How Hard Will It Be Too...

Learning C++ is always difficult. It is in its full glory is one of the most complex programming languages in history. Java and C++ have little in common except some syntax and support for procedural OOP.

Edited by jcl

Dont give up on this, Fubz! You're bright (your website proves that) and best of all, you're young enough to understand this techno gobbly goop!

Son is taking a C++ class in college, and even though he checks some of his projects with the experts here, he has done well so far, and enjoys it.

I asked him about your question, and he said "oh, C++ is very do-able", the book he uses is great. Its called, "C How to Program" by Deitel books. There are a whole series of them (Python How to, Java..., XML..., etc) and his book comes with a CD called "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Introductory Edition" On the cover, it says it covers C Procedural Programming, C++ Object Oriented Programming and Java Object Oriented Programming (don't ask me what this stuff is....Macmarauder told me C++ is a computer language I need not understand, and that is good enough for me!)

If there is a college nearby, it is likely at the college bookstore, or if your local library is big enough (or if it is in a cooperative with many libraries so you can order it) the library might have it, too.

Buckwheat88 (son/Aron) was going to tell you about this tomorrow (he is in bed now) but your last post sounded discouraging, so I jumped in for him! :) That's what moms do :)

You can do this!

Liz

I asked him about your question, and he said "oh, C++ is very do-able", the book he uses is great.

He's still in the shallows of the language if I'm not mistaken. It is very deep. The kind of language that you study for years to master.

But I don't want to discourage anyone (hah!). It's not increadibly difficult to get started and it's not absolutely necessary to learn everything. There are a lot of successful C++ programmers who don't understand the entire language. (Not coincidentally, Java and C# are pretty similar to the well-understood subset of the C++.)

Edited by jcl
  • 4 weeks later...
"C How to Program" by Deitel books.

forth edition.. great book, on eof teh few I understand what they are saying (better be good at $100)

also throw out the disk if you get it.. the VC++ is 6.0 and non ISO complient.. (there are sever examples in the book that will not compile with it)

any newer C++ (VC++.net example http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/ ) will work and can be downloaded for free from MS, but I perfer DEV_c++ http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html for windows (wx version has a form maker like a good windows IDE, I guess http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/ )

but mostly stick to gcc (maybe not the best but works on every platform I use , windows,Linux, BSD, Apple, Solaris).

good luck

Edited by iccaros