Wanting To Upgrade My Power Supply.

ok , i got new ram for christmas and this 1gb is running amazing. now i plan on buying this(EDIT: i just clicked the link and it said it is no longer available for sale, so now i have to search for another one. arrgh. ) with the money i got but i am also needing to upgrade my power supply to run this beast, now i have a "generic" 250W suppy and i want to upgrade to 400W. i saw soem one newegg for like, 15-25 bucks, pretty cheap no money is not a option, but im not sure which one to get, are there special specs that need to be compatable with the rest of my comp on the PS? i see all these number and volts and im not sure what they mean...or could i just buy any PS and i will work...by the way i have a HP Pavillion a320n. thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Edited by GrundleLove
ok , i got new ram for christmas and this 1gb is running amazing. now i plan on buying this(EDIT: i just clicked the link and it said it is no longer available for sale, so now i have to search for another one. arrgh. ) with the money i got but i am also needing to upgrade my power supply to run this beast, now i have a "generic" 250W suppy and i want to upgrade to 350W. i saw soem one newegg for like, 15-25 bucks, pretty cheap no money is not a option, but im not sure which one to get, are there special specs that need to be compatable with the rest of my comp on the PS? i see all these number and volts and im not sure what they mean...or could i just buy any PS and i will work...by the way i have a HP Pavillion a320n. thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Here is one place you can take a look at. I have ordered one from here myself. Good place and good power supplies. Scroll down until you see your model. Don't get a cheap one, as others here will tell you.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/pow...r/hp-compaq.htm

There are other places, I just know about this one.

Barb :D

Any standard ATX power supply should be compatible.

Do not under any circumstances buy the $20 clunkers. If it costs less than $40 and claims to be more than 300 W, it's almost always a lie.

It's more important to buy a high-quality supply than a high-wattage supply.

Good and cheap is a rare combination.

Do not under any circumstances buy the $20 clunkers. If it costs less than $40 and claims to be more than 300 W, it's almost always a lie.

Amen - I trust Aspire, Cooler Master, Thermaltake, and a handful more - don't get cheated on a crappy power supply

On the show Call for Help - Leo talked about how cheapy Taiwanese power supply companies will produce about 1000 PSU's and then test to find one rated at 300W so they can sell them all rated for 300.

So stick with brand names. By the way, what type of RAM did you get?

Amen - I trust Aspire, Cooler Master, Thermaltake, and a handful more - don't get cheated on a crappy power supply

On the show Call for Help - Leo talked about how cheapy Taiwanese power supply companies will produce about 1000 PSU's and then test to find one rated at 300W so they can sell them all rated for 300.

So stick with brand names. By the way, what type of RAM did you get?

how is this one? seems reasonable (i know nothing about power supplies) ...oh and i got 2x512mb Kingston mem. i love it, only problem is i am only reading 960mb :huh: but it it running great, thank you for all your help, that first site with all the comp names and it even has mine! so i know exactually what the specs need to be to get a diff brand, which is very help full....and more suggestions would be great, thank you...oh, i almost forgot, anyhting under 50$ would be great because i got one of those visa debit cards and i dont care what i spend it on, so as soon as i get a definitive PS i will purchase it probably today, then get another card with 220$ on it to get my 6800 :D

Edited by GrundleLove
i am also needing to upgrade my power supply to run this beast, now i have a "generic" 250W suppy and i want to upgrade to 400W. i saw soem one newegg for like, 15-25 bucks, pretty cheap no money is not a option, but im not sure which one to get, are there special specs that need to be compatable with the rest of my comp on the PS? i see all these number and volts and im not sure what they mean...or could i just buy any PS and i will work...by the way i have a HP Pavillion a320n. thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

www.911ForPCs.com

60-Day Money back Satisfaction Guaranteed

No Restocking Fee

Full One yr Same day product replacement

Free Shipping

how is this one? seems reasonable (i know nothing about power supplies) ...oh and i got 2x512mb Kingston mem. i love it, only problem is i am only reading 960mb :huh: but it it running great, thank you for all your help, that first site with all the comp names and it even has mine! so i know exactually what the specs need to be to get a diff brand, which is very help full....and more suggestions would be great, thank you...oh, i almost forgot, anyhting under 50$ would be great because i got one of those visa debit cards and i dont care what i spend it on, so as soon as i get a definitive PS i will purchase it probably today, then get another card with 220$ on it to get my 6800 :D

That supply should be just fine. Fortron is a very good brand.

If you are currently using integrated video, that would explain the discrepancy in your RAM.

www.911ForPCs.com

60-Day Money back Satisfaction Guaranteed

No Restocking Fee

Full One yr Same day product replacement

Free Shipping

Difficult to navigate, no selection, and some prices are almost twice Newegg's.

No thanks.

That supply should be just fine. Fortron is a very good brand.

If you are currently using integrated video, that would explain the discrepancy in your RAM.

yes i am using intergrades graphics, but other games i own work fine, its just Valve games. but, i dont care, as soon as i get that card and PS battlefeild 2 and Fear are my games of choice, thanks. i will put the order in today, i hope its compatable :blush:

No, he meant the dissaperance of some of your RAM is because your onboard video is sharing it. 2x512 Ram is 1024 - and since it is reading 960 your onboard video is stealing 64MB of RAM. That is one of the benefits of an additional video card.

I would recommend a 6800GS video card - I got a eVGA one, they are awesome and they are down to around $195 now

No, he meant the dissaperance of some of your RAM is because your onboard video is sharing it. 2x512 Ram is 1024 - and since it is reading 960 your onboard video is stealing 64MB of RAM. That is one of the benefits of an additional video card.

I would recommend a 6800GS video card - I got a eVGA one, they are awesome and they are down to around $195 now

i am currently hacking THE MOST DIFFFICULT TIME trying to find a 6800, i found a 6800 OC on tiger direct for 194$, and i think that is the one i want, i am not sure what a 6800 GS is, or if it is AGP compatable, post replies or PM me about it. thank you. best techie has helped me so much, its amazing

i am currently hacking THE MOST DIFFFICULT TIME trying to find a 6800, i found a 6800 OC on tiger direct for 194$, and i think that is the one i want, i am not sure what a 6800 GS is, or if it is AGP compatable, post replies or PM me about it. thank you. best techie has helped me so much, its amazing

I would suggest shopping at Newegg. Their video card section lets you filter by GPU, AGP or PCI-Express, and so forth. It's a much nicer interface than Tiger Direct's. Their prices are also usually better, especially once you factor in shipping.

The exception would be if you're outside the US, in which case your options would be fairly limited.

AFAIK, the 6800GS is PCI-Express only.

Edited by Aluvus