Reading Program For My 6 Year Old

I am supposed to help my 6 year old read( I struggle to do it). They send him home with books that he has learned the words in school. I noticed he just has the books memorized, he does not really read the words. So I made a little gui python app that uses the words he has learned, and mixes them up to make new sentences. Most of the code is mine, but someone gave me the code that actually makes a gui out of it. I am just amazed that just 9 lines of code using python could make this a gui app.

link to code

http://webpages.charter.net/lindbergfamily/read.pyw

Edited by shanenin

Now, Shanenin, you know I know nothing about what you posted, but my daughter is beating dyslexia, and I know whatever you created, your son will benefit and love what you have done!!! Good for you!! The more they read, the better they will get!

I also learned with Daughter, reading anything that will interest her helps. When she was little, I bought plenty of comic books (she loved XMen) and Goosebump books (your son is probably a bit young for them, but in a year or two....). Also, the internet (especially AIM) really got her reading! There are lots of sites geared for kids nowadays, and they have to read them to work them. Also, we played a game of reading roadsigns and restaurant signs when driving--now, a 3 year old can read a McDonald's sign, but love to hear a parent say, "see? you're reading!!"

We used a technique of reading, reading again, and reading out loud if something didn't make sense, before asking someone to read the "tricky passage" to her. To this day, I still occasionally hear her reading something out loud (and she's 22 years old ;) )

What a wonderful gift you created for your son.

Liz