I have a Dell Dimension 8200 running XP pro. I keep all my software up to date for Ad-aware, Spybot, Norton System works 2004, and Spyware blaster. I ran a scan today with all my scanners and nothing showed up. I had BlueJay running( writing some programs for class), internet explorer, and aim running.

I was taking a break from writing code to play a game from WorldWinner.com. I was in the middle of my third game when the screen turned white and the sound from the game was in a constant 1 sec loop. I tried ctrl alt delete with no success. I finally just held the power botton until the computer shut down.

Now on to my problem. Above were the last things I did today on my computer. I can not boot my computer up or anything now. I hit the power button and it sounds normal and then it just stops. I was able to open and close the cd and dvd drive and when i put a disc in it will spin like normal, but my screen remains the same blank. Any suggestions please help. Thank you for your time.

definatly sounds like a hardware problem - PSU, RAM, CPU, Video Card are most likely the cause

Do the fans start up and stay on, or do they quit?

Will the computer stay on with the screen blank, or does it eventually shut itself off?

If it continues to run like normal without a visual I'd say it's the video card - check to see that it's firmly in it's slot (if it's onboard vid you might just need to buy a new card)

Edited by xxkbxx
Thanks everyone for all your help.  I have come to the conclusion its my video card.  Any suggestions on a possible upgrade to my NVidia GeForce4 TI 4600?  Thanks once again everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as it was not beeping before any memory was tested it is most likely not a video card problem unless its PCI. AGP video cards errors cause a BIOS beep. the no fans turning on is a indication of a Power Problem memory or a HD cable coming loose.

but the only way to test for sure is to put that card in another system or a cheep card in..

also if this is a upgraded card, it could be you have a power problem that caused a BIOS reset. I had a issue with that card that the bios would try agp 2x and the card showed no video. I reset the bios jumper on the Mother Board and the BIOS redetected the card at the correct speed (not all cards like 2x).

the beeps with memory are suggesting that its a dual channel memory board or you did not plug them in all the way when removing/replacing

It is a PCI card. I was on the phone with dell this morning and the conclusion from all the tests everybody here suggested and a few dell suggested was that my video card is spent(funny how that happens 1 month after my warranty ends). I dont think I want to buy from dell a new video card and the person I talked to said the only card is there card, and they didnt even have any upgrade suggestions when I asked.

For an upgrade I really dont know what I want. Maybe a card good enough for FEAR or possibly BF2 but if my system cant handle it thats fine too, an improvement from what I had would be great as well, really only have money to upgrade video card right now.

on a side note I just got off the phone with Dell and they said the only card that would work would cost $450 (ATI Radeon R350). Please tell me this isnt true.

Edited by Deucehearts
It is a PCI card.  I was on the phone with dell this morning and the conclusion from all the tests everybody here suggested and a few dell suggested was that my video card is spent(funny how that happens 1 month after my warranty ends).  I dont think I want to buy from dell a new video card and the person I talked to said the only card is there card, and they didnt even have any upgrade suggestions  when I asked.

For an upgrade I really dont know what I want.  Maybe a card good enough for FEAR or possibly BF2 but if my system cant handle it thats fine too, an improvement from what I had would be great as well, really only have money to upgrade video card right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nvidia FX5200 128meg PCI cards is nice enough (it is PCI)

here is one version

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...affiliate=yahoo

Nvidia makes most their cards (except high level ones in both.. why the trouble shooting problem)

rule one Dell Techs know nothing.. they have a script they follow, they are almost as dumb as the Geek Squad..

I don't know too much about the different levels of video cards - but I'm 99.99% sure any video card would work with your Dell as long as it's PCI based - not their $450 card. That's pretty rediculous - reminds me of the time the Dell Laptop seminar people at college told my brother that Dell's only work with Dell Printers - uh huh... :huh:

Would this card be compatible?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102403

like I said before if I'm getting one I want to upgrade a little not downgrade and video cards are not my strongest area. thanks everyone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no that is for Apple.. The one I listed before is a Upgrade to the one you had..

Hey everyone. The card recommended to me unfortunately didnt work, it doesnt even fit in the slot the old video card did. Any suggestions? Why wont it fit?

My old card is a 128MB DDR NVidia GeForce4 TI4600 with TV-Out and DVI.

The Card reccomended was a Chaintech GeForce FX5200

Edited by Deucehearts