Patch Problems May Force Users To Sp2

hmm i really dont know what to think anymore

I still havent upgraded and have been waiting for a while now but i dont have the need to because i dont wanna mess up my comp and have to reformat (even though the odds are pretty slim) and right now my comp is running great so i dont need sp2 slowing it down

(i've heard sp2 is a bit of a resource hog anyone vouch for this?)

I still think the update to Sp2 should be BY PERSONAL CHOICE

Hey, you do have a choice. You can either install SP2, or stop using Windows Update ;-)

what's sad is that M$ has always used tactics like this. especiall behind the sceens.

all you guys are always welcome to my side of the computing world.

Hey, you do have a choice. You can either install SP2, or stop using Windows Update ;-)

what's sad is that M$ has always used tactics like this. especiall behind the sceens.

all you guys are always welcome to my side of the computing world.

Yep, that's why I mostly use Linux and Mac OS X. On a side note I upgraded my work computer to SP2 without too many glitches. The only weird thing I noticed was that windows no longer sees that I have an anti-virus program on my hard drive. Norton AV still works just fine I just run it manually.

Eh, I can't really blame them. The alternative is fork Windows every time a major SP is released. Right now it sounds bad because there's only two choices, but what happens when SP3 and SP4 come along? When you consider that MS maintains four or five versions of Windows, a half-dozen editions of each version, and about five SPs for each edition....

[Edit: Anyone want to confirm that that works out to 2^n versions of each SP? It looks right to me, but I haven't had nearly enough sleep :-)]

Edited by jcl
Right now it sounds bad because there's only two choices, but what happens when SP3 and SP4 come along? When you consider that MS maintains four or five versions of Windows, a half-dozen editions of each version, and about five SPs for each edition....

Versions...XP is still v4.xxxxx

M$ has not come out with a "new" version of windows for forever.

M

Versions...XP is still v4.xxxxx

XP is NT 5.1 as I recall. The currently supported versions are 2k (NT 5), XP (NT 5.1), 2k3 (???), and embedded XP. NT 4 and embedded NT may still be supported, but they're not marketed.

On top of that, there are four editions of 2k (Pro, Server, Advanced Server, and Datacenter), six editions of XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, Tablet, 64-bit, and x64), and six editions of 2k3 (Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Web, Storage, and Small Business).

It's true the versions are very similar and the editions of each version are almost identical, but if there are differences at all they have to treated individually. Even if the Service Pack is identical across every system, it has to be tested with each.

Anyway, even if treat the whole product line as a single system, you still have to deal with all the possible combinations of Service Packs.