Snows A Coming

Last Wednesday, temps dropped down into the low 30s here. And we got a skiff of snow on Terry Peak. (about 8 miles from me and all up-hill). Didn't last long tho. But now we are going to get an Arctic cold front swinging down from Canada. The forecast says lows will be mid to low 20s and SNOW for us here. (I live close to the 1 mile above sea level mark). It's coming a little early. Halloween is when we expect our first snow falls to start hitting.

Darn! Time to dig out the storm windows and get them up. Then start storing all the nice weather toys away, and find the snow shovels, boots, long underwear, and all the cold weather toys. (if you want to call them that).....LOL

But the Fall colors are in full swing here and it's fantastic. Just hope the cold doesn't cause a freeze and kill all the colors. (for those who don't understand, freezing just turns all the leaves brown).

O' Well. If I didn't like the area and snow. I would leave. But this is home. (both childhood and adult). And tho I have travled alot. I still like it here.

Now....Where's the long underware stored.....

There was snow on Pikes Peak every month this year except a few weeks of August. The Winter pack didn't melt off until mid July this year. There was snow on the peak as early as the first week of September this year.

I haven't seen that since the late 80's. The last few years it's been bald from May to September. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Edited by CataclysmCow

In my neck of the woods, Northern B.C., Canada, we are into a nice Fall season. The weather is cool, but, we haven't had our first frost yet. I expect it to cool off in late October and go below freezing during the evening hours. The leaves are falling and the mountain outside our back window is beautiful.

My 11 year old is debating with her friend about what type of costume she should wear for Halloween.

hi team yes the

weather patterns are topsy turvey

some time back in the winter

i posted we hadent had a fall of snow all through the winter

and all ski fields were closed

and the space of one day.

i had snow 1ft thick on my front lawn.unusual for my area.

and all of a sudden the ski fields were open.

so those patterns are unpredictable .

i threw snow balls at the school children going past my gate

and dammit i lost the snow ball war.

we are lucky here as we dont get the falls

as some of you do.

because most of our land mass is near the sea.

which makes for a warmer

climate.

but like JS i love it

marty

... SNOW ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I'm on break at work and we're watching the weather on TV. They mention the snow coming your way and I say, "Well, there it is, the first mention of snow." People panicked! What I meant was that snow's falling up your way and that means it's inevitable here, although a month or so away. What they heard was, it's snowing here soon. I tried explaining but the whole concept of the weather out West being a portent of our weather apparently was over their heads. People don't "get" me. :unsure:

But then, I love snow and they don't, so that just goes to show you ... umm, well, I don't know what that proves, but there it is.

Snow....ah yes, that time of year is coming quickly indeed, and us Canucks are ready as usual...eh Hitest!

Of course, we're never really NOT ready for snow up here, cause it can come at any time. Haven't seen it for some time, but we can still get some snow in June, last time was in 98 I believe.

That year we had a real freak snowstorm hit us in June, and I ended up in the wildest rescue I've ever been involved in. Some Chinese exchange student ended up wrapped inside a semi-trailer's front wheel, in the ditch, neck deep in 4-5 ft of freezing slush water, 10 miles out on the highway.

All that was visible was his head poking out from the wheel well, it took us 3 hrs to get him out, barely alive but he survived, and no major injuries. Hypothermia just about got him, his heart stopped 3 times on way to hospital, but we got him started again each time.

The BBC did a show on the rescue in 99, and we recreated it for them on a blazing hot July day, try looking frozen when its 100 degrees out....

I have a tape of the program along with actual footage from the rescue, someday I'll convert it from VCR and post it, it's very intense stuff.

Well, I sidebarred there didn't I....sorry....Yep, snows coming!

Not hitchiking, their car hit the ditch and they were walking on the highway in a blinding snowstorm...the semi lost control and clipped them, dragging him up into the front wheel well, ending up in the center ditch of the divided highway.

Really freaky, but he was the luckiest person alive that day...

snow????!!!!??!?!?!?!??!??!?!!!???!?................................................................ still in the 80's-90's here in the middle of Big Orange Country (Tennessee for you non NCAA inclined folks out there)

Nnnnoooooo!  *Sob, sniff, pout, wail*  I'm not ready for snow again......I keep remembering last winter........Nnnnnnnoooooooo!!!!!  Gad, I hate winter  :angry:

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wanna switch places? :)

The most snow we got last year was frost. :rolleyes: Id love to see a little snow.

I spent a summer in Fort Worth, I'd gladly trade!!! :thumbsup:

Born and partly raised in Chicago. Mom decided she didn't want to live through another Chicago winter. We moved to Texas. I was the only one who didn't get "heatsick" and the only one who enjoyed the 105 degree weather. After 2 months in Texas, Parents decided to move to Michigan-----Michigan????? Whaaaa????? What were they thinking, especially not wanting to deal with 40 degree Chicago winters?????? Still haven't forgiven them for moving up here :)

Hubby "jokes" that "as soon as his body is cold, I'm moving to Florida"....but.....he's right!!!!

Liz

Edited by blim

Well, I mowed my lawn for the last time of the year. Didn't really need it. grass has already stopped growing for the season. But had to do it.

Put the mower away for the year and started getting the snowblower ready. (sure glad I bought one). Local foracast is still saying to expect snow, so I guess ol' man winters a-coming early. I love the first snowfall. It's the 1000th one I get tired of. LOL

Heard on TV Montana and Idaho getting 5" this morning. So at least I know how much to expect.

For my friends in the southern states. Enjoy the nice days ahead for me. :)

The Great Lakes are quite warm this year. We should have mild temps but some heavy lake effect snowstorms. I have a couple friends with plows in case the snow gets too heavy for the snowblower or my back. I figure another 200"+ snowfall this winter for Central NY unless it stays extremely warm due to the lakes and rains most of the time.

Snow? Where? Are we gonna skip fall like we did spring here in SW Mich?

Tuesday: Partly cloudy. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 87F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.

Tuesday night: Partly cloudy. Low around 65F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday: Intervals of clouds and sunshine. Very warm. High around 85F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph.

Wednesday night: Isolated thunderstorms in the evening with a few showers possible overnight. Low 57F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Bozodog!!!! Shhhhhhhhhh on the snow. I still have green tomatoes in the garden and windows to wash ;):thumbsup::)

Muskegon, MI (near me) broke a "record high temperature" yesterday with 81 beautiful muggy degrees. The old record was 79. AND it's been 7 years since we've had an 80 degree day in October. Looks like we're going to get 3 of them this year. :) Yeah, I'm a heat lover....

But the temps are supposed to drop 25 degrees on Thursday--back to normal.

Liz

Edited by blim
I live in the south where the Red-Necks rome. I still have 90s right darre!. :D

I am a Flor-rid-dion. I am part red-neck caus my father is from kuntuckie right dare!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im in latino texas

Its still 90's here,and we only get snow 1 day a year, and its about 5mm thick. and that's if we even get that 1 day a year

Sunny but cool today, although thats better than yesterday. I had to drive 2 1/2 hours North yesterday to pick up a machine. Drove through a few pretty good snow flurries once in a while. Some areas the trees and ditches were white but it didn't last long.

By the time I came back it had pretty well melted. :D

Well, here it is. Foggy and rainy all day with temps around 35. Now it's coming down hard and even sticking to the streets.

Now the local news is saying 1 to 6 inches down on the plains and 6 to 10 inches here in the hills (with possible more then that).

The police scanner has been reporting cars in the ditch all over. Wife just went to work and called saying she was slipping all over, even in four wheel drive. Said she should have fun coming home later.

Yes, Ol' Man Winter's here. Glad I got all my wood in this spring. Nice fire going in the parlor stove as I write.

A little over an inch right now outside, But I can hardly see the hillside across from me, so I think we're going to get a good buildup of the white stuff.

neig04.gif