Well I was wondering if you guys have a preferred one?

My ISP has sent me a letter pertaining to a violation of TOS, due to obusive language. So my mother has now asked me to monitor my sisters ( 19, 20 [ soon to be 21]) messages to see this "swearing".

I am just seeing if there are "preffered ones"

thanks

~Jose

( yes my spelling is horrible)

Well I was wondering if you guys have a preferred one?

My ISP has sent me a letter pertaining to a violation of TOS, due to obusive language. So my mother has now asked me to monitor my sisters ( 19, 20 [ soon to be 21]) messages to see this "swearing".

I am just seeing if there are "preffered ones"

thanks

~Jose

( yes my spelling is horrible)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't belive you for a second.

Jose jose...I can't belive this, trying to lie...

I don't have an opinion on key loggers, I have never used one. But you got me curious, who did your sister swear at, I can't imagine an isp really caring, so long as you are not doing something criminal

Edited by shanenin

OK, Jose, you have always seemed sincere to me and you better not be doing anything naughty or I'll have to hunt you down and ground you from your computer!!!

Coming from a "mom's point of view", it could be that the sisters are minimizing boxes when mom walks into the room, which certainly raises suspicions! No ISP letter is needed when a mom is concerned what her daughters are "up to" on the net-- too many perverts out there.

I do know of two items that might help, but first, talk to your mom and see exactly what her concerns are--whether she is worried about where your sisters are going on the net, or what they are saying in AIM.

But before installing anything, I suggest to ....lie....(and I rarely suggest lying, but in this case, it is for your sisters' benefit, so a "white lie") and "warn" your sisters that you already installed a keylogger due to your mom's request (without actually doing it ;) ) and see if that curtails their suspicious activities. Most girls that age are NOT techy enough to try to find the non-existant keylogger (I have one of my own, bless her non techy heart) And the beauty of that tactic is that you won't have another program on your computer taking up space.

Liz

I don't have an opinion on key loggers, I have never used one. But you got me curious, who did your sister swear at, I can't imagine an isp really caring, so long as you are not doing something criminal

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I f I where to guess, it would be an IM conversation gone awry and someone was reported. Wouldn't happen to be an AOL user would you? Aside from that and maybe cursing in a kids only chat room I cant see any reason for any curse to be against an ISP's TOS. Not to be overly nosey what provider do you use?

I deffinately do not agree with the ide of puting a keylogger on anyones computer without consent (not that anyone would give consent), particularly smeone who's old enough to vote, serve in the military, and be sentenced as an adult.

Edited by naraku9333

its SBC yahoo...I read the email ( as i am the tech savy person in my house i run anything with the computer).

First thing i checked when my mom told me about it ,was to see if the email asked for a password and so on. If it did, then i know it to be a fake, but i didnt see that.

Well I have already warned my sisters about me having a "keylogger" on my pc, but it has been about 4 months since i have told them. They are stubborn and will have to learn the hard way i suppose.

Well, I have had to use them at work. And friend who wanted to make sure their young children are safe. I Have tried different ones. Some are easier then others.

If you need to try one. Here are several to check out. First column, Towards bottom of page.

Keyloggers

Your sisters are adults. Isn't it time for them to get their own accounts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BANG! I don't know why I didn't see that first off. Nineteen, twenty and twenty-one? Tell 'em to pay for their own ISP (some won't issue different accounts to one address though). Or mom, if she uses the computer, could get another ISP and let the girls worry about losing their account access.

One reason I'd go that route is it should NOT be necessary to babysit adults, thus, no keylogger -- If you ask me.

I cant see any reason for any curse to be against an ISP's TOS.

All the major ISPs will have something similar in their TOS. His ISP, SBC Yahoo, states that

You agree that you will NOT use the Service to:

(a) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content (as defined below) that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

Read your own TOS. You'll be suprised what's in there.

It's very doubtfull that his ISP is monitoring his traffic. It's much more likely that someone else (AOL?) filed a complaint.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BANG! I don't know why I didn't see that first off. Nineteen, twenty and twenty-one? Tell 'em to pay for their own ISP (some won't issue different accounts to one address though). Or mom, if she uses the computer, could get another ISP and let the girls worry about losing their account access.

One reason I'd go that route is it should NOT be necessary to babysit adults, thus, no keylogger -- If you ask me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great answers, but in this case, the girls aren't acting like adults!!! As long as they're living at home, they still need to respect Mom's rules, and if they occasionally need to be treated as children, so be it!.

I don't know about how seperate ISP accounts work, but some of my kids friends got cellphones and when they got into trouble with them, it all backfired onto their parents (which is why my kids have tracfones!!), so I can see Jose's Mom's side--kids luxuries aren't worth denting the parents credit report.

Looks like Jsky has a good list (I read Perfect Keylogger is good). For AIM, Son found something called Middleman that he uses on his own AIM account just for fun. I don't know how it works but he has the ability to save conversation logs. You'll have to google to find it, and read exactly how it works, but you'll figure it out quicker than I would! ;)

Sixpac's answer is sooooooo tempting me...... :rolleyes:

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great answers, but in this case, the girls aren't acting like adults!!! As long as they're living at home, they still need to respect Mom's rules, and if they occasionally need to be treated as children, so be it!.

I don't know about how seperate ISP accounts work, but some of my kids friends got cellphones and when they got into trouble with them, it all backfired onto their parents (which is why my kids have tracfones!!), so I can see Jose's Mom's side--kids luxuries aren't worth denting the parents credit report.

Looks like Jsky has a good list (I read Perfect Keylogger is good). For AIM, Son found something called Middleman that he uses on his own AIM account just for fun. I don't know how it works but he has the ability to save conversation logs. You'll have to google to find it, and read exactly how it works, but you'll figure it out quicker than I would! ;)

Sixpac's answer is sooooooo tempting me...... :rolleyes:

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmmm, will check out that list...

Liz you got my moms point of view exactly right, as in the hispanic culture you always respect your elders ( until they have disearned it).

that middle man, the ironic thing is i just went over to a friends to tell her how to bypass it :). I think it was "middleman", i will soon find out

thanks guys

~jose

You agree that you will NOT use the Service to:

(a) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content (as defined below) that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious , defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

[bold emphasis added]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Had to look up "tortious," never heard of it. My computer dictionary hadn't either. Finally found it online. Thank goodness it didn't refer to "torture," which was my first thought (and made me wonder how the heck you can be accused of torture online). (Oh, wait, G4 ... now that was torture!)