Compaq Presario Experts How Do You Open Front?

In addition to the reset button I would like to know how I can find out if this mobo will recognize a 100 gb hhd. My friend would like a second drive and I see a sale for a 100g seagate for $40 after rebate.

Anyone know if this mobo can accept a larger drive without updating the bios?

In addition to the reset button I would like to know how I can find out if this mobo will recognize a 100 gb hhd. My friend would like a second drive and I see a sale for a 100g seagate for $40 after rebate.

Anyone know if this mobo can accept a larger drive without updating the bios?

If it doesn't accept it anyway you have to update the BIOS

for teh most part as long as you are keeping the original HDD with the system it should recognize it. There is the possibility that you will have to flash the BIOS in order for it to recognize the higher capacity of the new HDD

for teh most part as long as you are keeping the original HDD with the system it should recognize it. There is the possibility that you will have to flash the BIOS in order for it to recognize the higher capacity of the new HDD

That's what I don't want ..... would I have to flash the bios if I got another 80 gb hhd?

New problem. The new case has arrived and I have started to take out the mobo from the 5330. The problem .... the mobo won't come out! :blink::wacko:

I've taken out all the screws. I found one under the clamp that hold the heat sink and fan on the cpu. I remove that, but it still won't come out. The bottom and the right side of the board is free, but something is holding the board near the cpu toward the top of the board and where the I/O stuff is in the back. I tried to see if I could slide the board away from the opening where the I/O is but something holds it! :unsure:

I can't get to the back of the board because compaq in their infinite wisdom rivet the left side case panel to the frame and case. You can't take that off. :o

There has to be some way to remove the board. If the mobo fail how would they replace it?

I'm dead in the water right now. I haven't a clue what is holding it down still. HELP! :wacko::blink:

That's what I don't want ..... would I have to flash the bios if I got another 80 gb hhd?

not sure if you would have to flash the bios for a new 80gig hdd or not.

New problem. The new case has arrived and I have started to take out the mobo from the 5330. The problem .... the mobo won't come out! :blink::wacko:

I've taken out all the screws. I found one under the clamp that hold the heat sink and fan on the cpu. I remove that, but it still won't come out. The bottom and the right side of the board is free, but something is holding the board near the cpu toward the top of the board and where the I/O stuff is in the back. I tried to see if I could slide the board away from the opening where the I/O is but something holds it! :unsure:

there is a possibility that there is a screw on the riveted side of the case. see below for more info on that, or they have those lovely little plastic holding brackets in place, which means you have to locate how they are placed in order to remove the mobo.

I can't get to the back of the board because compaq in their infinite wisdom rivet the left side case panel to the frame and case. You can't take that off. :o

There has to be some way to remove the board. If the mobo fail how would they replace it?

they drill out the rivets so they can access the left side. this way they can remove the mobo, replace it, then they put new rivets in place. which brings us to the fine print in the warranty section of their computers stating that you may get a refurbished computer, or you may lose all information on the hard drive.

Edited by Dragon

not sure if you would have to flash the bios for a new 80gig hdd or not.

there is a possibility that there is a screw on the riveted side of the case. see below for more info on that, or they have those lovely little plastic holding brackets in place, which means you have to locate how they are placed in order to remove the mobo.

they drill out the rivets so they can access the left side. this way they can remove the mobo, replace it, then they put new rivets in place. which brings us to the fine print in the warranty section of their computers stating that you may get a refurbished computer, or you may lose all information on the hard drive.

How could I lose all the infomation on the hhd if I put the mobo in another case?

Pulling the rivets won't make a difference. The side panel case and frame are all one part. There is nothing to pull apart. There are rivets near the I/O but I can't tell it that is what is hold the mobo down. :blink:

your reading too much into what I said.

which brings us to the fine print in the warranty section of their computers stating that you may get a refurbished computer, or you may lose all information on the hard drive.

also as stated before, soemtimes the mobo drivers need the chasis. if the mobo is riveted to the chasis, then it is integrated electrically to the chasis, which means your hard drive may not work in the new case requiring you to wipe the harddrive and start fresh or worse the mobo wont' work in another case at all. sometimes the mobo and chasis are integrated into the BIOS system, to prevent stolen computers from being parted out and used in other computers.

Edited by Dragon
your reading too much into what I said.
which brings us to the fine print in the warranty section of their computers stating that you may get a refurbished computer, or you may lose all information on the hard drive.

also as stated before, soemtimes the mobo drivers need the chasis. if the mobo is riveted to the chasis, then it is integrated electrically to the chasis, which means your hard drive may not work in the new case requireing you to wipe the harddrive and start fresh sometimes the mobo and chasis are integrated into the BIOS system, to prevent stolen computers from being parted out and used in other computers.

Oh my I didn't know that. Well that does it. I can't use this case. I have no choice but to order a micro atx ps and hope it will be enough power to run the new stuff.

Thank you for your time.

since you have the case, you could always look at making yourself a new computer. then you have a second one if you need it for anything. or you could sell it for a little profit.

As much as I would love to build a new computer I can't afford to ..... I will have to save the case for when I can or sell it on ebay.

Thank you for your time. You have been very helpful :thumbsup:

get the parts whenever you can, its not like you would have to have it done by next week afterall.

and if you do decide to sell the case, get a hold of me, if the price is right I might take it off your hands. :)

What model number is the current computer???

I thought you said in an earlier post it was a 5330 is this correct???

If it is then that PS isn't the correct one for that computer.

that computer originally came with a 145W PS. so if you go any higher it might be too much for the mobo.

Edited by Dragon
What model number is the current computer???

I thought you said in an earlier post it was a 5330 is this correct???

If it is then that PS isn't the correct one for that computer.

that computer originally came with a 145W PS. so if you go any higher it might be too much for the mobo.

Yes it is the 5330US ..... the original p/s was 250Watts. I didn't know that about the mobo. But what about the part the machine is running accorrding to the power caculator his machine needs over 345 watts to run what he wants.

Are you saying I should replace it with the same p/s? What about the power requirement to run the system? My friend wants a dvd burn added a second hhd, and more memory. Is 250 watts going to be able to handle that?

I see now that I got the number mixed up. The site has 5303 not 30 ..... my mistake so disreguard the above link.

Anyway I can find out if the mobo can go higher than 250watts? If it can will someone help me find a replacement p/s that is at least 350 watts that will fit in this machine?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by spirittoo

This thread will be gold for anyone with the machine ..... :D

Just finish chatting with compaq tech. According to him the mobo will not accept a higher watt supply, but it will handle all the extra componets I am adding on.

I thought the machine p/s would need at least 350 watts but the tech sadi no, so there you are.

Solution to problem .... buy replacement ... do upgrades .... see what happens.

Thanks for your time. :thumbsup: