Sears 15% Restocking Fee

I saw this in my Oregonian today but their online site didn't have it, so Googled for it from another paper for you folks.

Philadelphia Inquirer

This 15% restocking fee starts tomorrow, for various electronics, home appliances, tools, lawn and garden, and automotive merchandise depending on certain circumstances as outlined in linked article (which my paper didn't include and how many others didn't either?)

Anyhow it may be the final straw for those of us who still try to shop at Sears. I know I haven't been to happy with the changes in the past couple of years, especially the nearly non-existent sales force and one or two check stands per floor of the store!!! So perhaps Sears is shooting itself in the foot with this new fee? So will KMart start doing this too? (same outfit now.) Sure a good way to make people go elsewhere when the return policy becomes so unfriendly!!!

I noticed they are doing this just before the Christmas shopping starts up. Hmmm!!

Day after Christmas returns might get real interesting, especially for people who don't usually shop there but got a gift they didn't want and find a 15% fee to return it. Not a great idea to win friends and shoppers in what is looking like a tough sales time due to all the high prices people are going to be paying for heating home and gasoline so they may not be doing much holiday buying in first place. Oh well Sears doesn't seem to care, or else they would have postponed this fee.

Buyer beware as always.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

I saw this in my Oregonian today but their online site didn't have it, so Googled for it from another paper for you folks.

Philadelphia Inquirer

This 15% restocking fee starts tomorrow, for various electronics, home appliances, tools, lawn and garden, and automotive merchandise depending on certain circumstances as outlined in linked article (which my paper didn't include and how many others didn't either?)

Anyhow it may be the final straw for those of us who still try to shop at Sears. I know I haven't been to happy with the changes in the past couple of years, especially the nearly non-existent sales force and one or two check stands per floor of the store!!! So perhaps Sears is shooting itself in the foot with this new fee? So will KMart start doing this too? (same outfit now.) Sure a good way to make people go elsewhere when the return policy becomes so unfriendly!!!

I noticed they are doing this just before the Christmas shopping starts up. Hmmm!!

Day after Christmas returns might get real interesting, especially for people who don't usually shop there but got a gift they didn't want and find a 15% fee to return it.  Not a great idea to win friends and shoppers in what is looking like a tough sales time due to all the high prices people are going to be paying for heating home and gasoline so they may not be doing much holiday buying in first place. Oh well Sears doesn't seem to care, or else they would have postponed this fee.

Buyer beware as always.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, thanks for the heads up, Pat! My wife and I frequently shop at Sears.

He said Sears would not charge the fee for items that have not been opened and can be resold as new. Brathwaite said a fee would be assessed if, for instance, the returned item is missing a part or a manual, or it is not in its original box.

He also said store managers could use their discretion on the restocking fees, but most return situations would be "cut and dry."

Harris Nesbitt Corp. analyst Richard Weinhart said retailers had implemented restocking fees because repackaging products and reselling them at a discount had cut into profit margins.

I don't have a problem with this. Open everything carefully and dont lose anything and youll be alright.

Thanks for the link though. Like you said, that's something to think about whole christmas shopping.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Having been a Sears customer for ages and ages, and an employee years ago for years and years, I assume their "Let me talk to a manager" policy would still be a potential way around this -- Though I too have noticed the negative changes at Sears so this may no longer be your "ultimate" threat when you don't get what you want. I wonder if they ever advertise "Satisfaction Guaranteed" any more?

"Satisfaction Guaranteed" story: A customer brought in three five gallon containers of paint, all had been opened. "I don't like the way it covered," they said. The clerk noted that Sears never carried that brand of paint and said so. "Let me talk to a manager," the customer, who obviously knew where this was going, said. The manager told the clerk to make up a price and refund their money.

"On the other hand ... " story: A customer had his entire house done with wall-to-wall carpet from Sears, however he refused to pay stating he wasn't satisfied with the installation, the color, the weave, or whatever bothered him that particular week. No amount of service calls satisfied the customer so Sears had the contractor rip out the carpet and they refunded the customer's deposit. The guy was stunned, "But, but, but ... " "Hey buddy, 'money back guarantee,' so thank you for shopping Sears, and good luck!" :lol:

I lost my last bit of hope for Sears recently when I needed a file cabinet. They had almost no office supplies, and no office furniture at all. What? I can't get a file cabinet at Sears any more? That's just crazy. On the other hand they did carry my clothing size. I'm a big guy and finding clothes in my size has been a challenge all my life. So if I want clothes, tools or large appliances, I'll still consider Sears, but since most merchandise is now hit-or-miss, Sears will be next-to-last on my list (Wal-Mart is dead-DEAD last). Which is a shame since the reason I was a loyal Sears customer for thirty-some-odd years is I always knew that whatever I wanted, I could find it at Sears. No more I guess. :(

Edited by JDoors

Bah! I quit shopping at Sears years ago. My problem started when I decided I needed snow tires for my beast of a Chevy. "yep, the man sez, we have them in stock, I'll get them down and have you on your way in a few minutes" HA! I looked at the catalog he was looking at and he was selling me the wrong size tires for my rims. (I was running 70 series, and he was about to mount 78's)

Other than the hand tools, with the lifetime guarentee, there is nothing there I can't buy cheaper elsewhere.

"Crapsman" is the joke now. The geeks here complain about propriatry computers with high priced replacement parts. I had a "craftsman" lawn mower. Briggs & Stratton engine. Good, huh? Wait a minute, B&S muffler, $3 at any hardware store. Sears propriatary B&S casting, $18 for a replacement.

Another friend bought the top of the line mower, and the extended service contract. Mowed the lawn twice before it broke. It was 8 weeks in the shop getiing fixed.... You know what the lawn looked like, don't you?

Sadly, I have had a bad Craftsman lawnmower experience. Twenty years ago I bought a cheap-0 "Murray." A few small repairs, but it lasted over fifteen years. When it finally crapped out I go buy a Craftsman. Man, what a beauty, all the features I ever wanted. It quit in the middle of the first job. I haul it to the repair joint, pick it up the next day, and it quit the first try. I haul it to the repair joint, pick it up and it quit the first try. <patience....> I haul it to the repair joint, pick it up and you guessed it, it quit the first try.

I hauled it to the nearest store, got my money back (felt sorry about the neighbor's dog poo on the wheels though!), swallowed my principles and bought a Honda.

God, I hate that thing. It has nothing good about it. It just sucks at everything. And the really bad part is I'll probably have to live with it forever 'cause it'll NEVER break down (the reason I bought it, nevermind the poor features and poorer performance). :angry:

Well, so others who havent shopped at Sears dont think it's a total bust. I like sears. The staff is always friendly, (well, the Auto care deparmtent atleast) mechanics are good, prices reasonable. I cant complain. Oh! DOnt forget the Sear GOld Card. Probably wouldnt have a running car w/o it :blush:

Edited by Bubba Bob