Ok, I feel like an idiot for ignoring one of the first steps to troubleshooting an connectivity problem.

Stop anti-virus/Firewall or any other program which can mess with connectivity. Well I didnt know he had norton internet security, but I should have asked instead of spending 1 hour fixing his computer.

Ok, It was weird I went to the command prompt, and checked that it said he had an ip address/gateway/subnet mask which he did. Then I went to "network connections" and it said the connection was "connected". So I was wondering why wasnt the internet working properly.

Well I had to re-configure the modem, b/c he had pressed the "restart" button, but I couldnt even get into the GUI, which was really weird.

After an hour of looking/trying/messing with stuff I saw Norton's little Task Bar icon, I disabled it for 5 minutes and what do you know. I was able to re-configure the modem, and he was able to access the internet.

My question is has any one else had this issue? If so How do i keep norton running (norton internet), and keep the internet access up, because I am sure he doesnt want norton disabled. I would have looked and played with norton but it was 12 in the morning.

If Norton was blocking a connection there's an incorrect setting in there, so I'd guess you'll have to spend some time looking at the options and settings. Specifically the Firewall. Another option if he has the install available is to reinstall it, it should detect the correct settings for you.