Here we go - my final draft of my future home PC for video work, photo work, "backing up DVD's," minor gaming, and such

MOBO - $122

ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU - $322

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail

RAM - $215

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail

HDD - $97

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CASE - $69

Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BWS Black Steel/Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

VIDEO CARD - $155

MSI RX800-TD256E Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

PSU - $30

ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail

DVD BURNER - $40

NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model ND-3550A - OEM

DVD ROM - $30

LITE-ON Black IDE Combo Drive Model SOHC-5236V BK RTL - Retail

Other

OS - $88

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM

HDD Cooler - $4

MASSCOOL 4B02S4 Hard Disk Cooler - Retail

Okay, with shipping and minus the rebates, this comes out to a whopping total of...

$1216.35

Edited by xxkbxx

If you get a crossfire mobo you can use 2 ATI cards but if you get an nVidia card that can allow you to upgrade to a second one later with that SLI board. not to sound mean or anything but i have yet to figure out why people keep getting SLI boards and put an ATI card in them. you can only use 1 card making the sli function useless.

I would not get the SLI motherboard get THIS I have the same board and it will save you some money.

Okay, I read that it DOES support AMD X2's, which is a must, but it doesn't have FireWire or SATA2, so I might stay with the ASUS

But, what do you think about the Video Card, that is the one topic that I'm not too educated on

I just need something good enough to last for a while (won't be OC'ed, but will be used for a little gaming) and around the $150 range

how do this sound?

PNY VCG68128XWB Geforce 6800 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133155

$160 after rebate

Edited by xxkbxx
That video card is good I have the same card I can play HL2, F.E.A.R, Doom 3, Quake 4 the only problem I have had is the card will over heat with Doom 3, and Quake so you might want to get a better cooling system for the video card.

I don't see myself (or my parents for that matter) playing Quake or Doom

I'll probably play BF2 or Call of Duty

I just saw that with XP Home there's a Combo deal for a Leadtek PX6800TDH Geforce 6800 256MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail at $189, ($20 off regular price)

Is that any good, or is it unneccesary for my needs

Edited by xxkbxx

The thing is I'm leaving the PC with my parents when I go off to college and they wanted something reliable to last them over the years. I want something to use this year, I do a good deal of multitasking for work with the Adobe Pagemaker/InDesign while running Photoshop simultaneously.

What's your thoughts between the Leadtek and PNY, I've never heard of Leadtek, and the only difference I found was the PNY has 128MB 256-bit GDDR3, while the Leadtek is 256MB 256-bit DDR. However, I think price might override getting the PNY for $30 cheaper

Ok, sounds good enough. I'm just going to check newegg 1 more time for anymore deals on video cards

If I see something good I'll post it up

Also, my Dad just asked if Newegg will ship everything at once, or separatly, just wondering if you knew

Updated -

eVGA 128-P2-N368-TX Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail for $125

and

XFX PVT43GNDF3 Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail for $130

Anything worth jumping on? (I promise I'll stop bothering you soon)

Edited by xxkbxx

personally i like nVidia. and brand cards i like eVGA. they are solid made good warranties and the step-up program is cool too. top end ATI usually only out performs nVidia in Half-Life 2 in the benchmarks. sometimes in UT2K4 too. but when were talking 7800GTX 512 vs Radeon1800XT in half-life2 nVidia wins in higher resolutions like 1600x1200 with 4x anti-aliasing but only when not in SLI and against only 1 Radeon. with crossfire enabled they are better i think. SLI 7800GTX 512's demolish ATI in just about everythin else. but it don't seem like you are that hardcore about games or even have the cash (1 7800GTX 512 is $750 on newegg). the 6 series seems more like your cup of tee. nothing lower than a 6600GT. I run BF2 in medium no probs with my AGP one. HL2 automatically presets to high (though that is not the highest. a 7800GT would probably be the best in affordability and playin games on into the future. and i mean GT not GTX. even regular GTX's are expensive.

P.S. sry for the long post. i tend to write too much every once in a while.

personally i like nVidia. and brand cards i like eVGA. they are solid made good warranties and the step-up program is cool too. top end ATI usually only out performs nVidia in Half-Life 2 in the benchmarks. sometimes in UT2K4 too. but when were talking 7800GTX 512 vs Radeon1800XT in half-life2 nVidia wins in higher resolutions like 1600x1200 with 4x anti-aliasing but only when not in SLI and against only 1 Radeon. with crossfire enabled they are better i think. SLI 7800GTX 512's demolish ATI in just about everythin else. but it don't seem like you are that hardcore about games or even have the cash (1 7800GTX 512 is $750 on newegg). the 6 series seems more like your cup of tee. nothing lower than a 6600GT. I run BF2 in medium no probs with my AGP one. HL2 automatically presets to high (though that is not the highest. a 7800GT would probably be the best in affordability and playin games on into the future. and i mean GT not GTX. even regular GTX's are expensive.

P.S. sry for the long post. i tend to write too much every once in a while.

With my 1800XT I can play HL2 on 1600x200 8x anti-aliasing, and Doom 3 with 2x AA.

i'm sure you can but what frame rates do you get with AA turned up.

I can turn mine up to that too but it'd run so bad it'd be unbearable.

at the settings i have set it usually stays around 40-55 and sometimes shoots to 80-120 especially in indoors areas.

also xxkbxx if you play half-life 2 or most other games for that matter use bilinear filtering on a 6600GT for best results (except in medal of honor allied assaultt max that s.o.b. except shadows, oddly enough if you turn it past simple the game plays like crap)

Edited by Honda_Boy