I could not decide where to put this, but have you had a hard time preventing Kids or you Roomies/ inconsiderate In laws and family from installing P2P/ file sharing programs on Your PC. Try This:

File Sharing Sentinel

This will not take the place pummelling the crap out of them but it is less painful to the sensitive hand tissue and will at least aggravate them to some degree of what you feel when you tell them no and they do it anyway. I have personally not had any problems but over the years I have had many friends and posters that have. This will probably be no more than a nuisance or a inconvenience to many enterprising youths but may help for many.

Preston

Wow, Preston, what a great find!!! (and how I know about wondering where to post things....that's harder than describing a computer problem, isn't it?? ;) )

I'm passing that link on the Email Highway

Thanks,

Liz

I actually have no need for this program myself. I have a friend who doesn't know much about computers that could really use something like this. So I thought I would check it out for her. Oh, by the way, I don't a heck of a lot about computers either!! I downloaded from the link you gave. Everything seemed nice until I clicked on the "Start" button. The second I hit that button my cursor dissappeared. I am using Stardock's Cursor XP. Does anybody know where the connection to these 2 programs might be? The only way for me to get my cursor back was to boot into safe mode & uninstall "File Sharing Sentinal". Do you think it would of done this if I wasn't using Cursor XP? It really sounds like a good program, I just wish I could trust it.

P.S. While I was in safe mode I ran Spybot S&D. I found this. Smitfraud-C. It was in my temp. files. Never seen it before & Spybot usaully comes up clean.

Google up Stardocs.... Seems it does have some problems with other software.  I was cautioned against it a few years back when I found it to be a useless resouce hog of empty glitter.  Really, what use is it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree with this statment. I tried back when but everytime I installed a program it would mess up. I stopped the would beautifing stuff when I got fed up and got My wife her own PC so I could return to my spartan ways.

Preston

Just sharing my experience with StarDock: I tried it years ago with results similar to the previous posts. It ate up resources, caused occasional crashes and interferred with other programs (similar to what you're experiencing). Frankly, any program that alters the way Windows works has a lot of responsibility; It has to do what it says it'll do, it has to cooperate with the rest of Windows' code, and it has to be compatible with whatever you throw at it. In a very real sense the software has to be better than Microsoft's original code for Windows (insert joke about Microsoft's quality).

That said, my experience was years ago, the program is likely hugely improved since then, and if you find the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for you then I wouldn't worry unless you MUST have the program mentioned in the OP (original post). If you enjoy the software you're using you could do a web search for programs similar to the one in the OP, one may cooperate better with Stardock (or is it vice versa?).