card after purchase. Here is a CNet review.

Edited by Aluvus